Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shares Thread for the next Gordon Gekko's

Comments

• edited January 2017

AstraZeneca will be one to watch out for I reckon. Lots of advancement in BioTech recently and suspect they'll be looking to make acquisitions as well as release new drugs.

Edit... I should add that with current trading at £44 they're a high risk investment. They could end they year significantly down or up, but will be an interesting company to observe nonetheless.

Based out of Middlesex I think - near Royal Holloway UoL - I'm wondering whether Brexit and the effects on UK Research may have an affect on them?

Just had a quick google and it appears that their patent for Seroquel - which despite being an antipsychotic, they managed to get it approved for all sorts* - is up soon. I'm going to guess they've got fingers in many pies though!

(*Nasty stuff, had the misfortune of being on a high dose for a while a few years ago)

Edit. Just read that there's a Swedish connection with them, potentially making my point about Brexit rather weak. (Not to mention that a weaker GBP will probably help their US exports?)
  • I will give it a day or two and try and capture all suggestions together.
    Then perhaps drag this thread back once a month for an update.
    However, being a lazy sod, I cannot guarantee this.

I may download one of those Stock games that use real market data, and keep track of how much money CharltonLife could've lost me ;)
  • LuckyReds said:

I will give it a day or two and try and capture all suggestions together.

I may download one of those Stock games that use real market data, and keep track of how much money CharltonLife could've lost me ;)
    I'm reading this post whilst looking at a "Trading 212" advert on the left of the page. Advert tracking on t'internet is scary!
  • I inherited shares from my father, a selection of banks and utilities mainly, although he took a fair hit on them I'll probably hang on to them in the hope of one day giving my son a little help, although banks are not good currently will they ever bounce back? Not sure myself.
  • Although banks may be a bit of an unknown at the moment, they are usually good for dividends (as are the utilities).
    What happens to dividends you receive? Do they stay as cash or reinvest as additional shares?
  • DRAddick said:

LuckyReds said:

I will give it a day or two and try and capture all suggestions together.

I'm reading this post whilst looking at a "Trading 212" advert on the left of the page. Advert tracking on t'internet is scary!
    Scary it is. I've got an advert for Mama Mia at the Novello Theatre in London....think the algorithm has got a bit mixed up!
  • I inherited shares from my father, a selection of banks and utilities mainly, although he took a fair hit on them I'll probably hang on to them in the hope of one day giving my son a little help, although banks are not good currently will they ever bounce back? Not sure myself.

In the short term banks have been an excellent investment. Barclays and HSBC have performed very well over the last 6 months and HSBC pays a good dividend of around 50cents shares per annum. They are also undertaking a large share buyback which I hope will see the shareprice nudge towards £7 by spring.
  • Although banks may be a bit of an unknown at the moment, they are usually good for dividends (as are the utilities).
    What happens to dividends you receive? Do they stay as cash or reinvest as additional shares?

Mine from Lloyds are paid in cash
  • Depends which banks.

Barclays got trimmed but retain limited global ambitions and will I think come good.

Lloyds have started to break the shackles of public ownership and have announced the acquisition of the MBNA Credit card business from I think Bank of America.

RBS is still well under water and looking a bit dog like. If you have a 20 year planning horizon then that may be ok but it's not looking great where I'm sitting at the moment.

If you have European (say Deutschland bank or stretching the definition a bit Credit Suisse), I think they will do ok.

American banks may well benefit from trump repealing the Dodd frank rules that limited their capacity for slightly agressive transactions. I wouldn't personally get involved but could lose out there.
  • Evening gents, I reinvest everything at the mo, I'm fifty next year and since my illness I haven't worked. (8yrs) feeling better and gonna have some fun.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another one for lloyds
    BONY Mellon
    Advancers semiconductors
    Kier

This time next year rodders..
  • What's happening with Deutsche Bank? Last I heard that were serious concerns about their debt level but that seems to have gone quiet lately.
  • Last I heard DB were getting spanked by the us regulator for big money, originally touted by the US as around USD 10bn which was around the market capitalisation of DB at the time.

I think they have shrunk that (but not sure how final that is) and made a disposal or so for decent money, so who knows, they may be ok.

Haven't looked to invest so haven't checked out their tier one capital buffer which you should do before investing in a financial stock.
  • colthe3rd said:

What's happening with Deutsche Bank? Last I heard that were serious concerns about their debt level but that seems to have gone quiet lately.

Trump conflict of interest
  • Interesting, cheers.
  • TelMc32 said:

Haven't looked too closely just yet, but will do over the next couple of weeks. Have done very well out of Glencore & Tullow over the last 15 months, but taken a hit on Gulf Keystone.

All in all, well up, but had to hold my nerve and added to my Glencore & Tullow holdings when I was £4.5k down at one stage. I must admit that checking the stockbrokers page has become as addictive as Charlton Life.

Good luck all. Hope you avoid @Clem_Snide's wolves!!!

Like you I have done pretty well out of Glencore. The question is when to sell. They hit 294 at one point today. Any thoughts?
  • Overall markets look a bit toppy at the moment. Maybe better off investing new money.
    Risk for me next week. Transfer my pension funds to new provider which means selling and being out of the market for a few days before being reinvested. If markets rise next week I lose, if they fall I gain. Fingers crossed!

Mine from Lloyds are paid in cash
    If you don't need the cash, it's worth looking at taking the dividend as shares.
  • Lloyds at 62.71p.
    With the bank restored to private ownership, the end of PPI in sight and a balanced mortgage book, this is a cash cow, with high dividend. I would hope for 80p by year end.

Eden Research PLC 11.52p
    A tech company that has a methodology for delivery insecticide an fungicide to crops that is long lasting and safer than current methods. A long time in development an even longer in getting EU licence and approvals. I would hope for 16p by year end.

Smug smile.

Early days for Lloyds but still up at 64p

Eden has today got clearance to sell its products in France. Whoosh 40 percent up today at 14.17p
  • OK, lets try and update;

Lancashire Lad - Range resources - was 0.3575 - now 0.34 - down 5%

Blackpool 72, Ray Treacy & Ralph Milne - Lloyds - was 62.71 - now 62.71 - NO CHANGE

Blackpool 72 - RM2 International - was 31:00 - now 21.50 - down 30%

IaItch - Laird PLC - was 152.25 - now 141.41 - down 7%

Ralph Milne - Eden Research - was 11.52 - now 11.40 - down 1%

Cardinal Sin - Sky - was 987.50 - now 982.50 - down 0.5%

Survival of the fittest - Astrazeneca - was 4432.50 - now 4743.00 - up 7%

Damo North stand - WPP - was 1820 - now 1738 - down 5%

Appreciate this doesn't include dividends, and the fact that some of the above have been in healthy profit at some stage in the past three months.

If I refer back to my initial post, I will stick with saying Sirius Minerals are a solid long term investment (was 19.25 - now 25.00 - up 30%), they appear to have all the backing in place, trying to bring the project forward 12 months, and are due to enter the FTSE (from AIM) at the end of the month - all as predicted (by the company). the board of directors hold around 10% of shares and their business announcements appear both honest and positive.

As for Bellzone Mining (was 0.32 - now 0.298 - down 1%), very volatile. Guinean government due to sign nickel take off agreement by the end of the month. This share could go either way as it has been known to jump 300% on a bit of decent news. Likewise it has dropped from around 18p 4 years ago.
    Very volatile share that you need to keep your eye on.

Good luck all, and we will take another look in a few months.
    As I mentioned, undoubtedly people would possibly trade these shares (rather than hold) for the entire year.
    This is purely a 12 month hold review.
  • Sponsored links:

• Be patient with Lloyds they are the shares equivalent of Sheffield United.

They will come good
  • Just saw this linked on another thread and forgot all about it.

I'm selling my Astazeneca stock in the next few weeks. Think it'll still move up but a big three months coming up and for the price per share too risky for me. Rumour on the street is that the Chinese government is going after them for a very large tax bill.

My largest exposure is to Worldpay currently. On the day of their IPO I bought at 246p per share and they're currently at 299p. The great thing about them for me is they have a mature and stable brand in the UK and practically no US presence, but are investing heavily to grow that market.

I think they'll be 5-10% up on current levels and around 310-320p by the year end.

They will come good

That's it B72, you are my new guru, can you let you let me know when I'm going down the pan, don't say now I've had a nice day.
  • jamescafc said:

TelMc32 said:

Haven't looked too closely just yet, but will do over the next couple of weeks. Have done very well out of Glencore & Tullow over the last 15 months, but taken a hit on Gulf Keystone.

All in all, well up, but had to hold my nerve and added to my Glencore & Tullow holdings when I was £4.5k down at one stage. I must admit that checking the stockbrokers page has become as addictive as Charlton Life.

Good luck all. Hope you avoid @Clem_Snide's wolves!!!

Like you I have done pretty well out of Glencore. The question is when to sell. They hit 294 at one point today. Any thoughts?
    @jamescafc apologies mate, I have only just caught up with this thread. Just over £3 today, but 44p down on year high. At the moment, I am happy to hold. Looks like a decent dividend is in the offing, but that may be nearly a year away. Chinese growth was stronger than predicted the other day, which would suit Glencore, but this was potentially offset by sterling's move against the dollar after May opened her gob the other day.

I think it has a £4 price on and am happy to see what the market/world is like in 9/12 months.

They will come good

That's it B72, you are my new guru, can you let you let me know when I'm going down the pan, don't say now I've had a nice day.
    Lloyds now 64.43 they are starting to move.
    I trust you are on-board Jon
  • Pork bellies and Orange Juice.

Can't go wrong.

They will come good

Lloyds now 64.43 they are starting to move.
    I trust you are on-board Jon
    Yep, inherited some years ago so a connection to my late father also, he would have loved watching them pick up, fingers crossed.