Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A warning from history, when things go badly wrong

imageimage

Rushden and Diamonds' ground in its hey day as a championship 1 club and today. Presently they share a ground as a reformed club, AFC Rushden and Diamonds, with Wellingborough Town (who have been in existence for 150 years) at what is known as the Dog and Duck. Both face eviction at the end of this season.

And Kettering Town now share a ground with Burton Park Wanderers with little hope of getting back to Rockingham Road.

Owners of football clubs........., but of course this could never happen to RD AND KM, could it?

Comments

• Latimer said:

imageimage

Rushden and Diamonds' ground in its hey day as a championship 1 club and today. Presently they share a ground as a reformed club, AFC Rushden and Diamonds, with Wellingborough Town (who have been in existence for 150 years) at what is known as the Dog and Duck. Both face eviction at the end of this season.

And Kettering Town now share a ground with Burton Park Wanderers with little hope of getting back to Rockingham Road.

Owners of football clubs........., but of course this could never happen to RD AND KM, could it?

The Wellingborough ground is called The Dog & Duck because it's situated behind a pub with the same name. I've stayed there a few times as I've got a mate who lives up there, it's a tiny ground.
  • I took a youth team to a tournament at R &D in its heyday and the facilities including the training pitches were first class, built I believe with money from the Dr Marten empire. It was a very sad and very quick demise I don't know what happened.
  • Latimer said:

imageimage

The Wellingborough ground is called The Dog & Duck because it's situated behind a pub with the same name. I've stayed there a few times as I've got a mate who lives up there, it's a tiny ground.
    Bore off ;-)

• I took a youth team to a tournament at R &D in its heyday and the facilities including the training pitches were first class, built I believe with money from the Dr Marten empire. It was a very sad and very quick demise I don't know what happened.

Yeah, remember them getting on a cup run or something and Saturday Grandstand done a piece on them saying something about Dr Martin's
  • 1905 said:

Latimer said:

imageimage

Bore off ;-)

Who rattled your cage lumpy?
  • I went to Rockingham Road a few times when Dartford played Kettering. Great memories, there was a pub next to the ground (which previously belonged to the club) which was a good place to go pre match. I'd love to see Kettering recover their ground and rise back, but it seems a bit unlikely.
  • Apparently, R&D's demise started when Max Griggs, the Dr Marten owner, decide he'd taken the club as far as he could and left the club to the fans trust to run (after giving them a large wad too) , a few years later and a few dodgy owners, and the club was unable to pay its bills- and was wound up by Her Majesty.

Griggs decided that in future his wares would be made in China and he closed the state of the art factory next door to the football ground (You could watch the boots being assembled as they moved around the factory on a conveyor belt/production line system) .. he found that running a small F C is a good way to lose millions very quickly
  • edited April 2017
    Yes, I can see the anology. One day, it will all go pear-shaped for Palarse, Josh Harris will walk away, and they'll end up using the Whitgift Centre public toilets as their changing rooms. I'll shed a tear piss myself laughing when Smellhurst Park ends up looking like the top photo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonder who the League One side is... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39566143

I read it as three in trouble in L1...

us?
    Bolton?
    Coventry?
  • Wonder who the League One side is... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39566143

I read it as three in trouble in L1...

us?
    Bolton?
    Coventry?
    Just re-read the article, your right... Its 3 from League One and 1 from League Two