Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Duolingo

Free website for learning a language. Anyone else on here use it? I just started learning Spanish and I'm looking for some friends to add for a bit of healthy competition/motivation. I use the same handle as on here.

Comments

• Superb - really enjoyed doing the Spanish one (completed it :)) and do the Italian one now. Will look for you and add you.
  • edited April 2017
    Cheers! How fluent do you felt you became for finishing the course? Your username suggests you have some Spanish links anyway, but would you be able to hold your own in a basic conversation in a holiday type situation?
  • I gave it a crack for Swedish about 2 years ago, I really enjoyed it. There were a few bizarre sentences but I was pretty impressed with it. Pretty addictive after a while.

The only drawback I had, and I'm not sure if it's still an issue, is that it required an active internet connection if you use the android app - a bit inconvenient for cramming a bit of practice in on the train/tube.
  • To be honest I was pretty much fluent already when I did the course but it was very good practice for vocabulary and grammar. I did the Italian one for a few months before I went there on holiday though and got from nothing to pretty basic conversation level just through Duolingo. It is very well structured and very addictive!
  • Free website for learning a language. Anyone else on here use it? I just started learning Spanish and I'm looking for some friends to add for a bit of healthy competition/motivation. I use the same handle as on here.

Is it any good? I need to start learning French
  • I downloaded the app.
    Learnt how to say red apples in Spanish and not used it since.
    Keep meaning to have a proper go.
    Would love to be able to speak another language
  • Very similar to @stackitsteve . I started to learn German and Italian on it but then lost interest after a few weeks. I didn't do it one night then it turned into 2, 3 nights without doing it etc and didn't go back on it.

However I do recommend it as it's purely my willpower that was lacking rather than the app which is brilliant.
  • ok cheers guys - will download for French.
  • edited April 2017
    CAFCsayer said:

Free website for learning a language. Anyone else on here use it? I just started learning Spanish and I'm looking for some friends to add for a bit of healthy competition/motivation. I use the same handle as on here.

So far so good, but I'm literally only on day 3 so am still earning stuff like "I am a man" etc. which, and I may flatter myself here, I would hope most people, even Spaniards, would be able to tell about me without me telling them.

Edit, here is a review of it

https://www.fluentin3months.com/duolingo/
  • Cool. Just signed up. Fancied learning Danish for ages!
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been learning Turkish on it. It does get better and there is a point to all the repetitive phrases. I'm the same as Bellz though, made the mistake of leaving it one or two nights. I will get back to it though
  • Just started the German one. Seems i remember a fair bit from school but nowhere near enough
  • edited April 2017

CAFCsayer said:

So far so good, but I'm literally only on day 3 so am still earning stuff like "I am a man" etc. which, and I may flatter myself here, I would hope most people, even Spaniards, would be able to tell about me without me telling them.

Edit, here is a review of it

https://www.fluentin3months.com/duolingo/
    I've been using it from time to time to revise my French.

But like you Exiled, I've found you have to go through a multitude of lessons of stuff that you already know before you can start learning new stuff.
    And it won't let you skip these elementary levels so I've sort of given up in frustration.

Though, it's great for beginners and those who want to polish up the basics again.

• Memrise is another free language learning site which I've found quite useful.
    Not just languages, but also many other topics to brush up on:

https://www.memrise.com/home/

• I used to use the coffee break french podcasts when I drove to work. They were pretty decent
  • Completed the German one. It's good and there's a point to all the repetition.

I did the Polish one for a week before a holiday in Poland and while I wasn't able to hold a conversation, I could understand a lot of what people were saying and I was able to do the basic tourist things.
  • Tried duolingo before, didn't really get anywhere near speaking the language just recalled the names of things.

As IA says I'd be able to listen but not speak enough to hold a conversation.
  • Being able to speak another language is such a useful skill and well worth doing. Gives a different perspective and although it can be extremely frustrating is really rewarding. Good luck everyone doing it!
  • Si, claro
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2017
    Como se dice esta en espangol?
  • Comment dites-vous cela en francais

• Oggy Red said:

Memrise is another free language learning site which I've found quite useful.

Fantastic for anyone mental enough to want to learn to read Chinese!
  • Oggy Red said:

Memrise is another free language learning site which I've found quite useful.

Oh that does look a useful site. Thanks for sharing. As well as Turkish, I'm trying to learn Swiss German as I go out to Zurich quite often . There's not many sites that teach Swiss German itself
  • Currently using it to learn Spanish, have used it in the past to brush up on my Italian. It's good for casual learning and I think you'll definitely see improvements but I think it's easy to forget things you've learned on there.

Cool. Just signed up. Fancied learning Danish for ages!

Jeg kan ikker husker min Dansk :-(

• Trying to get some basics in Russian but don't get very far, as my health keeps running out and I'm forever being asked to pay more dosh or is that their idea?
  • Trying to get some basics in Russian but don't get very far, as my health keeps running out and I'm forever being asked to pay more dosh or is that their idea?

Only just started Spanish but never been asked to pay anything, what am I doing right?

Only just started Spanish but never been asked to pay anything, what am I doing right?
    Duolingo is completely free as far as I am aware. I think you can buy add-ons or pay to restore a streak if you missed a day, but I don't think there is anything you can't get by just using it lots and earning the in app lingots which you can the use to buy the add-ons.
  • I was told I'm bilingually illiterate. I can't read or write in two languages.