Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joint protest with Coventry City 14/4/17 - confirmed details of pre-match meeting points & march

Charlton fans will march alongside Coventry City supporters for a second time this season on Good Friday to protest about the way their respective clubs are being run.

The two sets of fans staged a series of protests when the clubs met at The Valley last October. There were thousands of plastic pigs thrown on to the pitch just after kick-off and further joint demonstrations in the home and away stands.

Now the Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) has teamed up with disaffected supporters of the Sky Blues to march on the Ricoh Arena next week.

A CARD spokesperson said: “If anything Coventry’s situation seems to have got worse, with relegation looming, although Charlton are not safe either, which is a further indictment of our club’s ownership.

“We want to show our support for Coventry’s fight against owners SISU, as well as step up our own campaign to get Duchatelet to sell Charlton.”

CARD is running a coach service to the Ricoh Arena from Kent and SE London for £13 return. Travellers will be dropped at the start of the march, which is the Cherry Tree Club, 82 Lythalls Lane CV6 6FN, about ten minutes away from the stadium.

The march will set off at approximately 2pm and head north on Bedlam Lane. There is a footpath to reach Phoenix Way, from which it will enter the external concourse of the Ricoh to reach the Jimmy Hill statue at the north-west corner of the ground.

We advise other fans wishing to join the march to arrive at the Cherry Tree Club by 1.45pm if possible. We’re assured of a warm and friendly welcome.

Alternatively, if you are later there is a fallback option to join it for the final approach at a meeting point by a lamp-post near the underpass which is prominently marked L55DGT. Turn left and head up the ramp when you exit this underpass.

Details of the march arrangements have been fully agreed by the police.

The CARD spokesperson added: “We urge as many Charlton fans as possible to take part in this latest protest, and then get behind the team inside the stadium because this is now a vital match.

“The club is facing its lowest league finish since 1926. Relegation to League Two would be catastrophic, but the fact the team is in this situation is the direct consequence of Duchatelet’s mismanagement. We must get him out before he does any more damage.”

Coach travel details and booking arrangements

Coaches to Coventry will depart as follows:

Canterbury (Victoria Hotel, London Road) 9.20am
Medway Services (London bound) 9.45am
Dartford (Heath Lane, nr Halfords) 10.15am
Bexleyheath (Albion Road, nr Marriott Hotel) 10.30am
Bromley (North station) 10.10am
Well Hall (northbound bus stop, nr Dickson Road) 10.30am
Charlton (Makro bus stop, Anchor & Hope Lane) 10.45am

The fare is £13 per person from all pick-ups.

Please make payments to the Charlton protest fund account: sort code 20-68-04, account number 50661678 or via PayPal (as a friend to avoid commission) to protestfund@gmail.com - it is essential you give your name as a reference, then email charlton.card@yahoo.co.uk giving your name and pick-up details.

Comments

• The Cherry Tree Club is usually a home fans only venue but the gaffer is very supportive of the protests and will be delighted to welcome protesting Charlton fans in there for a pre-match, pre-march drink. The protesting Coventry fans will be congregating there also so it's a great chance to meet and share a drink with some really good people also fighting for their club.

It's only about 10 minutes walk from the stadium, so a good place for a beer anyway.

At least one of the CARD team will be there nice and early to meet you.
  • My son and I will be there. Roland Out.
  • Two booked on the train. We'll be there
  • Another two for the coach
  • In response to a question posed on social media, the CARD coach will be going direct to the Cherry Tree Club and is expected to arrive by 1.45pm at the latest. Hopefully we will be a little earlier so we can join the independent travellers for a pre-march drink.

A CARD rep will be in the club early to greet travelling addicks.
  • One more for the coach. Looking forward to meeting some fellow addicks en route and in the club before the march.
  • Booked the coach
  • I'm driving up with my young son. Does anyone know if there is parking near the ground? Haven't been to the Ricoh before. Many thanks.
  • ChiAddick said:

I'm driving up with my young son. Does anyone know if there is parking near the ground? Haven't been to the Ricoh before. Many thanks.

Don't park in the Tesco car park next to it, you'll get a ticket.
  • ChiAddick said:

I'm driving up with my young son. Does anyone know if there is parking near the ground? Haven't been to the Ricoh before. Many thanks.

There are official car parks at the Ricoh
  • Sponsored links:

• Will there be more pigs thrown on the pitch?
  • Who else is going to Cov then?

And how are you getting there?
  • Davo55 said:

Who else is going to Cov then?

I'm being sent there
  • I'm going and will be driving up I think.

Planning on parking here: http://www.ricoharenaeventparking.co.uk/events-and-pre-bookings.php#.VICu5zGsWSo

But it's the other side of the ground to where the march is starting so if anyone has parking info nearer to the march that'd be appreciated.
  • Davo55 said:

A few of us are on the train.

@Stewart have a look at the protest info.
  • Davo55 said:

2 on train hopefully meeting up with 2 more driving for a lift to the Cherry Tree
  • I'm going. Driving up. I presume there'll be no problem getting a ticket on the day.
  • Cherry Tree an easy 10 minute walk from the Ricoh. Map posted on here but recommend everyone just has a little look on Google Maps and maybe prints off the route.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

After the announcement this weekend that the club are looking into building a new website I've decided to withdraw my support for the protests and fully get behind the regime. With this new website I truly believe we've turned the corner and can look forward to bigger and better things from 2017/18 season onwards.

You could moderate the Your Views portion of the site.
  • Driving up with my son, would like to join the march, does anyone know of any parking near the Cherry Tree?
  • edited April 2017
    Glosfan said:

Driving up with my son, would like to join the march, does anyone know of any parking near the Cherry Tree?

This might help en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/locations/cherry_tree_sports_%26_social_club_gcqfmfttk39/?country=uk&arriving=201704141300&leaving=201704141900

But parking at the Ricoh is plentiful and only 10 minutes walk from the Cherry Tree Club.
  • Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

After the announcement this weekend that the club are looking into building a new website I've decided to withdraw my support for the protests and fully get behind the regime. With this new website I truly believe we've turned the corner and can look forward to bigger and better things from 2017/18 season onwards.

You could moderate the Your Views portion of the site.
    John: It is outrageous that KM is in the CEO post whilst showing no signs of business acumen or intellectual rigour... [Inappropriate post - delete]

Fanny: This lot couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery... [Inappropriate post - delete]

Airman: The accounts show that they are losing over £1m a month, careful analysis of the small print clearly demonstrates that this is due to their own incompetence... [Inappropriate post - delete]

Sue: Katrien is my special fwend and the cakes are always lovely; nice and moist with plenty of fruit. Everything is kittens and rainbows at Charlton... [Make Sticky]

Davo: We need to organise ourselves against the regime... [Inappropriate post - delete]
  • What's the distance from the station to cherry tree?
  • J BLOCK said:

What's the distance from the station to cherry tree?

From Coventry about 3 miles.
  • Coming on train looking forward to it
  • Will drive to this as not working .
  • Is there an idea on the numbers Coventry will summon for the protest?

Not much discussion of it on their forum.