Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kelvin MacKenzie

Comments

• Fiiish said:

I haven't read the full article but reading the excerpts printed in that piece on the BBC website I have to defend Mr McKenzie. He didnt say Barkley looked like a gorilla, he said he has a look in his eyes, like you see in a gorilla in a zoo. He is not comparing him to a gorilla, but the that he has a faraway look in his eyes, like a zoo specimen has when being stuck in captivity.

I am certainly no fan of Mackenzie but typical of the media (and certain CL posters) that a "story" is jumped on & hyped him without actually reading what has been printed

Indeed. Says a lot more about the people who see a reference to a gorilla and automatically think 'African'.
    Wow. You are the only one to mention African as far as I'm aware. Why?
    Africa? And there was me thinking that Nigeria was a region in Belgium.

Why is it you always see racism when it isn't there Beds?

• Always ? Give ONE example .
  • Charlton fans in calling out racism and who don't understand irony shock
  • You just called @Fiiish out for daring to mention Africa ffs
  • Addickted said:

You just called @Fiiish out for daring to mention Africa ffs

Jesus. I give up. Go to bed man
  • I haven't read the full article but reading the excerpts printed in that piece on the BBC website I have to defend Mr McKenzie. He didnt say Barkley looked like a gorilla, he said he has a look in his eyes, like you see in a gorilla in a zoo. He is not comparing him to a gorilla, but the that he has a faraway look in his eyes, like a zoo specimen has when being stuck in captivity.

I am certainly no fan of Mackenzie but typical of the media (and certain CL posters) that a "story" is jumped on & hyped him without actually reading what has been printed

So you really think it is Ok for him to continually insult and abuse the people of Liverpool? It is totally prejudicial and if you think that is Ok then you are probably as big a scumbag as he is. The people of Liverpool have been the subject of his insults and intuition for at least 26 years. The gorilla thing is a red herring and he is one of the world's biggest scumbags and if he agree with even one one word of his bile the you are too.
  • edited April 2017
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

I haven't read the full article but reading the excerpts printed in that piece on the BBC website I have to defend Mr McKenzie. He didnt say Barkley looked like a gorilla, he said he has a look in his eyes, like you see in a gorilla in a zoo. He is not comparing him to a gorilla, but the that he has a faraway look in his eyes, like a zoo specimen has when being stuck in captivity.

Indeed. Says a lot more about the people who see a reference to a gorilla and automatically think 'African'.
    Clearly I'm not. Hence the racism charge. I know you are being deliberately dense.

I also know what you're trying to imply and it's disgusting.
    You said it.
    Stick to arthouse cinema mate, apparently you're out of your depth.
    Personal abuse when you lose an argument . That's always been your game when someone doesn't agree with your archaic views @Fiiish
  • The racism thing is being blown out of proportion as the likelihood is he didn't know about Barkley's ethnicity, his comments about Liverpool though given his history show just how much he "regrets" that headline.
  • edited April 2017

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Clearly I'm not. Hence the racism charge. I know you are being deliberately dense.

I also know what you're trying to imply and it's disgusting.
    You said it.
    Stick to arthouse cinema mate, apparently you're out of your depth.
    Personal abuse when you lose an argument . That's always been your game when someone doesn't agree with your archaic views @Fiiish
    What archaic views exactly?

And what argument exactly? Pretty sure we both dislike Kelvin and we both dislike racism. Not sure why you have decided to start acting like a child for no reason.
  • Child?

I was waiting for him to tuck me up in bed.
  • Sponsored links:

• redman said:

So you really think it is Ok for him to continually insult and abuse the people of Liverpool? It is totally prejudicial and if you think that is Ok then you are probably as big a scumbag as he is. The people of Liverpool have been the subject of his insults and intuition for at least 26 years. The gorilla thing is a red herring and he is one of the world's biggest scumbags and if he agree with even one one word of his bile the you are too.
    I never mentioned Liverpool, did I ??? I was commenting on the racial slur & pointing out that he didn't say what people are saying he said. The only complaint has come from the Mayor of Liverpool - and that was about the drug dealers reference & not about the so-called racial undertone
  • Has the editor or whoever signed off on the article going to print also been suspended?
  • DA9DA9
    edited April 2017
    The Sun have previous with the people of Liverpool
  • Speaking to BBC Sport about the article earlier on Friday, Labour councillor Anderson said: ‘Not only is it racist in a sense that he is of mixed-race descent, equally it’s a racial stereotype of Liverpool. It is racist and prehistoric.’
  • Just copying this from the recent popbitch email... Seems to me like they knew his article was inflammatory and happily printed it:

If you're one of the remaining
    few who can still bear to read
    Kelvin MacKenzie's column in the
    Sun, you'll maybe have wondered
    why he's been mentioning his
    price comparison website, A
    Spokesman Said, so much. Well,
    it's because he desperately
    needs it to take off.

Kelv is facing an expensive
    divorce. Remember a couple of
    years back we reported that
    he was having an affair with
    a secretary at the Sun, and
    was all set to shack up with
    her until getting cold feet
    at the last minute? His wife
    has finally decided to give
    him the boot and is set to
    take him to the cleaners.

Presumably the reason he's
    working the self-promotion
    angle so hard is that he knows
    Rebekah Brooks is aching to bin
    his 300K a year column - cutting
    costs and helping to detoxify
    the Sun's brand in one easy
    move. He's hanging on by a
    thread (thanks to support from
    editor Tony Gallagher and owner
    Rupert Murdoch) so is almost
    literally trying to make hay
    while the Sun shines.
  • Just, wondering, would it have been okay if it had just been "wrong" but had been "funny"?

And why are the words "wrong" and "unfunny" in quotes? I assume Sky News see their use of those words as being ironic; which is "unique".
  • £300,000 a year columnist? When he said Barkley is thick surely he meant whoever thought it was value for money paying this luddite anything to write such drivel.
  • Sponsored links:

• There was a time when you didn't need to buy the Sun if you got the train to work. Seems like people take them into work to be properly recycled now....
  • I haven't read the full article but reading the excerpts printed in that piece on the BBC website I have to defend Mr McKenzie. He didnt say Barkley looked like a gorilla, he said he has a look in his eyes, like you see in a gorilla in a zoo. He is not comparing him to a gorilla, but the that he has a faraway look in his eyes, like a zoo specimen has when being stuck in captivity.

It is a sweet irony that an abhorrent tosser who has built a career in sensationalism, manipulation of facts, taking things out of context to suit a story and whip readers up into a mouth frothing frenzy is now getting a little dose of what he's dished out with vitriolic glee for many years.

Vile, turgid little creature.
    Irony doubled by being thrown under the bus by a loathsomely mendacious and artfully crooked organisation as murdoch's sky/news int'l/fox. If one lays down with dogs and all that
  • I usually enjoy his column, it's often humorous and aims to deflate those who have got too puffed up and self important .. BUT, I read the 'article' about Barkley .. it was a mean and unnecessary slating of a young man who did not deserve this, comparing him to a gorilla was tasteless and insulting in the extreme .. as to the slagging off of Liverpool and scousers in general ? .. you can read worse than that on here on a daily basis
  • I'll readily admit I don't like Kelvin McKenzie but I'm uncomfortable with the racism angle of this if I'm honest. What has he said that is racially offensive?

The words as I read them were an insult to Barkleys perceived gormlessness as I have read them. I don't see what relevance his heritage or family lineage is to that.

Mckenzie says plenty of offensive things and has had direct involvement in some offensive things. Being as objective I can I don't think he has done anything racist here.

Frankie Boyle once described Wayne Rooney as looking like someone had shaved a chimp and kicked it through primark. Is that offensive to Wayne Rooney or chimps or what?

To reiterate I don't like Kelvin McKenzie and don't have sympathy for him given he has made a pretty lucrative career out of saying obnoxious things but he is only guilty of saying disparaging things about the punters in the bar that the attack on Ross Barkley happened.
  • I usually enjoy his column, it's often humorous and aims to deflate those who have got too puffed up and self important .. BUT, I read the 'article' about Barkley .. it was a mean and unnecessary slating of a young man who did not deserve this, comparing him to a gorilla was tasteless and insulting in the extreme .. as to the slagging off of Liverpool and scousers in general ? .. you can read worse than that on here on a daily basis

But we are not being paid to write it Lincs, or peddling it to a few million gullible people who believe every word.
  • Surprised anyone in Liverpool even new about that column. That tossrag of a paper isn't even for sale round there
  • Carter said:

I'll readily admit I don't like Kelvin McKenzie but I'm uncomfortable with the racism angle of this if I'm honest. What has he said that is racially offensive?

The words as I read them were an insult to Barkleys perceived gormlessness as I have read them. I don't see what relevance his heritage or family lineage is to that.

Mckenzie says plenty of offensive things and has had direct involvement in some offensive things. Being as objective I can I don't think he has done anything racist here.

Frankie Boyle once described Wayne Rooney as looking like someone had shaved a chimp and kicked it through primark. Is that offensive to Wayne Rooney or chimps or what?

To reiterate I don't like Kelvin McKenzie and don't have sympathy for him given he has made a pretty lucrative career out of saying obnoxious things but he is only guilty of saying disparaging things about the punters in the bar that the attack on Ross Barkley happened.

Gareth Bale is often compared with a chimp as well