Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dublin ideas ?

The misses and I are off to Dublin for the weekend end of August any suggestions on where to go during the daytime and the evening ?

Comments

• The Guinness factory, Trinity College, Temple Bar area, Grafton Street for shopping, Dublin Castle are worth a visit imo.
    If you have a car drive out to Wicklow which has some amazing scenery. The one thing you wont be short of is pubs although there are fewer since the smoking ban!
  • Have lunch at The Elephant & Castle cafe, let the missus go shopping, then stay all afternoon in the Dame Taven, Dame Street.

Easily the Best Pub in Dublin.

Pat, is also the best landlord I've ever met too.

Had the best Saturday afternoon/early evening ever in there.
  • try and get out to bray if you can find the time, if not pop up into the mountains you wont be dispointed.
  • Pre-Season v Bray was great day out
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Pre-Season v Bray was great day out

copper face jacks?
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]

In Dublin, Falcs, all the landlords are called Pat.

;o)
  • Pop in McDaids just off Grafton Street, lovely old pub.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]

[/quote]

In Dublin, Falcs, all the landlords are called Pat.

;o)[/quote]

Was waiting for that. . .
  • Be prepared to be paying silly money for a beer.... 7 or 8 euro's for a pint of the black stuff, that was brewed a stones throw away!!

Having said that, the Guinness factory is a must visit.
  • We're off to Dublin tomorrow, any more suggestions?

Definately doing this: Rock Tour Bus
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2008
    Suzi

Do the ghost bus tour great fun. Take some pics next the church on the stair case and see some strange things in the pics. Need to book in advanced though this can be done at the bus shop in connell street.

Dublin has some cracking parks but since its winter hey ho.

Dublin is very expensive so take loads of dosh.

Dublin is ok I would give it 2.5/5.

ps spread the Murray and co word out there !!
  • Make sure you get into some good pubs early sunday afternoon for some traditional music. far less busy too. You'll have to ask at yor hotel which ones do trad music sunday lunch.
  • Parks are awesome in the winter!

We're meeting up with a friend who lives there so Im sure we'll visit some unusual things rather than the touristy spots. Can't wait. I'll bring back a leprechaun for luck.
  • yep, we've got plans to go to trad bar like we did in cork. loved it.
    we're at a gig on the sunday night, but coming home tuesday night so got a few days to chill and look about.
  • edited November 2008
    Whelan's is great for a rock/indie night out.

I worked in Dublin for a while and Whelan's was always the best place for live music and good beer.

It's a bar first then turns into a club with live bands and good DJ's. Loads of decent bands have and continue to play there.

www.whelanslive.com

If you want really good food at not really expensive prices try rhodesD7 (Gary Rhodes). Personally dislike the man but this restaurant is great.

www.rhodesd7.com
  • visit the guinness brewery - v interesting and you (used to at least) get a complmentary pint at theend :-)))
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]We're off to Dublin tomorrow, any more suggestions?

Definately doing this:Rock Tour Bus

Try St Michan's church near the Jameson's distillery. They've got these bodies that for some reason haven't decomposed. There are some interesting stories about who they were and so on. You used to be able to shake hands with them, but think that's probably not allowed anymore.
  • Would agree with pretty much everything already said. Actuall though I tend to steer clear of Temple Bar, overpriced and full of tourists :-)

Try to get to the College and visit the library, it's worth it.

And if you are driving, definately worth heading a few miles south to Wicklow.
  • Sponsored links:

• As people have said, the Guiness brewery is a must. Really interesting and you get tasters and then a pint at the end. The views from the bar at the top are stunning - best view is over the Wicklow mountains.

Temple Bar has to be visited, just for the experience, but it's very expensive.
  • Just spoken to the Mrs too - she liked Dublin Zoo, was a nice few hours up there. Pretty big.
  • anyone recommend not to dear hotels,we are lookin to book the in-laws a break for father in laws 60th
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]anyone recommend not to dear hotels,we are lookin to book the in-laws a break for father in laws 60th[/quote]

It was expensive when we went in June mate and the Pound/Euro has bombed out since then....
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]anyone recommend not to dear hotels,we are lookin to book the in-laws a break for father in laws 60th

we stayed here, mate. just a short stroll from o'connell street. booked it through expedia, double cost £100 for 2 nights. lovely hotel. felt more like a 4 star than a 3 star.

Parnell Square Hotel
  • Les you are a star see you at ten past three on saturday ;-)