Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phone tracking/monitoring for children

Does anybody know of any good phone monitoring apps so that I can look at my Son's location, messages and browsing history.

Maybe a little too far, but it's his first phone and I just want to keep an eye on things at the start.

Comments

• Try the tile app. I have this for the tile fob thing but it works for phones as well.
  • He's 19 @BR3red let him fly :-)

Find Friends gives you location

Hahahaha.

Little does he know I've had a phone for 8 years!!

:-)
  • Not sure such a thing exists to track to that extent. Not unless you're part of the NSA!
  • How do you check up on where he is at the moment when he doesn't have a 'phone? Why not talk to him about who and what he should and shouldn't be talking to and looking at and then go through his history with him rather than spying on him?

I may just be awkward but if I'd known my parents were doing that when I was a kid, I'd have done all I could to subvert it - look up stuff on a friend's computer, turn off my 'phone & leave it at a friend's if I wanted to go somewhere and not let them know, etc.
  • How do you check up on where he is at the moment when he doesn't have a 'phone? Why not talk to him about who and what he should and shouldn't be talking to and looking at and then go through his history with him rather than spying on him?

I may just be awkward but if I'd known my parents were doing that when I was a kid, I'd have done all I could to subvert it - look up stuff on a friend's computer, turn off my 'phone & leave it at a friend's if I wanted to go somewhere and not let them know, etc.

Yeah kids know how to hide stuff if they don't want you to see it. He'll just download a VPN for his phone if there's something he doesn't want you to see...

I understand your point.

Few things:

He is 10 goes to big school in Sept, so really hasn't been able to "fly" just yet.

I am not the sort of person that will use it but he will know that I can if I have concerns.

I won't be spying on him.

He is a good lad but anyone can get led astray, I was purely wondering if there was an app out there that could potentially help.

Thanks anyway, found something that may be suitable- teensafe if anyone is interested.

Will give the free trial a go.
  • BR3red said:

Does anybody know of any good phone monitoring apps so that I can look at my Son's location, messages and browsing history.

Maybe a little too far, but it's his first phone and I just want to keep an eye on things at the start.

Depends what make and model it is, but my personal opinion is the most you need to know is the location (easiest to do and the least invasion of privacy).

If you don't trust your son to use messaging or the internet appropriately then do not give him a phone. The easiest way of seeing what he is doing in texts and on the internet is going through his phone yourself. The very least you owe your child is letting them know you will be occasionally checking his phone to ensure his safety. Then if he does something you don't agree with it's his own silly fault.
  • Just a heads up - whatever you use, you may want to check how severely it's going to impact battery life and data usage.

If its going to be using location services and data constantly, then I imagine it'll pack a hefty punch on the battery life. Which may be counterproductive if he does need to get in contact with you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

BR3red said:

Depends what make and model it is, but my personal opinion is the most you need to know is the location (easiest to do and the least invasion of privacy).

If you don't trust your son to use messaging or the internet appropriately then do not give him a phone. The easiest way of seeing what he is doing in texts and on the internet is going through his phone yourself. The very least you owe your child is letting them know you will be occasionally checking his phone to ensure his safety. Then if he does something you don't agree with it's his own silly fault.
    Completely agree, but as canters said you can get around a lot with deleting, clearing history, etc. as I have said I will not be invading his privacy unless I am concerned.

To not have a phone, As I said he is young, peer pressure to have a phone when going to secondary school is extremely high.

I just wanted another tool to help with the transition...
  • BR3red said:

Fiiish said:

BR3red said:

Completely agree, but as canters said you can get around a lot with deleting, clearing history, etc. as I have said I will not be invading his privacy unless I am concerned.

To not have a phone, As I said he is young, peer pressure to have a phone when going to secondary school is extremely high.

I just wanted another tool to help with the transition...
    There are apps that act as parental controls that you can passcode so your child cannot deactivate, at least then they will not be able to access inappropriate material. As for messaging, I'm not sure as there are tonnes of messaging apps with varying degrees of security. Certain phones also have in-built parental controls that can restrict access to certain applications as well.

As others have highlighted, there is no perfect solution as there are ways around everything. Your child has as much right to privacy as anyone else and there's no app that can replace trust.
  • BR3red said:

How do you check up on where he is at the moment when he doesn't have a 'phone? Why not talk to him about who and what he should and shouldn't be talking to and looking at and then go through his history with him rather than spying on him?

I understand your point.

Few things:

He is 10 goes to big school in Sept, so really hasn't been able to "fly" just yet.

I am not the sort of person that will use it but he will know that I can if I have concerns.

I won't be spying on him.

He is a good lad but anyone can get led astray, I was purely wondering if there was an app out there that could potentially help.

Thanks anyway, found something that may be suitable- teensafe if anyone is interested.

Will give the free trial a go.
    Forget teensafe! Not available in UK.
  • Life 360 may be one to try.
  • Don't blame you by the way @BR3red, whem my kids get older and into teens I will definitely be a snooper until the time I'm confident of them being secure and streetwise enough to ensure their own safety.

Internet and social media access carries a thousand different potential issues and pitfuls for adults, let alone for kids
  • Google Maps has the feature now...

I went for my first 10k run a few nights ago and wanted to be tracked from home in case I got into any difficulty... You can set it so that you only be tracked for a certain number of hours.

https://google.co.uk/maps/@51.3984817,0.4813376,14z/data=!4m2!7m1!2e1?hl=en
  • edited April 2017

Don't blame you by the way @BR3red, whem my kids get older and into teens I will definitely be a snooper until the time I'm confident of them being secure and streetwise enough to ensure their own safety.

Internet and social media access carries a thousand different potential issues and pitfuls for adults, let alone for kids</blockquote

• any help that I can get...
  • Sponsored links:

• Friend of mine uses something called Strava to track and map his bike rides. I think it's free but I'm guessing that you can only see where he's been (and at what speed!) after the event and that you have to activate and de-activate it for every session. So maybe not ideal.

• edited April 2017
    BR3red said:

How do you check up on where he is at the moment when he doesn't have a 'phone? Why not talk to him about who and what he should and shouldn't be talking to and looking at and then go through his history with him rather than spying on him?

Lies

I went for my first 10k run a few nights ago and wanted to be tracked from home in case I got into any difficulty... You can set it so that you only be tracked for a certain number of hours.

Looks interesting thanks for the like @ForeverAddickted

Have been thinking about an app like this recently as Mrs TT and myself very occasionally ride our motorbikes separately and it would be helpful to know where each other is and what time we will return.

Just tried it out and she lost connection with the app. I guess that an internet connection is required, do you know? If so, this not going to work in rural Devon, we often cant get a mobile signal.

Shame as it seemed a good idea and could even work when a load of us ride out and go at different speeds.

Looks interesting thanks for the like @ForeverAddickted

Have been thinking about an app like this recently as Mrs TT and myself very occasionally ride our motorbikes separately and it would be helpful to know where each other is and what time we will return.

Just tried it out and she lost connection with the app. I guess that an internet connection is required, do you know? If so, this not going to work in rural Devon, we often cant get a mobile signal.

Shame as it seemed a good idea and could even work when a load of us ride out and go at different speeds.
    I guess Mobile Connection is required as when I was out running I appeared to stop for 10mins when I was out in a bit of a black spot...

You can download areas of the maps to use when you've got no mobile connection but that'll be more for navigation rather than tracking.
  • I guess you will need mobile reception for everything that doesn't use a separate GPS tracker?

A GPS Sports watch would provide a separate tracker that could update to an internet connection whenever available.

Can't see you getting better than that.