Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kelvin MacKenzie

Comments

• McBobbin said:

Surprised anyone in Liverpool even new about that column. That tossrag of a paper isn't even for sale round there

Probably one of the very few positives for living in Liverpool
  • edited April 2017
    I find it hard to believe that no-one at the Sun was aware of Barkley's heritage. They print attention-seeking drivel like this to stir it up and get the publicity. This time it backfired and I hope they go bust.
  • Carter said:

I'll readily admit I don't like Kelvin McKenzie but I'm uncomfortable with the racism angle of this if I'm honest. What has he said that is racially offensive?

The words as I read them were an insult to Barkleys perceived gormlessness as I have read them. I don't see what relevance his heritage or family lineage is to that.

Mckenzie says plenty of offensive things and has had direct involvement in some offensive things. Being as objective I can I don't think he has done anything racist here.

Frankie Boyle once described Wayne Rooney as looking like someone had shaved a chimp and kicked it through primark. Is that offensive to Wayne Rooney or chimps or what?

To reiterate I don't like Kelvin McKenzie and don't have sympathy for him given he has made a pretty lucrative career out of saying obnoxious things but he is only guilty of saying disparaging things about the punters in the bar that the attack on Ross Barkley happened.

Gareth Bale is often compared with a chimp as well
    Is he related to Jordan Henderson then?

And why do half the man utd team look like they are related to Dobby the House Elf? They are rapidly becoming the ugliest team in the history of football. (That's if you are allowed to exclude Eric Gates from the Ipswich team of the 70s/80s of course.)
  • cafcfan said:

Carter said:

I'll readily admit I don't like Kelvin McKenzie but I'm uncomfortable with the racism angle of this if I'm honest. What has he said that is racially offensive?

The words as I read them were an insult to Barkleys perceived gormlessness as I have read them. I don't see what relevance his heritage or family lineage is to that.

Mckenzie says plenty of offensive things and has had direct involvement in some offensive things. Being as objective I can I don't think he has done anything racist here.

Frankie Boyle once described Wayne Rooney as looking like someone had shaved a chimp and kicked it through primark. Is that offensive to Wayne Rooney or chimps or what?

To reiterate I don't like Kelvin McKenzie and don't have sympathy for him given he has made a pretty lucrative career out of saying obnoxious things but he is only guilty of saying disparaging things about the punters in the bar that the attack on Ross Barkley happened.

Gareth Bale is often compared with a chimp as well
    Is he related to Jordan Henderson then?

And why do half the man utd team look like they are related to Dobby the House Elf? They are rapidly becoming the ugliest team in the history of football. (That's if you are allowed to exclude Eric Gates from the Ipswich team of the 70s/80s of course.)
    Downe was the best looking though....
  • I'd have more respect for Everton if they returned all their sky money if they were so offended.

This
  • Barkley's Nigerian heritage was news in several dailies last year and previously. There is no way he can be likened to an ape. He is a skillful rather than physical player, tall and lean and most women would consider him attractive without his £60k a week. The gorilla slur can only be attributed to his ancestry. If McKenzie researced his wage and age it is unlikely he didn't uncover these facts as well. Additionally he is a football fan, not a naive journalist.
  • redman said:

I haven't read the full article but reading the excerpts printed in that piece on the BBC website I have to defend Mr McKenzie. He didnt say Barkley looked like a gorilla, he said he has a look in his eyes, like you see in a gorilla in a zoo. He is not comparing him to a gorilla, but the that he has a faraway look in his eyes, like a zoo specimen has when being stuck in captivity.

I am certainly no fan of Mackenzie but typical of the media (and certain CL posters) that a "story" is jumped on & hyped him without actually reading what has been printed

So you really think it is Ok for him to continually insult and abuse the people of Liverpool? It is totally prejudicial and if you think that is Ok then you are probably as big a scumbag as he is. The people of Liverpool have been the subject of his insults and intuition for at least 26 years. The gorilla thing is a red herring and he is one of the world's biggest scumbags and if he agree with even one one word of his bile the you are too.
    I never mentioned Liverpool, did I ??? I was commenting on the racial slur & pointing out that he didn't say what people are saying he said. The only complaint has come from the Mayor of Liverpool - and that was about the drug dealers reference & not about the so-called racial undertone
    Not specifically but it was implied. Your original piece said "I have to defend Mr McKenzie". If your comment was only about the racism then it was not clear and we are talking cross purposes.
  • I haven't read the full article but reading the excerpts printed in that piece on the BBC website I have to defend Mr McKenzie. He didnt say Barkley looked like a gorilla, he said he has a look in his eyes, like you see in a gorilla in a zoo. He is not comparing him to a gorilla, but the that he has a faraway look in his eyes, like a zoo specimen has when being stuck in captivity.

I am certainly no fan of Mackenzie but typical of the media (and certain CL posters) that a "story" is jumped on & hyped him without actually reading what has been printed

How many gorillas do you think McKenzie has looked in the eye?
  • Sponsored links:

• I haven't read the full article but reading the excerpts printed in that piece on the BBC website I have to defend Mr McKenzie. He didnt say Barkley looked like a gorilla, he said he has a look in his eyes, like you see in a gorilla in a zoo. He is not comparing him to a gorilla, but the that he has a faraway look in his eyes, like a zoo specimen has when being stuck in captivity.

Too few.

But that's given me a great idea for a gofundme page...
  • Chizz said:

I haven't read the full article but reading the excerpts printed in that piece on the BBC website I have to defend Mr McKenzie. He didnt say Barkley looked like a gorilla, he said he has a look in his eyes, like you see in a gorilla in a zoo. He is not comparing him to a gorilla, but the that he has a faraway look in his eyes, like a zoo specimen has when being stuck in captivity.

Too few.

But that's given me a great idea for a gofundme page...
    Let's raise money for KM to go into a gorilla enclosure and tell the alpha male he looks like Ross Barkely. I contribute to that.

If he's bothered to he would have seen they have very human eyes. The ones in London zoo certainly look pissed off with their lot in life.
  • Someone called me an ape once. I didn't give a monkeys!
  • I would be interested to know how many people knew he had Nigerian grandparents, not many I'm guessing.
  • He's been spouting vile filth for far, far too long
  • Chizz said:

He's been spouting vile filth for far, far too long

Is that real ? Surely not ?
  • se9addick said:

Chizz said:

Maybe Kelvin got his information from an article like this one, with statistics from the American Centre for Disease Control :

http://www.returnofkings.com/3882/the-truth-about-aids
  • edited April 2017
    So is it not virtually impossible for a straight non drug injecting individual to contract HIV?
  • Sponsored links:

• I would be interested to know how many people knew he had Nigerian grandparents, not many I'm guessing.

Agreed. I, for one, had no idea. Is everyone supposed to know the family backgrounds of all Premiership players ?
    McKenzie's article is pathetic but racist ? Nowhere close.
  • se9addick said:

Chizz said:

Maybe Kelvin got his information from an article like this one, with statistics from the American Centre for Disease Control :

http://www.returnofkings.com/3882/the-truth-about-aids
    That whole site is a load of poisonous shite. He probably did get his info there.
    Addickted said:

So is it not virtually impossible for a straight non drug injecting individual to contract HIV?

Not in the least. But transmission is more likely from anal sex from vaginal sex, and more likely from a man to a woman after a heterosexual sex act than the other way round. But it happens. Straight people engage in anal sex too. Depends on lots of factors, such as if the male is circumcised. Here's a link to an article discussing it http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2014/07/10/330217262/why-hiv-spreads-less-easily-in-heterosexual-couples

I'm mean think about it, in countries with high incidence of HIV, in sub Saharan Africa, is it only gay men and junkies? Of course not.
  • edited April 2017

I would be interested to know how many people knew he had Nigerian grandparents, not many I'm guessing.

Agreed. I, for one, had no idea. Is everyone supposed to know the family backgrounds of all Premiership players ?
    If you are getting paid £300,000 for a column in a paper it probably wouldn't take 5 minutes to check Wikipedia before you start slagging soneone off about their intelligence. Maybe try a bit of actual investigative journalism to back up your claims that someone is as thick as you think they are?
  • Thanks for that @McBobbin. I never knew there were different versions of the virus - some 'fitter' than the others, or more likely to infect the HIV- individual.
  • Addickted said:

Thanks for that @McBobbin. I never knew there were different versions of the virus - some 'fitter' than the others, or more likely to infect the HIV- individual.

No worries! From a scientific viewpoint it's a fascinating virus, always mutating. Makes it a massive challenge to treat and vaccinate against though.
  • edited April 2017
    1StevieG said:

I would be interested to know how many people knew he had Nigerian grandparents, not many I'm guessing.

If you are getting paid £300,000 for a column in a paper it probably wouldn't take 5 minutes to check Wikipedia before you start slagging soneone off about their intelligence. Maybe try a bit of actual investigative journalism to back up your claims that someone is as thick as you think they are?
    Yes. However, I was posting in response to the previous post which questioned if many people would know about Barkley's heritage - not just journalists.
  • edited April 2017

1StevieG said:

Yes. However, I was posting in response to the previous post which questioned if many people would know about Barkley's heritage - not just journalists.
    I doubt many, even Everton fans, would know that fact about Barkleys heritage. I agree it's not racist what he has written instead it's incredibly inappropriate that some fact checking would not go amiss considering Kelvin is a journalist. Everyone is entitled to free speech but putting it in writing in the public domain requires a little bit more scrutiny. And you would think someone like Kelvin who has been in the game long enough would know that unless he is trying to stoke up a bit of controversy.