Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Close Encounter with Meire (QandA Royal Greenwich Suite)

Further below, is my recollection of my question put to Meire in the QanaA pre-Southend game.
I think I can give a pretty much verbatim account as I read out my prepared question, took notes, and Meire had little to say in reply.

We only had 45 minutes and I believe there is to be a fuller account the CASTrust website and I don't want to speak for others who asked questions - all of which were in one way or another critical of the regime - with one notable exception. A chap said she /the club should be proud of what she/they have done in providing the cheapest seats to watch football in London. Not a question of course but one well received by Meire. It immediately occurred to me that if seat pricing was his sole criterion (which is the implied logic) then on that basis, were Millwall or Palace to offer cheaper seating would the 'questioner' simply up sticks and go there? Anyway..........
--------------------------------------------------------
Preamble: CJ:
KATRIEN. YOU’VE TALKED ABOUT LEARNING FROM YOUR MISTAKES BUT YOU HAVE FAILED TO ADDRESS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF ALL.
AS CEO, YOU HAVE PERSONALLY PRESIDED OVER A CATASTROPHIC THREE AND A HALF YEAR PERIOD FOR CHARLTON ATHLETIC

WHILST MANAGERS HAVE COME AND GONE YOU HAVE STAYED IN YOUR SINECURE POST WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN ENTRUSTED WITH ENORMOUS RESPONSIBILITY BUT WITH NO ACCOUNTABILITY WHATSOEVER.

YOU CLING TO A MEANINGLESS MANTRA OF 'NOT DOING FAILURE' WHEN ALL THE EVIDENCE PRESENTS OTHERWISE.
IF YOU REALLY HAD THE BEST INTERESTS OF THIS CLUB AT HEART YOU SHOULD HAVE RECOGNISED THIS LEVEL OF FAILURE AND RESIGNED

Question: CJ
IN FACT, THE DECENT AND MOST GRACIOUS THING YOU COULD DO IS RESIGN RIGHT NOW TODAY
THAT’S RIGHT ISN’T IT?
Response: KM
WELL THATS YOUR OPINION

Follow up: CJ

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DEFEND THREE AND A HALF YEARS OF FAILURE?

b>Response: KM
ITS YOUR OPINION

Follow up: CJ

SO,
RELEGATION TO THIRD TIER
LOWEST LEAGUE POSITION SINCE 1926
DISAFFECTION OF FANS
PUBLIC AND IN-GAME PROTESTS
LOSS OF AROUND 4,000 STHOLDERS
DWINDLING CROWDS

NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY,
NO ACCOUNTABILITY,
NOTHING?

Response: KM
IT IS FOR SURE OUR RESPONSIBILITY BUT FOR YOUR QUESTION......(voice trailed off)

Final comment: CJ

NO REAL RESPONSE THEN.

END
................................................................................

Comments

• Sums up the regime and also her inability to think on her feet, when her practiced mantra won't do she is flummoxed.
  • John. Excellent question, you nailed her to the wall but I think you got the answer (or not) that you were expecting.
  • Fit and proper person. FACT.
  • edited April 2017
    addick05 said:

John. Excellent question, you nailed her to the wall but I think you got the answer (or not) that you were expecting.

Mine was the second question in and I don't think she had settled down to it and gave very short and ultra defensive meaningless replies. I was trying to focus on the 3.5 years of all round failure rather than the specifics in order to try to get her to recognise/admit in some personal part in this abject failure as the CEO and therefore the senior management person in place at The Valley.

I had expected a much more robust defence and it was noticeable, later in the session, that she trotted out some of the very well-rehearsed arguments she has put forward before when similar questions to mine were asked about her performance and why she has not been sacked as would have been the case in any parallel business situation.

For example: she came out with the "I must be doing a good job because I am still here " defence first employed on the Jim White Talksport radio interview.

She embellished it somewhat (and I paraphrase as was scribbling down the notes)
    "Roland Duchatelet employs people all over the world and if he thought I wasn't doing a good job I wouldn't be here"

• Perfectly boxed in. If that idiot Murray had been able to, he would have moved to another questioner but if the questions are followed up like that there is no hiding place. All the numbers are bad. And she said herself ages back, the buck stops with her.
  • edited April 2017
    HarryLime said:

addick05 said:

John. Excellent question, you nailed her to the wall but I think you got the answer (or not) that you were expecting.

It really does sum them up "I must be doing a good job because I'm still here"
    Come on Rubashow, earn your corn, come up with somthing better than that.
    The University of Leuven must be so proud that they gave that award last year to an intellectual giant of Meire stature.
    I must be doing a good job because I'm still here FFS!
    It is just possible that this line of thinking might be Meire's alone?
    Whatever is the case, it is one she clearly is more than willing to employ and its as if the logic stands up without question.

In fact, Roger Carter, in VOTV 132 picked up on this exact flaw in the argument and stated:

'Using this theory, everyone who has a job and has not been sacked is clearly doing very well.'

Meire is still in post because she has indeed done nothing wrong in RD's eyes because she is pursuing his vision to the letter with the focus (openly admitted at the QandA) being the training ground (i.e. for the purposes of the player farming) and the new website (for the purposes of fan engagement by way of feedback 'currency' - yes that was the marketing term used).

• Sponsored links:

• "Well that's your opinion"
    Are you fucking kidding me!!!
  • I clearly wasn't speaking her language or rather I had the wrong 'data currency'.

She has totally embraced (marketing word) the drive towards on-line data currency feedback.
    That way you can do it all on-line with your dedicated subscribers (even take bookings for Curry Night) without having to engage face to face with real fans. Job done.

I suspect that her bedtime reading is not the most recent programme (or indeed VOTV) but Digital Marketing weekly!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The New Data Currency In A Digital World
    First-, Second- & Third-Party Data In A Data Currency World
    Accordingly, there’s been a shift in the essential data currency for marketers. Within the search world, that currency has mainly been keyword data. But within the world of display and social, that currency is largely behavior and audience characteristic data.

As a marketer, this involves deriving as much value as possible from your first-party data, but it also means looking across the landscape of third-party data to provide an additional layer of intelligence and color in your targeting efforts. Finally, with the increasing use of data management platforms (DMP) and retargeting platforms, there is a new opportunity to use what’s known as second-party data............
  • Was this under the clock at Waterloo? Would be very ironic if so
  • seth plum said:

We are in a world of fake news and alternative facts and the dissing of experts. It is an Orwellian world where things are so, because you want them to be so, and if you think you're right that is good enough. Echoes of Mao's cultural Revolution spreading around the world, where reality and facts count for nothing compared to the desire of the ego.
    When we were relegated Mandy Rice Davis denied it last year, her denial was the fruits of the management culture at Charlton. I sometimes imagine that if you sent Tony Cajones out to buy a loaf of bread, he would return with a colouring in book and insist it was edible.

LOL, seth !

This post made my day !
  • The answer to 'why are you still here' is surely 'because I couldn't get another job other thanwitg Uncle Roly'
  • Sponsored links:

• What could she say? If she agreed she's have to resign. If she disagreed she'd (rightly) be laughed out of the room. So all she could do is muddle through the answers while quietly wondering if the absentee landlord is paying her enough to have to go through this shit ...

Her position is untenable. I suspect even the egotistical Katrien realises that by now.
  • mogodon said:

What could she say? If she agreed she's have to resign. If she disagreed she'd (rightly) be laughed out of the room. So all she could do is muddle through the answers while quietly wondering if the absentee landlord is paying her enough to have to go through this shit ...

Her position is untenable. I suspect even the egotistical Katrien realises that by now.

Was it as recently as last Autumn that Katrien was at a conference where it was said that Charlton was a badly run club and she freaked out in response? This suggests that at that time at least she believed the club was well run. There is no evidence to suggest her position has changed, she looks like she thinks she is doing a good job and any counter argument is dismissed as opinion.
    She embedded this position in her talksport interview trotting out the line that she must be a success because she has a job.
  • seth plum said:

mogodon said:

What could she say? If she agreed she's have to resign. If she disagreed she'd (rightly) be laughed out of the room. So all she could do is muddle through the answers while quietly wondering if the absentee landlord is paying her enough to have to go through this shit ...

Was it as recently as last Autumn that Katrien was at a conference where it was said that Charlton was a badly run club and she freaked out in response? This suggests that at that time at least she believed the club was well run. There is no evidence to suggest her position has changed, she looks like she thinks she is doing a good job and any counter argument is dismissed as opinion.
    She embedded this position in her talksport interview trotting out the line that she must be a success because she has a job.
    It was last May.
  • Jesus Christ, it makes me so angry and frustrated every time she opens her trap. Such bloody arrogance, why can't she just f#ck off!
  • When bold as day evidence is stacked against you, suggesting, overall you have been rubbish, in terms of whether or not you have been good at your job.

More to the point, her direct association with how bad things have got since Roland took over.

It's surprising and unwise she is even attempting these fans meetings especially when it's too late and it's going to be Impossible to change people's opinion.

It's human nature to not want to give in and admit your wrong, especially when you have been offended along with perhaps a bruised self opinion. (Charlton fans moaning at her)

The only reasonable thing she can do is to hold official "fans apology meetings", Where instead of deflecting, twisting or putting very obvious unrealistic spins on things that everyone laughs at.
    She says sorry for every major blunder, but ......soon as she honestly openly apologises for one thing, then it's going to move on to the next thing then the next thing, until all her defences are down and it gets embarrassing for herself. She's made too many evident mistakes she can't run away from.

When in a job. How can you possibly admit your not good enough for it? Where does that leave you?

Her stubbornness is necessary for her own well being, but it's a ticking time bomb she will have to give into sooner rather then later.

Doing the right thing will benefit her a lot further down the road.

Apologise. Drop the association with Roland. Say you got it wrong but you have learnt greatly from the experience due to your age.
    Explain the regrets but of course don't dis credit yourself too much. Even if evidence does that itself.

She's scared that as soon as she admits defeat, even though in this case she hasn't got a leg to stand on. She's scared that no future employer will take her seriously enough and that's the big money career out the window.

She has to keep that self belief.

We've all seen the Apprentice when that Suger fella decides to not fire the worst person at the task, because they majorly stick up for themselves and give it all mouth in the boardroom till the death.....Even if they were shit.

Simple analogy. Pretty relevant.
  • PWR

Close Encounter Of The Turd Kind?