Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The top five songs of...... Paul Simon (solo or with Garfunkel)

As things seem to have quietened down on the music front I thought I would continue with part four of the OCCASIONAL series.

May I politely suggest that we wait until this drops off the front page or we sign another player/s before any of us starts another so avoiding the wrath of the Gang of Four : - )

5. Only Living Boy in New York- "I get all the news I need in the weather report"

4. Me and Julio down in the School yard - Still not sure what it was that they were doing that was against the law?

3. Slip sliding away - I love a sad song

2. Homeward bound - Ditto. Written on Widnes Railway station while PS was waiting for a train

1. Obvious child - World music. PS invented it.

Comments

• 1) 59th Street Bridge song (Feeling Groovy)
    2) Homeward Bound
    3) The Boxer
    4) America
    5) Mrs Robinson

Love the S & G - really difficult to pick a top 5.
  • 1. Homeward Bound
    2. Sound of Silence
    3. Bookends
    4. The Boxer
    5. Bridge over Troubled Water
  • Call me Al..................or whatever it was called...
  • Paul Simon is probably my favourite "popular music" artist and there are so many to choose from.

Today's 5 in no particular order:

1) I am a rock

2) The Boxer

3) Sounds of Silence

4) Kodachrome

5) Peace Like a river
  • I can't think of a bad song to be honest and there are so many from which to choose

1. Cathy's Song - "there but for the grace of you go I" - it always makes me cry

2. The Boxer - "just a come on from the whores on 7th Ave" - always loved that line

3. Bridge Over Troubled Water - " sail on silver girl" - building to the climax

4. Under African Skies - "josephs face was black as the night and the pale yellow moon shone in his eyes" - great poetry

5. Homeward Bound - "I'm sitting in a railway station" - somewhere in England wasn't it Crewe possibly?
  • Dont trust anyone with a first name for a surname!! Its just not right!
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiVaE-pKqM

'You can call me Al' great video very funny.
  • in no particular order.
    i am a rock
    america
    homeward bound
    keep the customer satisfied
    the boxer.

feel guilty leaving loads out, so will probably be different tomorrow.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]5. Homeward Bound - "I'm sitting in a railway station" - somewhere in England wasn't it Crewe possibly?

A few years ago I changed trains at Widnes (was going to our game at Anfield), where I saw a plaque claiming this was the station where the song was written.
  • edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]2. Homeward bound - Ditto. Written on Widnes Railway station while PS was waiting for a train

IMO One of the worst stations I have ever waited for a train.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]5. Homeward Bound - "I'm sitting in a railway station" - somewhere in England wasn't it Crewe possibly?

A few years ago I changed trains at Widnes (was going to our game at Anfield), where I saw a plaque claiming this was the station where the song was written.

I don't blame them, probably the first and only thing they have that they can claim.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]in no particular order.
    i am a rock
    america
    homeward bound
    the boxer.

feel guilty leaving loads out, so will probably be different tomorrow.

What, no Bridge?! ;-)

A difficult one for me - as most say, dont think there's a bad one - but in no particular order

Bridge over troubled water
    The Boxer
    America
    Cathy's Song
    Homeward Bound

but the list could go on!
  • [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]Call me Al..................or whatever it was called...

I seem to recall this being played over the tannoy every home game in the 86/7 season,or most of the ones i went to
  • in no particular order:

bridge over troubled water
    59 ways to leave your lover
    america
    homewood bound
    the boxer

so.......theres more than 5 - should be allowed 5 solo & 5 with Art Gufunkle.
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    should be allowed 5 solo & 5 with Art Gufunkle.

F*** me! He's even moaning about the top five format now : - )
  • For me, no particular order.....

The Boxer - PS storytelling at his best
    Under African Skies - perfect harmony from Linda Rondstat
    Homeward Bound - perfectly capturing a mood
    Sound of Slience - for the darker moods
    Still crazy after all these years - is this about die hard Charlton supporters?

:)