Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alan Turing biopic The Imitation Game starting on C4 9pm

RD think's he's an Alan Turing, for anyone that didn't know.

Comments

• Hmm, I can see the similarities straight away. Rude barsteward.
  • Good film
  • Hmm, I can see the similarities straight away. Rude barsteward.

Or one is a national treasure the other is a git.
  • Pretty sure Benedict Cumberbatch won't play Roland in the film of his life.
  • Alan Turing was a rude, but very clever man. Unlike Roland who is just rude.

• I think calling The Imitation Game a biopic is a stretch. I gather it's not very accurate at all. It's more like Big Bang Theory: The Movie with Benedict Cumberbatch as Sheldon Cooper.
  • Could it be that RD also styles himself after Charlton's own raconteur and man about Floyd Road, the irrespressible, and some would venture highly opinionated, Henry 'Cardigan' Irving?

In an interview given to the KU Leuven student newspaper Campuskrant in 2012 (at the same Stayen restaurant made famous by the Duchatelet window double-take) the student interviewer, early on in the the encounter with RD tells us that:

Today, Pullover is equally straightforward, be it when ordering a hot chocolate or if he gives his opinion on the overall social situation.

(This may owe something to Google translate however).

• Does anyone know where that interview is where RD likened himself to Turing ?
  • edited April 2017
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/based-on-a-true-true-story/

Website that breaks down a film scene by scene and says whether each is true or not. Then aggregates into a percentage score.

Scrolling down to Imitation Game. Got a 41.4% truth score and most of the "true" scenes don't even relate to Turing's time at Bletchley Park.

Great film, portrays the man poorly.
  • http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/based-on-a-true-true-story/

Website that breaks down a film scene by scene and says whether each is true or not. Then aggregates into a percentage score.

Scrolling down to Imitation Game. Got a 41.4% truth score and most of the "true" scenes don't even relate to Turing's time at Bletchley Park.

That might be an accurate score but the film will have led to people looking him up on the web and discovering his immense contribution to the war effort. Especially keeping the atlantic supply convoys safe from u-boats.

One research piece suggests that Turing and his team might have saved two years off the war and millions of lives.

People who know that period are far better qualified than I to determine whether the film is an accurate portrayal of his life. Somewhat ironic that somebody chooses to decompose a film to then decode the veracity of the message!
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/based-on-a-true-true-story/

Especially keeping the atlantic supply convoys safe from u-boats.
    Steady on.
  • edited April 2017

Does anyone know where that interview is where RD likened himself to Turing ?

It is said to be in a Belgian paper called De Morgen I think but the interview itself may be available only to on-line subscribers.

The quote about the interview reads:

2015 - In one interview, with Belgian journalist Douglas de Coninck, he compared himself with wartime codebreaker Alan Turing

It is said to be in a Belgian paper called De Morgen I think but the interview itself may be available only to on-line subscribers.

2015 - In one interview, with Belgian journalist Douglas de Coninck, he compared himself with wartime codebreaker Alan Turing
    Thanks for that. I had a feeling it got a greater airing in a Trust news article written by Weegie, a couple of years ago.

Thanks for that. I had a feeling it got a greater airing in a Trust news article written by Weegie, a couple of years ago.
    Can't find it in the Weegie 'bio'

but I think its mentioned in the webcast whatever the term is:

https://medium.com/.../how-roland-duchâtelet-and-katrien-meire-are-killing-charlton-...

It seems to take for ever to download and you have to go though a lot of older stuff I seem to recall.

• C H O'D Alexander, the guy who's originally in charge that Turing takes over from (in the film at least, don't know if that actually happened), was one of England's top chess players and continued to work in intelligence after the war. Supposedly, when he was invited to play a tournament behind the iron curtain, he'd be taken off sensitive work quite a few weeks before he went so the Soviets would know he wasn't worth trying to turn as the info he'd have would be out of date.
  • edited April 2017

Does anyone know where that interview is where RD likened himself to Turing ?

https://issuu.com/castrust/docs/tnt10/15

Ahhhh, that explains it: that is indeed the article by de Coninck translated for the CASTrust newsletter by Weggie Addick.

At an early stage following the take-over the CASTrust tried to track down as much info about Duchatelet the man and Duchatelet the businessman in order to find out how he ticks, how his businesses operate and what he might have in store for Charlton. The omens were not good.

The Lone Gunman (in VOTV 112 of May 2014) attempted something similar and having done so he ended the piece with this quote:

'.........hope to be around when the Duchatelet 'interlude' at Charlton is over and will be surprised if it lasts four years...............'

Lets hope he's right...even 3.5 years will have been too many.

Thanks for that Mountsfield. I've just read it again, it takes a while. RD is such a complex man.

He's either a genius or he's bonkers.

I feel he's 20% genius 80% bonkers.