Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Television.

F ing television is shite ain't it?

I've got it on in the background, no sound, the One Show is on.

2 blind folded, presumably "Irish" dancers, they're wearing green sweaters, are prancing up and down 2 lines of eggs, I assume not cooked, presumably to show how precise their dancing is!

Really, is that honestly entertainfuckingment?

Television, is so f ing awful, with few exceptions, I prefer to repeatedly watch "House of Cards" and "Homeland" on Netflix even though I know them both off by heart!

Comments

• edited April 2017
    More channels - you pay much more for it, but it is total sh*te! Nuff said!
  • I'm more into radio now i must admit but still watch my soaps :smile:
  • One Show without do understand is fine as long as Angela Scanlon is presenting it, I think she is lovely
  • Got the tv on at the moment and pretty much just slagging everyone off that comes on the screen
  • Got the tv on at the moment and pretty much just slagging everyone off that comes on the screen

They should get you on that Gogglebox thing.
  • cfgs said:

Got the tv on at the moment and pretty much just slagging everyone off that comes on the screen

They should get you on that Gogglebox thing.
    I enjoy slagging them off too much to go on there myself
  • Great band though...
  • tonights tv is particularly poor tonight. Nothing decent on all 5 mainstream channels & I usually watch BBC4 on a Friday but they have a repeated set of music prograames about the 80's - although v.good I only watched them all last month. Just about to watch the history programme "seventies" on Sky Arts. doesnt look that interesting but the previous 6 episodes have been excellent (about the ending of Vietnam, Watergate, Entertainment & soaps, .....)
  • Pedro45 said:

Great band though...

Tom Verlaine's guitar on Elevation amazing...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2017
    Tom Verlaine is god. I prefer the guitar on Marquee Moon, but Elevation is gigantic, too. "I remember how the darkness doubled".

• tonights tv is particularly poor tonight. Nothing decent on all 5 mainstream channels & I usually watch BBC4 on a Friday but they have a repeated set of music prograames about the 80's - although v.good I only watched them all last month. Just about to watch the history programme "seventies" on Sky Arts. doesnt look that interesting but the previous 6 episodes have been excellent (about the ending of Vietnam, Watergate, Entertainment & soaps, .....)

I enjoy the BBC4 Friday night music programmes too - very good.
  • F ing television is shite ain't it?

2 blind folded, presumably "Irish" dancers, they're wearing green sweaters, are prancing up and down 2 lines of eggs, I assume not cooked, presumably to show how precise their dancing is!

Television, is so f ing awful, with few exceptions, I prefer to repeatedly watch "House of Cards" and "Homeland" on Netflix even though I know them both off by heart!

Don't get me started on fecking Irish dancing. What have they got against using arms? Utterly ridiculous. It looks like some form of sobriety test rather than a dance. Are their dance venues so small they are worried they'll take someone's eye out?

I enjoy the BBC4 Friday night music programmes too - very good.
    problem is like golfaddick says it get repeated a fair bit on BBC 4 not helped by the cuts they have been facing.

I know some on here are not fond of the BBC and sometimes rightly so but unfortunately like with many cuts it's the Arts and Culture that get hit hardest. BBC 1 keeps all its popular programmes whereas BBC4 only broadcasts a handful of new shows a week.
  • edited April 2017
    Yes, very true. Most of the stuff I like to watch is on the BBC. BBC4 is a great channel but like you said, loads of repeats! Really enjoyed the programme on the Bermuda triangle the other day - basically explained it all in an hour!
  • There is so much more content about these days on radio, internet, catch up etc. that you don't need to rely on what's on the the gogglebox at that precise time of the day.
  • you gotta be choosy ((:>) .. plan your viewing
  • Beardface said:

F ing television is shite ain't it?

I take more issue with your use of entertainfuckingment.

Surely it's enterfuckingtainment.
    Exactly what I thought.
  • Don't have or watch TV.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok apart from BBC 4. Arts and Culture, Marque Moon, what has Television ever done for us?

That's the trouble with Beeb 4 too many repeats.

Same with Film 4, whose library must consist of about 6 films, X-Men (yawn) Men in Black, endless Bruce "the vest" Willis and those ones with Liam Neeson, Fast and Boring etc., etc.,

I haven't subscribed to any alternatives like Sky or Amazon as it appears to be all of a muchness.

When Eastenders was first broadcast, I was married and my wife liked it, so I used to watch occasionally. The other day I accidentally, while channel hopping, caught a glimpse of it and bloody 30 years on, Ian bleeding Beale is still in it, Christ Almighty.

Clearly shows ambition and does he really have the nerve to call himself an actor?
  • out of interest as @sillav nitram says Film 4's main films seem to be the same old shit, (similar to sky cinema but film 4 usually have a decent late night film every other week) has anyone got Curzon home cinema? if they have the same stock that they put out in their theatres then at least it's different and on the most part pretty good.
  • I'm much more of a radio fan then TV.
  • edited April 2017
    I agree with the OP.

It's got so bad that to avoid the television, I've agreed to go to a show tonight with the missus where the The O'Flaherty Dance Pair perform 'Dances With Eggs'.

Will report back.
  • out of interest as @sillav nitram says Film 4's main films seem to be the same old shit, (similar to sky cinema but film 4 usually have a decent late night film every other week) has anyone got Curzon home cinema? if they have the same stock that they put out in their theatres then at least it's different and on the most part pretty good.

That's another thing @Karim_myBagheri, why put really good films on at ridiculous hours in the morning?

They had, Zero Dark Thirty on the other week at about 1.30am and it wasn't available on catch up or whatever their rewatch service is called!
  • True, television is largely shite. But compared to the rest of the world, where television is truly, incredibly shite, we are quite fortunate that it is only shite here!
  • I don't tend to watch tv channels anymore. Use Netflix, BBC iplayer and Amazon.

Ok here's how it works - Sky Cinema have a billion-dollar deal with the major studios for the first pay window (10 months after cinema roughly). Netflix operate in the same window but only have exclusives with smaller studios.

So, 70% of movies go Cinema - PPV (that's Sky Store or Blu Ray etc) - Sky - Netflix - Film4 - BBC/ITV, then back to Sky and Netflix. This cycle usually takes a few years.

So you can't really compare Film4 which is a subscription-free channel, to Sky or Netflix. F4 used to be a subscription channel but they figured, they could package up older films and use advertising for revenue instead.

Ultimately, those channels have a finite list of movies. Sky has about 1200. Netflix has about 5,000 I think, Film4 has about 100. If you are not watching on demand, it feels like the same old shit being repeated. That's the user's fault for not understanding what they're paying for.

Best way to use Film4 is to go through a week's worth of movies on the TV planner and record the ones you like. Build your own movie channel. If you do this across all channels, you really don't need to spend 20 quid a month on a subscription, especially if you go to the cinema or use PPV.
  • Nadou said:

Tom Verlaine is god. I prefer the guitar on Marquee Moon, but Elevation is gigantic, too. "I remember how the darkness doubled".

Marquee Moon is manna from heaven.