Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

United Airlines

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39554421

Blimey - I wouldnt want to work for their PR agency. They have a nightmare brewing over this one.

Comments

• edited April 2017
    The other month, they were kicking off women for wearing leggings.

• The video that has emerged of him trying to get back on the plane with a bloodied face is shocking.

United Airlines released a statement that has come from the Roland Duchatelet School of PR Statements:

• edited April 2017

Wasn't that for free flights though? Where they effectively got them because they were related to an employee or something along those lines, and therefore had to have a certain dress code. Pay for your own ticket and wear what you want. Wouldn't have been a media issue if it had been a man in tracksuit trousers...
  • A shocking story. I imagine lawyers will be homing in to take up the case...
  • The other month, they were kicking off women for wearing leggings.

I find that picture slightly hypnotic, proof I have finally become a dirty old man.
  • They seemingly dragged off a doctor who needed to fly, presumably to work the next day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:

You have to wonder how none of the people in uniform stopped to think "Hang on, this is insane. And wrong." I just can't fathom their mentality.

Some people like to have a uniform to give them carte blanche to behave how they want.
  • Huskaris said:

Wasn't that for free flights though? Where they effectively got them because they were related to an employee or something along those lines, and therefore had to have a certain dress code. Pay for your own ticket and wear what you want. Wouldn't have been a media issue if it had been a man in tracksuit trousers...
    I got into this on social media with a couple people and was told that the friends and family pass apparently requires people to wear khakis or like that level of dressiness. I couldn't find an employee handbook, but if true that would indicate that this is one of the few dress codes that isn't specifically sexist

But uh, yeah, pour one out for the PR team.
  • edited April 2017
    Chunes said:

You have to wonder how none of the people in uniform stopped to think "Hang on, this is insane. And wrong." I just can't fathom their mentality.

Or at least, in the age of the internet, no one said "you know what? I bet this is going to end up on Twitter in the next ten minutes and this...might not make us look so good."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JOpPNra4bw
  • Well said Covered end
  • I understand why overbooking happens and why it keeps prices down. Not that it's right but airlines are on a race to the bottom. Even BA is not immune as service quality has plummetted in order to avoid price rises.

The approach needs to be more measured though. The rules ought to be changed so that people are incentivised to volunteer to be bumped to a later flight, such as vouchers for future flights, and vouchers for free food, drink and if necessary hotels at the airport.
  • The CEO will have to step down for this but not after a lot of shit has rolled down hill
  • Fiiish said:

I understand why overbooking happens and why it keeps prices down. Not that it's right but airlines are on a race to the bottom. Even BA is not immune as service quality has plummetted in order to avoid price rises.

The approach needs to be more measured though. The rules ought to be changed so that people are incentivised to volunteer to be bumped to a later flight, such as vouchers for future flights, and vouchers for free food, drink and if necessary hotels at the airport.

They are already required to offer food and accommodation by law I think. They simply shouldn't be allowed to drag someone off. If they're overbooked then it's hard luck on the ones left behind, how could someone still in the terminal have more right to the seat than someone already on the plan?
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

I understand why overbooking happens and why it keeps prices down. Not that it's right but airlines are on a race to the bottom. Even BA is not immune as service quality has plummetted in order to avoid price rises.

They are already required to offer food and accommodation by law I think. They simply shouldn't be allowed to drag someone off. If they're overbooked then it's hard luck on the ones left behind, how could someone still in the terminal have more right to the seat than someone already on the plan?
    The news story said they need to free up some seats for the flight crew, but I thought they already had their own seats?
  • Fiiish said:

I'm with Covered End, overbooking shouldn't be allowed anyway and the prices should be kept down by the airlines being able to enforces penalties on no show passengers. Would help, though, if the airline got their act together and realised they had too many people to put on the plane, before they put people on the plane - much easier to be forced to deny people entry to the plane than to force them back off again when they are already in their seats.
  • Fiiish said:

That already happens/is meant to happy, but when we were bumped off, we heard no announcements and were refused boarding & waited 5 hours for another flight.

We should have got the £200 pp compensation as it was an EU flight, but Thomas Cook refused to give the reason as to why the plane was switched to a smaller one, causing the over capacity.

We weren't offered food vouchers (were promised didn't get).

I claimed when we got home & was in dispute for about 9 months, but they wore me down & we accepted flight vouchers with them, so booked flight to Barcelona.

I would have sued them through a NWNF solicitor, but I'd already successfully sued them 10 years previously and couldn't be arsed again.
  • If a flight is overbooked it should be first booked gets priority.
    I always book my flights months in advance so if someone books the same flight at the last minute surely I should have preference.
    Having said that anyone who is overbooked for no fault of his (or her) fault of their own they deserve massive compensation from the airline concerned
  • edited April 2017

If a flight is overbooked it should be first booked gets priority.
    I always book my flights months in advance so if someone books the same flight at the last minute surely I should have preference.
    Having said that anyone who is overbooked for no fault of his (or her) fault of their own they deserve massive compensation from the airline concerned

I agree. But that's not the way the airlines see it. If a frequent flyer or an important corporate client wants your seat and are paying a full whack fare they are going to get your seat.

I'm convinced that's why you can't pre-book your seat on BA (and others) now until a day before the flight (unless you pay extra). This even applies to their so-called Club World seats. BA service generally has gone so far down the tubes it's right in the sewer IMO. But it's probably still better than the yank airlines.

Edited to add: I guess United are going to have to change that "fly the friendly skies" slogan now.
  • Aside from the airline, I am waiting for the security personnel to be named and shamed.... Won't take long for somebody to recognise them from the videos going round.

They and their families lives will be utterly ruined by this if there is any justice. And I won't have any sympathy for them.