Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Barker Leaving?

edited April 2017 in General Charlton
SPECULATION continues to mount that interim boss Paul Warne will be announced as Rotherham United’s permanent manager tomorrow, with former Rotherham Boys star Richie Barker joining the coaching staff.

Although unconfirmed, talk among fans has picked up pace over the last few days — receiving a mixed reception along the way.

Barker, from Aston, will leave his current role as assistant manager of League One side Charlton, where he has been Karl Robinson’s number two since following him to the capital from MK Dons in December, 2016.

Barker racked up over 150 appearances for the Millers during two spells, scoring 18 times.

Comments

• Admin please correct the title to Barker (Thanks)
  • Cheryl or Danny ?
  • The fact that Rotherham is considered at good move speaks volumes for the omnishambles of a club we have become.

Or does he know he needs to find a new job soon anyway ?

• The fact that Rotherham is considered at good move speaks volumes for the omnishambles of a club we have become.

He is from that part of the world though, and played for Rotherham so that may be an attraction

And Rotherham might still be a division above us next season ......
  • edited April 2017
    If he does go it says a lot, in that he's moving as a number 2 to a number 2 so it's not about getting a managers role.

It could mean a number of things;

1. He knows a buyer is in the waiting and therefore likely to get a new management team in
    2. He knows that they are done here and Robinson is soon to be on his way out (but no change of owner).
    3. He to me when I met him seemed a down to earth, knowledgeable football guy. Therefore it could just be like the players in the dressing room he can't wait to get out of the toxic club we've become. It's a job after all and life is too short to stay somewhere and get up and go to a job you hate.

Obviously I'm hoping it's 1. above but deep down suspect it's number 3.

Or maybe it's all just false truths as they now seem to say!
  • Rob7Lee said:

If he does go it says a lot, in that he's moving as a number 2 to a number 2 so it's not about getting a managers role.

1. He knows a buyer is in the waiting and therefore likely to get a new management team in
    2. He knows that they are done here and Robinson is soon to be on his way out (but no change of owner).
    3. He to me when I met him seemed a down to earth, knowledgeable football guy. Therefore it could just be like the players in the dressing room he can't wait to get out of the toxic club we've become.

Or he could just be moving closer to his family

Or he's fed up with having Chris O'Loughlin about.
  • Rob7Lee said:

3. He to me when I met him seemed a down to earth, knowledgeable football guy. Therefore it could just be like the players in the dressing room he can't wait to get out of the toxic club we've become.

Or he could just be moving closer to his family

Or he's fed up with having Chris O'Loughlin about.
    Which is sort of what my Number 3 was about (edited originally after you quoted)
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

His contribution has been immense in ensuring the success of this football club and I'm not surprised he's in high demand. Best of luck to him.

Wont ever top the contribution from Wim de Cort
  • Or he might want to move up north. We have had experience of those types before.
  • Congo Chris in as number two. Robinson gets sacked. Congo Chris becomes interim.

It's all falling into place. Well done Roland. You probably see this as success.
  • se9addick said:

His contribution has been immense in ensuring the success of this football club and I'm not surprised he's in high demand. Best of luck to him.

I sense one of those internet quiz questions, name every coach who has worked under RD in 10 minutes...
  • 2 years since I bought a season ticket and I did not know that this chap was the assistant manager. Looks like I am out of touch but still pay the valley gold
  • Baz said:

Looks like I am out of touch ........

Not just you, is it?

The owner and the entire senior management team also.

• Jose Jeunechamps to replace him hopefully
  • mogodon said:

The fact that Rotherham is considered at good move speaks volumes for the omnishambles of a club we have become.

Or does he know he needs to find a new job soon anyway ?

Any hope he might take Robinson as his No.2?
    I nearly liked that because without my glasses I read that as his number 22, gave you a lol instead :wink: .
  • That's fine, take a few more with you.
  • se9addick said:

Jose Jeunechamps to replace him hopefully

I'm more of a David Martane fan. Though I might be mixing him up with Guy Kiala.
  • Sponsored links:

• He will be sorely missed
  • Lucky bastard.
  • edited April 2017

The fact that Rotherham is considered at good move speaks volumes for the omnishambles of a club we have become.

be Assistant at Leicester or No. 1 at Charlton?

be Assistant at Charlton or no.1 at Rotherham?

No difference in those two moves for me.
  • Dazzler21 said:

be Assistant at Leicester or No. 1 at Charlton?

be Assistant at Charlton or no.1 at Rotherham?

No difference in those two moves for me.
    But it isn't to become manager, it is to join the coaching staff.
  • Or he might want to move up north. We have had experience of those types before.

So he's really going to Brighton then?
  • Heard Barkers off to Rotheram at the end of the season
  • Thought there was going to be new Question of Sport presenter.