Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Used for the first time in a competitive game.
Wellington Phoenix v Sydney yesterday in the A-League.

The introduction of goal-line technology can be defended, but VAR is complete utter bullshit.

Decisions add to the theatre of football. Games stopped a couple of times every half, so the video ref can review a situation - please don't let this be the norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo1OV6D9xrA

Comments

• Might slow down a game but it's surely a good thing on the whole, I think each team should be able to challenge the ref once per game and if they're right they get their 'challenge' back
  • Might slow down a game but it's surely a good thing on the whole, I think each team should be able to challenge the ref once per game and if they're right they get their 'challenge' back

So no more swearing at/blaming the ref?
    Ref blunders worst for or against you. Part of the game.
    The controversy is what makes the game.
  • edited April 2017
    If the break away had led to a goal before the review for the penalty it could and one day will be carnage
  • If they had scored on the break would they have then gone back and looked at the handball incident?

Do they have to wait before the ball is dead to look at things?
  • iaitch said:

If they had scored on the break would they have then gone back and looked at the handball incident?

Do they have to wait before the ball is dead to look at things?

Referees do not have to wait until the ball goes out of play – they can stop the game for a review as soon as the ball is in a ‘neutral’ area i.e. when neither team has a good attacking possibility.
  • The stupidest bit of that is the way the team surround the ref after he's given the penalty using the VAR. (Which is part of the problem - i.e. that players are utterly dishonest and unscrupulous when it comes to decisions on the pitch.)
    On what basis are they protesting? Are they saying the VAR must have got it wrong and they saw it more clearly?
    Idiots.australians.

• The stupidest bit of that is the way the team surround the ref after he's given the penalty using the VAR. (Which is part of the problem - i.e. that players are utterly dishonest and unscrupulous when it comes to decisions on the pitch.)
    On what basis are they protesting? Are they saying the VAR must have got it wrong and they saw it more clearly?
    Idiots.

They're protesting as they believed it was a free kick for the defender
  • ozaddick said:

The stupidest bit of that is the way the team surround the ref after he's given the penalty using the VAR. (Which is part of the problem - i.e. that players are utterly dishonest and unscrupulous when it comes to decisions on the pitch.)
    Idiots.australians.

In this instance, they're actually Kiwis
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't wait for hotspot, hawkeye and snickometer for the corners/throw ins.
  • I opened this thread ready to feature on argument alert as I thought this was going to be a piss take of WAR.
  • Works brilliantly in rugby.
  • Danepak said:

The stupidest bit of that is the way the team surround the ref after he's given the penalty using the VAR. (Which is part of the problem - i.e. that players are utterly dishonest and unscrupulous when it comes to decisions on the pitch.)
    Idiots.

But the VAR, with the benefit of slow motion replays and multiple angles correctly decided it was a penalty for handball.
    If it should've been a free kick for the defender, then the VAR would've given a free kick to the defender, surely?
    So the players were clearly wrong, but they felt it was appropriate to argue the case that their split-second partisan and one-eyed judgement was superior to that of a neutral informed observer working with the benefit of hindsight?
    Their protests were pointless and idiotic. As they often are when protesting decisions even without the benefit of VAR.
  • Danepak said:

Idiots.

But the VAR, with the benefit of slow motion replays and multiple angles correctly decided it was a penalty for handball.
    If it should've been a free kick for the defender, then the VAR would've given a free kick to the defender, surely?
    So the players were clearly wrong, but they felt it was appropriate to argue the case that their split-second partisan and one-eyed judgement was superior to that of a neutral informed observer working with the benefit of hindsight?
    Their protests were pointless and idiotic. As they often are when protesting decisions even without the benefit of VAR.
    Do you think it was the correct decision though? Was the Sydney player pushing the Wellington defender down, by having his hands around the shoulders?

• I regularly hear people complaining about the time these reviews will take up in a game, it's just a few seconds... yet nobody seems to complain about the time wasted when players are constantly going down feigning injury or arguing with the ref..
    If this system goes some way to stopping the cheating that blights the modern game then I am all for it...

IMHO use the video ref and punish the player AFTER the game. If someone dives, ban him for x amount of rounds.
  • Absurd to say football has died a bit. Cut the cheating
  • Sponsored links:

• Danepak said:

Danepak said:

Idiots.

Do you think it was the correct decision though? Was the Sydney player pushing the Wellington defender down, by having his hands around the shoulders?

It looks ok to me. Two grown men challenging for a ball and one of them handballed it. The rights and wrongs of the amount of fair/unfair pressure put on the defender is the referee's call and people will always disagree on those sorts of decisions. He obviously thought there was no problem with the challenge but missed the handball.
    It seems like you just want to find a problem with it because you don't agree with using VAR. The fact is, we're still discussing refereeing decisions even when VAR is being used, so maybe a bit of football didn't die after all. :smiley:

Anyway, I don't have a strong opinion either way on whether VAR is a good or bad thing. My point was about players surrounding the ref. At the end of the day, the decision's been made. Players surrounding the ref is ludicrous. It really boils my piss and always has done. I was just disappointed that VAR didn't have any positive effect on this.
  • Danepak said:

Danepak said:

Idiots.

It seems like you just want to find a problem with it because you don't agree with using VAR.
    Yes and I follow Wellington Phoenix too in the A-League. The 1-1 draw means we can't make the finals. Probably didn't help in my disapproval of VAR either :smile:
  • Totally agree with the comments on here about players surrounding the ref. It should be the easiest to deal with too. Wasn't it at the start of this season that they brought it in where if a player approaches a ref to challenge a decision they get booked? It started with the refs implementing the rule and seemed to be working but now seems to have fallen by the wayside.
    It's so easy, any player other than the Captain who approaches the ref in this manner is instantly booked, simple.

• The way to cut cheating is through better discipline. The FA, UEFA and FIFA could all have cracked this years ago within their respective patches if they'd had the bottle. They haven't, so we're left with a solution that adds another layer of differentiation to the professional and the amateur game. Shame.
  • The Phoenix player is actually Italian. And they never cheat

• It's so easy, any player other than the Captain who approaches the ref in this manner is instantly booked, simple.

Now that I completely agree with.
  • Danepak said:

ozaddick said:

Idiots.australians.

In this instance, they're actually Kiwis
    Same thing!!

:wink: