Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Australian Football Consortium - what do we know?

edited April 2017 in General Charlton
Would be good if we could have a seperate thread based on facts, knowledge etc rather than chit chat, rumour etc

So what do we know?

There are two front men.

One, Gerard Murphy is effectively a management consultant who has worked extensively in sport in both the UK and Australia. In the UK, mainly through a vehicle called of his Elite Team Performance, and in Australia via Leading Teams Australia and later Gerard Murphy Consulting. The latter summarised below:

" assists CEO's/MD's/Directors/exec teams to create a high performance culture by aligning strategy, structures, governance and people. Current clients include Caterpillar, Telstra, Momentum Energy, Message Media, YMCA, Australian Tyretraders, Fairfax Radio Network, Higgins and Geelong FC (2007-09 & 2013-14), Richmond FC (2015), Melbourne Rebels (2015 - ) & Port Adelaide FC (2017)."

A number of web stories are searchable of him under Elite Team Performance, most notably this one when working for the Arafat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8910956/Gerard-Murphy-RFUs-choice-as-a-liaison-between-Englands-team-and-management-proved-a-barrier.html

A good insight into him can be found on his blog below, with a standout quote "without having sound governance, good people can make bad decisions"

http://gerardmurphy.com.au/blog.php

Also seems generally well into Aussie sports promotion, and was previously chairman of the Australian Football League Europe arm

Comments

• The other lead player is Philip Aiken, a 68yr old Aussie who has operated in business at what seems quite a high board level. Currently chairman of Balfour Beatty and Aveva,

Doesn't appear to have a massive sporting background / connection.
  • What's Murphy's Palace connection? If someone can tell me, I might be able to find out more.
  • What's Murphy's Palace connection? If someone can tell me, I might be able to find out more.

Consultant

• How old is G Murphy? .
  • Oh fuck !

Why do you say that mate?
  • edited April 2017
    I thought there was more then two people in a fc? .
  • Green panther
  • Be good if people could add any other facts etc that emerge
  • Sponsored links:

• Port Adelaide FC have recent Chinese links.

'On 14 April 2016, Port Adelaide announced a three-year multimillion-dollar partnership with leading Chinese property developer Shanghai Cred. Within this partnership, Port Adelaide will take primary responsibility for developing Australian rules football in China. The partnership will see Port Adelaide hold annual training camps and provide sponsorship in China, as well as producing AFL programs and broadcasting games in the country via China Central Television and other networks.[81] The first AFL game to be played for premiership points is scheduled for May 2017 between Gold Coast and Port Adelaide.'

Melbourne Rebels are owned by Imperium Group (ICG) and Andrew Cox seems to be the main man there.
  • Interesting piece on Murphy here. Sounds like he's had some success with sporting clubs but left one of his roles after a fallout http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-part-ways-with-leadership-consultant-gerard-murphy-20160704-gpy66s.html
  • The other lead player is Philip Aiken, a 68yr old Aussie who has operated in business at what seems quite a high board level. Currently chairman of Balfour Beatty and Aveva,

Doesn't appear to have a massive sporting background / connection.

more speculation .. they could well be the front men for other investors .. a lá Slater .. I don't believe that any other FL or Prem club is owned by an Australian/Antipodean
  • I notice Philip Aiken lives in London too.
  • Typo in the title @AFKABartram

Australian Football Consortium Limited was incorporated on 4 April 2016 (Monday)and as of 11 March 2017 (Saturday) is a Registered Australian Public Company.
  • Typo in the title @AFKABartram

Australian Football Consortium Limited was incorporated on 4 April 2016 (Monday)and as of 11 March 2017 (Saturday) is a Registered Australian Public Company.

So they've spent over a year putting this together?

Thats more encouraging.
  • http://www.australianfc.com.au/

Australian Football Consortium Ltd

The Australian Football Consortium Ltd is an unlisted public company that has been established to acquire an underperforming English football team and elevate it to the English Premier League.

How we will achieve it

Australian Football Consortium Ltd brings together elite practices found in Australia's world-leading sporting codes and teams, including specialties in player performance, culture development, team management, supporter engagement, stadium operations and match day experience. Driven by an expert advisory team, Australian Football Consortium Ltd will implement:

A high-performance, cohesive team culture
    A strong Club brand in both the UK and Australia
    Australian best-in-class sport psychology and science
    Investment in the Club's training academy and facilities
    Management techniques designed to maximise performance
    Investment overview

In 2016 Australian Football Consortium Ltd commissioned Deloitte Football Business Group in Manchester, UK to undertake a feasibility study.

Australian Football Consortium Ltd is now conducting a confidential capital raise and is seeking investors to contribute a total A$55m in return for a shareholding in Australian Football Consortium Ltd.

Attractive returns on investment are expected to result from promotion to the Premier League where the earnings profile of clubs increases dramatically as a result of lucrative media rights arrangements. Upon achieving Australian Football Consortium Ltd's vision of promoting the Club to the Premier League, all investors will share in the value created. It is envisaged that liquidity will be provided through an IPO at that stage.

Process

Australian Football Consortium Ltd is in final negotiations with the current owner of the Club and is seeking commitments from cornerstone investors during March 2017. Henslow Pty Ltd is managing Australian Football Consortium Ltd's capital raise process and interested parties are encouraged to contact Chris Tait regarding the opportunity.

Chris Tait
    Principal
    Henslow
    +61 438 862 355
    ctait@henslow.com
  • I've looked up Henslow, and they have a strong track record of achieving capital raises for their clients.

They are based out of Melbourne.

• Sponsored links:

• So reading all that, it really is being sold on an Australian ticket.

• Oh fuck !

Why do you say that mate?
    Not particularly liking that piece by The Mail on him. Sounds a pretentious knob.

• Doesn't smell right
  • edited April 2017
    From that Telegraph article, Murphy sounds like a cross between Eileen Drewery and Brendan Rodgers.

Consultant

To the Parish regime?