Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

how much realistically do we need to invest in the squad

With the persisting rumours of a regime change and an end to RD's reign of terror, I wondered how much we would realistically need to build a promotion challenging squad next season (let's hope L1).

I'd be interested to here where the general consensus feel we need to bring key players in...although painfully obvious a significant overhaul of the first eleven is needed.

I'd also suggest a complete refresh of first team coaching and management.

I personally feel we would need at least 4/5 top quality players of champ standard, 5-7 million?

Thoughts?

Comments

• A decent manager could do wonders with a little bit of spending money. I can't see robinson doing much no matter what he was given.

Couple of million of shrewd investments could do it. Or a couple of mill on poorly scouted dross could send us in the opposite direction
  • As long as Driesen is still here then we will not be buying anyone we need. The guy never goes to watch games to see a player in the flesh......with him as chief scout what chance do we have.

If we do have new owners then I agree we don't need to spend big -just need to spend wise.
  • It isn't about investing money and getting expensive players, its about getting foitballers who can work within a prescribed, successful system. Slagging off the side you pick every week and announcing 10 new potential arrivals in Summer is not good management.
  • As long as Driesen is still here then we will not be buying anyone we need. The guy never goes to watch games to see a player in the flesh......with him as chief scout what chance do we have.

If we do have new owners then I agree we don't need to spend big -just need to spend wise.

Mowgli wouldn't know what he was looking at anyway. He'd struggle to understand how players don't look as good in real life, as all he sees is packages of action on You Tube showing players best highlights. Everyone looks world class, even Bergdych.
  • You don't need to spend a lot to get out of this division as long as you have the right people making the best decisions about any personnel coming into the club we've got Roly, Katie & Tommy, brilliant
  • edited April 2017
    At this level, it isn't so much the money but how you spend it. Of course, if you have one of the higher budgets you have a better chance. When Powell won the league we had a top six budget, but the transformation wasn't a reckless spending of money. And a lot of the spend was financed by the sale of Jenkinson to Arsenal. The squad became balanced.

The way this lot do business, they seem to totally ignore balance. They see a player with the attributes they like (usually one they think they can sell on for a profit), make no considerations of how they will fit it to the team and the league in some instances and whether they play in a priority position. You can argue about debt, but I have never had an issue with the amount spent on players in total, just the crazy way that money is spent.

But having said that, the last window was an opportunity to spend a couple of million to get us out of a hole - from the Lookman deal - and use it to produce a squad that could get us promoted. With that figure it would be a realistic objective. Yes, it would probably mean having to pay some inflated prices, but again be more flexible - be willing to look in other countries. This lot go from one extreme to another in that respect. - They decide the issue is we have too many foreign players, then won't touch them with a barge pole. Kermogant is French FFS - you just have to bring in the right type - English or foriegn.

And lastly, when you sign a player or renew a contract you need to think about it. I was a bit taken aback when Solly and JJ got the contracts they did in terms of length. These were players other clubs were not going to nick for different reasons. Yes they were loyal players and by all means keep them on, but it doesn't make football sense to give a player whose legs have gone a three year deal. And I am calling for JJ to be made manager. Tex is another point - when we learned of the deal, our eyebrows were raised. A team almost certain of going down to the third division giving a 31 year old a 4 year deal at £12k a week is ridiculous! I think he is a decent player, but I don't pay his wages. These discrepencies in pay do not help the unity of the squad either! Our top six! budget is taken up paying players who haven't been playing for us due to the mis-spending of the regime! I have never experienced people who are incompetent suddenly becoming competent - it is a pointless hope always looking to the next window with this lot in charge. I was not disapointed with the last window because I knew it would be crap.

Leon Cort was an excellent example of what we used to be. A squad player who would always do a job for you. So when you looked at the teamsheet and saw him on it, you didn't worry! Balance is about being able to cover injuries or loss of form with palyers like that!
  • During my time supporting Charlton, I don't think we've ever spent big before being promoted.
    74-75 - virtually nothing
    80-81 - nil. The same team that went down (plus Walsh).
    85-86 - Lennie bought virtually a whole new team for very little money.
    The 2 Curbishley promotions and the Powell year - no banks broken there either.

It's never about spending big but more spending wisely, looking for the right player in terms of attitude, skill and desire. Lennie always looked for a player that had fallen out of favour with his club and had something to prove.

That is something, without a takeover, which will never happen again at Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have spent plenty enough over the last few years to not be in this mess... and also if that money was spent better we would possibly still have lookman and Gomez here
  • When Everton came in with the offer they did - Lookman would have gone under previous regimes too. The thing is, we would have used a small part of the money to bring players in that we might not have done otherwise. And we would have been preparing for that. In the last window, we sold our top and third top goal scorer, and this from a team that were already a bit goal shy! You have to have a plan to fix that.

I recall when Robert Lee was sold. Robinson was brought in immediately. Initially, he had big boots to fill, but Curbs knew the character of the bloke. If I have to rank all the players I have seen playing for Charlton, Lee would be right up there near the top but Robbo would be above him.

• How much have Sheffield United spent this season? I know they bought Hanson and Carruthers.

They probably had decent enough players already but always missed out on promotion.

Wilder has got them playing as a team with good spirit and a fair amount of skill and they look a shoe in to go up.

As has been said above, its not about what you spend but what you spend it on.

• iaitch said:

How much have Sheffield United spent this season? I know they bought Hanson and Carruthers.

They probably had decent enough players already but always missed out on promotion.

Wilder has got them playing as a team with good spirit and a fair amount of skill and they look a shoe in to go up.

As has been said above, its not about what you spend but what you spend it on.

Well we barely spent anything when we won League One (400k on Wiggins being the most expensive surely) with the majority being freebies
  • Double the amount we spent on agent fees should do it
  • When Everton came in with the offer they did - Lookman would have gone under previous regimes too. The thing is, we would have used a small part of the money to bring players in that we might not have done otherwise. And we would have been preparing for that. In the last window, we sold our top and third top goal scorer, and this from a team that were already a bit goal shy! You have to have a plan to fix that.

I recall when Robert Lee was sold. Robinson was brought in immediately. Initially, he had big boots to fill, but Curbs knew the character of the bloke. If I have to rank all the players I have seen playing for Charlton, Lee would be right up there near the top but Robbo would be above him.

Robinson wouldn't last five minutes now if he played like he did when he first joined us. He'd be dismissed as dog-shit/stealing a living and be booed out of the place. In those days though, players were given a bit of leeway and slow starters like Robinson could come good.

If this regime hadn't spunked money... lookman wouldn't have been playing for a league one team losing 15m a year.

• From memory the club said Wiggins, Green, Stephens, Hamer and Morrison signed for undisclosed fees, plus BWP in January.

I'm sure there was also something about Powell saying we only paid fees for either 2 or 3 players.
  • I am sure on GTKTN4 PV said the budget was £4M.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why would a decent Championship standard player want to join a club towards the bottom of L1 ? .

Lots of reasons:

- Because their chairman doesn't do failure and therefore that means they'll be in a winning team
    -The club executive have learned from every mistake that could possibly be made in the running of a football club and therefore can only logically do the right thing to achieve success herein
    - They will get to play alongside the premier league stars of the future
    - Despite the existence of a pressure group Target 20k the Valley crowds are increasingly sparse and playing there will make them nostalgic for when they played at the local rec as kids
    - Monotony and boredom won't be an issue as a new manager will be parachuted in every 28 games and so there will be a chance to learn every single style of football and player position in the game
    - The security of an 18 year contract whether they can play or not (and not need to worry as it won't be found out before the contract is signed)
    - The sheer and utter joy knowing that even if you have just lost 3- 0 at home to Accrington Stanley your fans will have mingled outside before the game and that football is not the most important thing about football.

Truly visionary and I will be surprised if half the Newcastle squad are not handing in transfer requests to come and join us rather than enduring the hum drum gloom of the top flight.
  • Assembling a squad good enough to get promoted isnt possible under this regime.
  • Powell built an entire squad with the Jenkinson money - imagine what someone smart could do with the Lookman cash
  • I don't think we need to spend loads, i think we have the nucleus of a good side, but we're currently led by a manager they seemingly don't want to play for, who hasn't got a clue how to set them up tactically.

A decent left back, creative midfielder, winger and striker added to what we have, and led by a manager who knows what he's doing (like Wilder for example) should be enough to get us out of this division.
  • edited April 2017

I don't think we need to spend loads, i think we have the nucleus of a good side, but we're currently led by a manager they seemingly don't want to play for, who hasn't got a clue how to set them up tactically.

A decent left back, creative midfielder, winger and striker added to what we have, and led by a manager who knows what he's doing (like Wilder for example) should be enough to get us out of this division.

But they have to overcome the crazy way this club is run. Yes, a decent manager given trust and freedom might do it, but that just won't happen. It would be significant if Duchatelet realised his people are clueless and backed a decent manager, but he doesn't. Driesen and Meire need to be kicked into touch! If that happened it might be a sign something has changed!
  • Yes that absolutely won't happen under this ownership
  • For me next year starting line up would be:

GK: Phillips / Rudd (would be free as his contract with Norwich ends this season and has made some good save mixed with terrible performances
    going with Robinsons 4-1-3-1-1
    RB: Solly/Konsa
    CB: Pearce / Bauer (if he isn't sold, not a bad player makes mistakes and apparently wants to leave)
    CB: Konsa / Lennon (providing he overcomes his injuries and isn't sold)
    LB: Page / Chicksen (his contract ends this season but is good cover player)

CDM: Jackson/ Crofts (if either don't retire but need a bit more pace here or around them) / Need a new signing here or Konsa will be moved into this position - I feel Ulvestad could do this but hasn't been given much of a chance this season by Robinson so transfer is unlikely

RM: Holmes
    CM: Aribo / Forster-Caskey
    LM: Ben Reeves (would be a free transfer ex-Robinson player and we was linked with him in January

CAM/Behind Striker: Aribo / Ajose (He is a proven goal scorer and has pace that he could move around the main striker) - Holmes / Reeves / Forster-Caskey can fill in this position if needed

ST/Target Man: Maggenis/Novak (started to link up with Ajose before injuries etc happened)

I would sell Watt, Teixiera, Bauer (only if rumours are too about phone in the changing rooms).

We need another CB, CDM, CM and additional of maybe 2 pacey wingers that can make an impact when coming on from the bench
  • More than the million that they've set as the budget.