Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonatan Johansson

I'm writing an article about this young man (well, he's 41 now) and am seeking Charlton fans' memories and opinions about his time at the Valley.

It will be in a similar vein to this piece on Kishishev earlier in the season: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast-from-the-past-no48-radostin-kishishev-122518301.html

Many thanks

Comments

• He was a very, very good player and under-rated in my opinion. Was an integral part of probably the best Charlton team ever. At 41 I bet he still looks about twelve.
  • Lovely hair
  • My first football hero! What a man! I was probably 5 years old but I spent the whole time pretending to be him!

I cried when I found out he'd been let go.
  • Was prolific when he joined, then the goals because rarer after his first season, but when he did score, they were usually special! King of the overhead kicks
  • Absolutely loved him. Similar to canters, definitely my first hero.

I remember sitting in primary school trying to twist my hair into curls like his, it never worked :(
  • edited April 2017
    When you think of all the names that have come down from the Scottish Leagues (I mean those who have scored for fun up there) and then you compare them with Jonatan, you really wouldnt expect him to have had a better career in England than a lot of them!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonatan_Johansson_(footballer)

i.e. He actually did better down here in England than he did in Scotland!!
  • Was prolific when he joined, then the goals because rarer after his first season, but when he did score, they were usually special! King of the overhead kicks

Could never understand how he fell away in terms of scoring after that first season.

Although he did play out wide a lot - One of those players who I'm sure played out of position because he simply didnt care he was out of position and was just grateful to be playing Football!!
  • Sponsored links:

• The 21 in my name was for the first JJ in my life.

Since we've had Jonjo and Jonnie Jackson but JJ was my hero as a kid!
  • Dazzler21 said:

The 21 in my name was for the first JJ in my life.

Since we've had Jonjo and Jonnie Jackson but JJ was my hero as a kid!

Well there is only ONE true JJ as per his song!!
  • Brilliant in his first season. The overhead kicks stand out, but he generally looked like a very good forward - pace, power, aerial ability, finishing, 7/10 for all of those, which is pretty good in my book.

Don't understand what happened to him after that. 14 goals in his first season, and a further 13 in the other 5 seasons he was with us. We had him in what should have been the peak years of his career, 23 years old until he was about 30. By the time he was finishing up he looked like a mild gust of wind would blow him over. Can't remember whether he had significant injury problems, but he certainly seemed to lack physical presence. Feel sorry for him in retrospect - must be hugely frustrating to not be able to perform at your optimum level. Certainly nothing wrong with his attitude, the epitome of a Curbishley signing in that respect.
  • There have been very few players in my time as a fan where, as soon as they get the ball, you think:

"he's going to score!"

Benty, of course.....and Super Clive......but JJ was up there too !
  • Must admit that after that initial purple patch before he got injured in the first season, I didn't rate him as highly as others - slow and easily pushed off the ball.

That said, he was head and shoulders above what we have these days!
  • There have been very few players in my time as a fan where, as soon as they get the ball, you think:

"he's going to score!"

Benty, of course.....and Super Clive......but JJ was up there too !

Hasselbaink?
  • It's all relative, of course. Slightly above average for a Premiership striker. Would look amazing in lower League 1 side (assuming he got the ball).
  • Think the goals became rarer as he was moved to a wide midfield role as we started to play a 5 man midfield more.

He was awesome in that first season - great bicycle kick v Coventry too if I recall...
  • Seem to recall that he picked up a freak injury at the training ground that kept him out for a long time. When he returned he never found the same goal scoring form again. Loved the way he used to break through then find the corner of the net with low shots from distance. Master of the scissor kick, scored two in the same game v West Ham.
  • He was the launchpad for our survival after our bounce back promotion. A hugely significant signing because of that.
    He was a really good player, a proper footballer as it were who demonstrably had a range of skills a cut above the average, even for the prem in those days.
    Could have a turn of pace, a bit of skill, a decent header, and unerring cool finishing at times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have a memory of the Bradford manager, I think, on a TV talk show saying how they were looking at Jonatan Johansson of Rangers only for the presenter to tell him he'd just signed for Charlton. Poor man looked crestfallen.

Typical Curbs player - worked all day in attack and defence. Always got into scoring positions but he finishing seemed to desert him after the first couple of years.

Your pro pic is a Canadian flag. Soon as I saw that I checked the news.

Anything bad happen that should be aware of?

JJ. I rated him. The main man upfront after Hunts long term problem put him out.

He was a decent squad player after a few years, where the goals were not as consistent.

Curbishleys teams always worked their socks off. Most of the time.

One of the reasons why they were loved.

They also entertained and produced those fearful but yet excitable butterflies, depending on what way the match was going. You couldn't take your eyes off the game. (Without exaggerating too much)

If we lost. It destroyed my weekend.

The only consolation would be MOTD later.

Even if we scored a consolation, I would watch it about 800 times analyzing it, feeling pride. Even if just a tap in. Bit sad, but we were in the premier league.

There's only one JJ. (Actually there's 2)
  • He's the reason 21 is one of my favourite numbers! Such a good little player.
  • He was a terrific player when he joined us. A natural goalscorer and scorer of many important goals - they did dry up a bit but he always gave his best. I do recall a fan had a shirt with JJ is GOD or something similar on it which aptly sums up how good he really was for us for a time.
  • He could still do a good job for us at 41, bring him and Claus back
  • I remember turning to my dad after his first goal for the club & said "that's why we bought him - he knows where the net is"

My favourite moment is not the overhead kicks but him outpacing Chelsea's back four in his first game against them at the Valley - cant remember the name but was a black french International. (no racism intended before anyone gets shirty - just describing what he looked like, ie he was not caucasian)
  • My first Charlton hero.
  • edited April 2017

I remember turning to my dad after his first goal for the club & said "that's why we bought him - he knows where the net is"

My favourite moment is not the overhead kicks but him outpacing Chelsea's back four in his first game against them at the Valley - cant remember the name but was a black french International. (no racism intended before anyone gets shirty - just describing what he looked like, ie he was not caucasian)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1028652.stm

Would it have been this match?

Chelsea's back four was Babarayo, Desailly, Leboeuf, Melchiot.

Found it on YouTube as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoOxFN7D5gQ
  • Great player from a great period of time supporting the Addicks.

However he would be nowhere good enough for Roland.
  • Curbs once said of him that in shooting practice jj never tried to smash the ball.
    It was all about timing with jj, a class act who was great for us
  • Was never the same after his split from Britney Spears