Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

new TV help needed.

I'm looking to buy a new TV. I've had a LG 42 inch screen for around 7 years & never had a problem with it until recently. I've seen a similar one (43 inch screen) but not sure if I should go for an ultra modern 4k version. I wont be using it to play games or the internet or any other apps - just to watch the tv & maybe the odd dvd. So would an older, normal, HD, Smart Tv be ok or should I just go for the more up to date. LG 4k is about £450 where the HD version is about £100 cheaper. Sony is around £600 same as Toshiba .............or are there any other ones I should be looking at

thanks

Comments

• edited April 2017
    I'm highly sure that no TV providers or channels run in 4K (and probably wont for a long time), even HD isn't the standard on TV yet (only the likes of BBC, ITV, etc. and the sports channels use it), so stick with an HD TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HD_channels_in_the_United_Kingdom (as you can see here - and many in this list are upscaled from Standard Definition anyway)
  • The 4k sets have upscalers in them so will enhance an HD image to something even better- So i understood when i was looking.. got as far as reading some 'Which?' reviews and didn't buy anything. Now waiting once again for sales time.
  • BBC have (so far) only used 4K for Planet Earth which you could only get on iPlayer.
    ITV and C4 haven't trialled anything so far I don't think.
    There won't be any free to air 4K channels for a long while.

I think Sky do their premier league games in 4K so you might want it for that but you'll probably have to pay more for it, i don't have it myself.

I reckon a standard HD TV will be good for another 5-10 years yet unless 4K games, 4K blu-rays etc. interest you.
  • Sky also do the F1 channel in 4K.
  • The 4k sets have upscalers in them so will enhance an HD image to something even better- So i understood when i was looking.. got as far as reading some 'Which?' reviews and didn't buy anything. Now waiting once again for sales time.

Spot on, my next will be 4k definitely - For a start Netflix has the option to stream in 4k.
  • Sky Q have an increasing amount of UHD content including all prem games ad F1. They also have quite a lot of films, tv shows and documentaries in UHD.

BT, Netflix and Amazon Prime also have UHD programming.

Planet Earth on UHD disc is amazing.

If I was buying a tv today - I would definitely get the most up to date tech you can afford.

If you do get a UHD tv - make sure that it is HDCP 2.2 compliant.
  • You'd be mad to pay £4,000 for a telly.
  • edited April 2017

You'd be mad to pay £4,000 for a telly.

I agree.....I paid 5k for mine......but do watch a lot of tv and film.
  • I ended up buying a 55" 4k Sony Android TV from the outlet centre at Ashford. It was £500 cheaper than anywhere else on the high street and the web and they threw in a wireless surround sound system.

Amazon Fire TV has 4k content as do Sky Q.
    Also, there are some streams on Sports Mania from the US that are 4k too but you need a hefty internet connection to stream it.
  • You'd be mad to pay £4,000 for a telly.

Very few are in that price bracket from what I have seen recently. You can pick up most 4k's for as little as £750 for a decent spec.

Don't get me wrong those mental priced one's do exist, but they're not needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm looking to buy a new TV. I've had a LG 42 inch screen for around 7 years & never had a problem with it until recently. I've seen a similar one (43 inch screen) but not sure if I should go for an ultra modern 4k version. I wont be using it to play games or the internet or any other apps - just to watch the tv & maybe the odd dvd. So would an older, normal, HD, Smart Tv be ok or should I just go for the more up to date. LG 4k is about £450 where the HD version is about £100 cheaper. Sony is around £600 same as Toshiba .............or are there any other ones I should be looking at

thanks

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/4k-ultra-hd-tvs/televisions/televisions/301_3002_30002_256_43_ba00011146-bv00309067-ba00004524-bv00298788/200-1000_200-699|699-1000_8_xx_5-6-7-8-9-10-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-criteria.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-49uh620v-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-49-led-tv-10144772-pdt.html
  • edited April 2017
    Okay, I've been tempted by a UHD TV but haven't yet made the leap. But I have done some research. It seems to get any benefit in picture quality improvement, you have to sit much closer to a big TV than you might expect. Whereas a 1080p TV at 50" is good for between six and ten feet sitting distance, a UHD TV of the same size only gives you a benefit sitting between three and six feet away. That seems way, way to close to me but there you go. Here are the data:

• I have a 42inch Sony one I'm looking to sell (think it's 42, was my late grans so would have to double check). It's just a regular flat screen nothing fancy but never had problems. If interested message me.