Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• There used to be occasional examples of feral children reported in the past. It is amazing this has happened this year.
    The monkeys tried to protect her from the humans who found her and removed her. They were repelled by having a car driven at them.Incredible story when you think about it.
  • the most remarkable true story to be published for a long long time .. all the best to the young girl, she will obviously need a long time and a lot of care to resort to a 'normal' life and to adjust to the media attention and interference which is bound to occur
  • Chizz said:

I don't really see why they felt the need to 'rescue' her.

This has to be the most bizarre comment posted on CL this year.
    ... and thats saying something considering the year we've had !!
  • I don't really see why they felt the need to 'rescue' her.

Maybe this might give you an idea.....

"She was very thin and weak, and it seemed like she had not eaten for many days"
  • What an amazing story, incredible.
  • Sponsored links:

Wait.....What?
  • shine166 said:

"She was very thin and weak, and it seemed like she had not eaten for many days"
    but most importantly WAS LIVING WITH MONKEYS
    Well yeah, but i thought that was the obvious part
  • Honestly thought this was going to be a joke thread about Thomas Driesen

Maybe he means if that wasn't the case and she seemed well and content would she still need rescuing?

I've see some human parents who would be alot worse than some friendly monkeys.
  • My child lives like a pig, I blame his mother.

Well must admit my initial post was rather tongue in cheek but good to it being quoted...:

So she'd been living with the monkeys for about a week then?

I thought she'd been living with them for several years at least and was a part of their social group which was why they tried to protect her when the metal machine came to take her away.

And then she was rescued to come and be part of a totally alien human culture and be paraded about the place giving up her simple and happy life with the monkey clan for a miserable existence in a world she didn't understand.

Still I suppose there is a chance of a happy ending where she learns to speak and then becomes a wildlife expert hosting a program titled living with the monkeys.

Or summat.

Well must admit my initial post was rather tongue in cheek but good to it being quoted...:

I thought she'd been living with them for several years at least and was a part of their social group which was why they tried to protect her when the metal machine came to take her away.

And then she was rescued to come and be part of a totally alien human culture and be paraded about the place giving up her simple and happy life with the monkey clan for a miserable existence in a world she didn't understand.

Still I suppose there is a chance of a happy ending where she learns to speak and then becomes a wildlife expert hosting a program titled living with the monkeys.

Or summat.

Where does it say it had only been for a week?
  • Sponsored links:

• MSN? Is this real news?
  • MSN? Is this real news?

It's Sky news.
  • Chizz said:

Or summat.

Where does it say it had only been for a week?
    I was going from this:

Didn't get how if she had been living with the monkeys for years she had suddenly run out of food and stopped eating. Thought she must have only just started. Maybe was reading too much into it.

Clearly wasn't in any danger, she and the monkeys had survived for many years by the sound of it.
  • Maybe monkey society was in some ways better than human society.
  • Would be interest to know how long she had been living with them.
    They think she is 10 or 11.
    While she hasn't spoken they say understand what they are saying to her, so she must have had a good knowledge of the language.
    I'm not expecting her to have been in the jungle since birth but I'd imagine not speaking to anyone you would eventually lose the function and understanding of language perhaps? Especially if that loss of communication is at a young age.
  • I didn't understand the bit in the article that said she was eating directly off the floor without using her hands. I seem to remember monkeys have prehensile toes on hands and feet and they use them to eat.

Seemed like it might be a fib.

Or she had just moved on from hanging out with a pack of wolves.