Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Southend | Sat 8 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Southend United
Saturday 8th April 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Roger East (Wiltshire)

Introduction

Following on from our match on Tuesday… Football instantly returns to the Valley this Saturday for what will be our last match of the season on this day of the week – Tomorrow sees the Addicks hosting Southend United in what will hopefully be our last match against a side above us in the table, the recent performance against Milton Keynes Dons on the other hand will certainly put question marks on whether that will be the case yet more points than what we’re on are needed…

Where they come from though is greater conundrum.

The Opposition
Name: Southend United | Manager: Phil Brown
Ground: Roots Hall

The Shrimpers come to the Valley this Saturday on the back of an impressive run, something that the Addicks could certainly do without, just one defeat in the last five matches which saw four wins has well and truly catapulted Southend into the Play-Off positions and with just a handful of games remaining it’ll remain to be seen whether our opponents can hold on to the position this time around…

Results will certainly create mixed emotions for Charlton fans as a win for Southend will continue to deny Millwall’s hopes of promotion come May – Who are the main men though aiming to take Southend back into the Championship?

The Manager: Phil Brown is best known as that Manager who at Half-Time ranted at his Hull City side during a Premier League defeat against Manchester City yet despite a drop which saw him taking over at League Two: Southend, he’s certainly rebuilt his reputation guiding the Shrimpers back into League One and now even possibly beyond.

The Squad: One of the reasons Southend are so high is thanks to the wealth of experience within their ranks, both Marc-Antoine Fortune and Simon Cox have had Premier League experience (with West Brom and Reading respectively) whilst well known bad boy: Nile Ranger appears to have settled (for now) and is proving that if he concentrates on his Football he should be playing at a higher level having scored eight times in yet another disrupted season.

Charlton Team News
With another poor defeat against Milton Keynes on Tuesday, the fans were left once again sceptical of Karl Robinson’s post match views as the customary responses were given… In yesterdays Press Conference ahead of our match on Saturday it was confirmed that the players would now be training at the Valley to get accustomed to the pitch and surroundings (despite that being our home pitch where we already play half our games).

In terms of Squad selection its impossible to predict who’ll be included and who’ll be dropped after that pathetic display which saw many asking whether they deserved to wear the shirt… Because of that my own selection this week is certainly nothing more than a stab in the dark!!

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Jackson | Ulvestad
Byrne | Aribo | Holmes
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Teixeira | Chicksen | Botaka | Forster-Caskey | Crofts | Watt

Comments

• The way we are performing at the moment i can't see where the next point is coming from.
    I wish I could be more positive but I can't.
    3.1 Southend.

Just sell the club

We've tended to play better against the higher teams this season... Whilst we've been awful against the teams scraping for survival, because of that it gives me a bit of hope for tomorrow but if we dont win, I definitely dont see where the next point will come from!!
  • I predict we'll change formations 3 times during the game with no player having a clue what to do. 2-1 defeat
  • We may lose and we may not play that well. But I predict the performance levels won't drop as low on again as they did against MK Dons on Tuesday.
  • Cant see where a goal is coming from let alone a point, 2-0 defeat
  • Charlton 6-1 Southend no bets this time :lol:
  • I can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • 2-0 defeat seems to be the latest run we're on but I fear we'll need a marked improvement to get away with only conceding two
  • Nothing from this one . Back to 3-0 defeat .
  • Sponsored links:

• Just play a flat 4-4-2 you stupid scouse cnut.

0-2 and the plummet towards a final day show down continues.
  • This is a fixture that once upon a time I would have looked forward to even in league 1. Can't see anything other than defeat don't care and wont be there.
    Charlton till I die
  • 1-1 is back, good draw
  • 1-1 draw. A result which probably won't help anyone.
  • Anyone who witnessed Tuesday night surely cannot imagine us getting another win this season, or even another goal. A draw is the best we can hope for from this fixture, but honestly, it looks unlikely.

0-2
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • edited April 2017
    It's hard to make a case for us in this one - aprt from the fact that football is a funny game. Sadly we are talking about Southend United, not Manchester United. It is disgraceful. Needless to say, I'll be out shopping with the wife.
  • MrLargo said:

Two more landmarks achieved by the tubby Scouser this week - first ever away league defeat to Peterborough and first ever home defeat to MK Dons. Great work, Karl.

Southend are another side that we've got a great record against, 24 wins and just 9 losses in 43 meetings. The standout Addicks vs Shrimpers memory has to be the game that marked the opening of the East Stand, when the Addicks won 4-3 with a late winner scored by a knobend with a massive nose, despite the efforts of the Southend left back whose name I didn't know at the time, but I think he went on to have a reasonably successful career.

There was also a 3-0 midweek home defeat in the mid-90's. The ITV cameras were there as the game was going to feature on Carlton Sport (hosted by the suave Matthew Lorenzo if you're interested) later that evening. I don't remember much about the game, except for getting an interesting insight into the mentality of a football supporter. Obviously a 3-0 defeat was pretty horrendous viewing from a Charlton supporter's perspective, and I recall an old bloke shouting out "f%*king sort it out Charlton, I've got to sit through this again when I get home!". Nobody would go to the cinema, watch a film which turned out to be absolutely rubbish and then go home and immediately endure it again on DVD. The old bloke was right though, and I also went home and dutifully turned on Carlton Sport.

Getting no positive vibes at all about tomorrow. Rock-bottom is redefined for the second time in 5 days with a 3-0 defeat - just be thankful that Carlton Sport isn't on tomorrow evening.

That 3-0 defeat was one of my earliest Charlton games... Might even have been one of the second ever match I attended.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

Two more landmarks achieved by the tubby Scouser this week - first ever away league defeat to Peterborough and first ever home defeat to MK Dons. Great work, Karl.

Southend are another side that we've got a great record against, 24 wins and just 9 losses in 43 meetings. The standout Addicks vs Shrimpers memory has to be the game that marked the opening of the East Stand, when the Addicks won 4-3 with a late winner scored by a knobend with a massive nose, despite the efforts of the Southend left back whose name I didn't know at the time, but I think he went on to have a reasonably successful career.

There was also a 3-0 midweek home defeat in the mid-90's. The ITV cameras were there as the game was going to feature on Carlton Sport (hosted by the suave Matthew Lorenzo if you're interested) later that evening. I don't remember much about the game, except for getting an interesting insight into the mentality of a football supporter. Obviously a 3-0 defeat was pretty horrendous viewing from a Charlton supporter's perspective, and I recall an old bloke shouting out "f%*king sort it out Charlton, I've got to sit through this again when I get home!". Nobody would go to the cinema, watch a film which turned out to be absolutely rubbish and then go home and immediately endure it again on DVD. The old bloke was right though, and I also went home and dutifully turned on Carlton Sport.

Getting no positive vibes at all about tomorrow. Rock-bottom is redefined for the second time in 5 days with a 3-0 defeat - just be thankful that Carlton Sport isn't on tomorrow evening.

That 3-0 defeat was one of my earliest Charlton games... Might even have been one of the second ever match I attended.
    That was on the Tuesday night and the following Saturday was our last win against erm that lot from SE16 to date.
  • MrLargo said:

The 4-3 win was my first ever game (aged 3!)
  • Reading Robinson's pre-match, I don't think he has much hope of achieving a result against such an awesome team.
  • This is a dead cert away win
    Ludicrously Paddy Power still has the shrimpers 6/4 against the away win! That simply represents free money and should not be spurned. Betting against one's team always feels strange, wrong even, but this is just not to be missed. Anywhere you can get Evens or better has to be lapped up. Any compensations, however strange, have to be taken while roly persists with his toxic pantomime. Not even refereeing of Keith Stroud's kind of lunacy can stand between Southend United, 3 points and a major boost to their goal difference. Edging the spanners a little further out of the play-off picture is good too.
    Meanwhile, anytime the risible fat scouse gobshite wants to move as far away from SE7 as his pastey pins will carry him, can't come soon enough for me. "training at the the valley will make a difference...blah blah blah..." yet another in his litany of preposterous drivel, he plumbs new depths in blather, just as roly's mob plumbs new depths in mismanagement, they deserve each other. We all deserve neither.
  • edited April 2017
    Could go one of two ways:
    Big improvement leading to a battling draw, or more likely, a heavy defeat.

Players fed up with being publicly berated for not being good enough have a habit of saying 'sod you then'.
    Most of them know they have no future at the club, for one reason or another, and have clearly lost any faith they may have had in KR's 4231 formation (or whatever it's supposed to be).

For what it's worth I'd play Botaka.

Either 1-1 or 0-4.

Can it get any worse?

We need to finish higher than 22nd to avoid our lowest ever league position.
  • MrLargo said:

The 4-3 win was my first ever game (aged 3!)
    Pardew got the 3rd and 4th for us. That 3rd goal goal he had rounded the keeper and there was a Southend defender on the goal line who didn't do a very good job. Somehow that defender still went on to later win 5 England caps. In the process Alan Curbishley would later still sign him for the Addicks despite not being being very good on that goal line. This defender would actually have three seperarte spells as a player at Charlton making a total of 270 appearances. He would even go on to manage Charlton for 3 years before a new bad owner decided to stab him in the back. Many Charlton fans even think that this defender should be awarded a knighthood. I just wonder what this man's name is..... Hmmmm!
  • I might bet on Southend, simply as that will give us more of a chance with my betting record!
  • Very jammy 2-1,robbo able to show a touch of genius.
  • Another leauge1 big gun comes to town. We can only aspire to be up there with the Fleetwoods, Southends & Millwalls of this division. If only we had their setup , training facilities, budget and stadiums, we could look to push on and join this elite group. However,mplucky little Charlton will roll over and make no attempt to play. 0-2