Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone worked/working in Luxembourg ?

I am in preliminary stages of negotiations for an IT contract in Luxembourg.
Already the agent is asking if i want to go 1) Umbrella company in Luxembourg pain in Euros or 2) Invoice through my company in UK also paid in Euros.

Any advice? or know anyone i could contact ?

Comments

• Can't help other than to say I worked there for a few weeks with a top tier bank - and the place is as boring as fuck.

I mean - Brussels is boring.....but it's like Vegas compared to Luxembourg.
  • edited February 2017
    There's a reason that all the banks threaten to move to places like Luxembourg but never actually do it, it's the dullest place on Earth.

I don't know how things work in Luxembourg, but my understanding is that you would keep even more as an LTD than you would from an Umbrella, but the LTD is more work to maintain.
  • I'm wondering if @Alwaysneil might have a contact ?
  • edited February 2017

Can't help other than to say I worked there for a few weeks with a top tier bank - and the place is as boring as fuck.

ha ha! Same here, Had to spend three weeks out there in 2010. Felt like a retirement village. I found everything so slow and dull. I couldn't wait to get home. Got offered another project out there a couple of years later and immediately offered delegated it to someone else.
  • Luxembourg is pretty sterile to be honest. I'm guessing the agency is based in Luxembourg if they want to pay you in Euros?

You should be OK to go through your UK Ltd Company, as the double tax convention between the UK and LUX is primarily based on where your permanent residency is, but naturally depends on how long the assignment will be.

Definitely speak to your accountant and get their advice (when I was in Zurich I could only stay for 6 months and had to make a few trips back to the UK) and also your business banking account manager to find out what the charges are for exchanging X amount of euro's to GBP.
  • Luxembourg is pretty sterile to be honest. I'm guessing the agency is based in Luxembourg if they want to pay you in Euros?

You should be OK to go through your UK Ltd Company, as the double tax convention between the UK and LUX is primarily based on where your permanent residency is, but naturally depends on how long the assignment will be.

Definitely speak to your accountant and get their advice (when I was in Zurich I could only stay for 6 months and had to make a few trips back to the UK) and also your business banking account manager to find out what the charges are for exchanging X amount of euro's to GBP.

Don't just talk to your bank about currency exchange, there are plenty of independents out there who will offer better rates of exchange.
    I've used HiFX in the past and been very happy with them.
  • Thanks guys.
    Its not the FX that concerns me, thats easily sorted- its just what the bottom line would be from being paid via an Umbrella company in Lux against what i could potentially earn by billing from UK. Everyone tells me that Lux is a tax haven, but what the agent is telling me is that i could potentially receive 60 per cent of my earnings net via Umbrella - but however, feel that they are trying to oversell it to me, thus a hint of financial inducements for the agent to do so.
  • Yes, the agent is in Lux, however they are a UK company !
  • Can't help other than to say I worked there for a few weeks with a top tier bank - and the place is as boring as fuck.

I second that. I've been there on business a few times, and I swear it was closed every time.
  • Boring v Being out of work- it's a no contest.

I notice there are a few British/Irish pubs there so can't be that bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• An old school friend lives there with her hubby and kids - I believe there is a reasonable ex-pat contingency out there.

She seems very happy out there but she was always keen on nature and walks in the forest - there's plenty of that.
  • Luxembourg basic corporate tax rate is surprisingly high. Even after planned reductions in 2017 and 2018 it is still 27%, in the U.K. It will be 17%.

I think, without checking, that you would be better being pod into the uk. That's if you would be paid the same amount In both cases.
  • edited February 2017
    Beautiful city, lovely place for a walk especially at night. If you like art and/or history the MNA is great. Some nice bars and restaurants and the Christmas market is lovely (though probably not in February). If you like a quiet life, I think it would be a wonderful place to live but if you like a bit more hustle and bustle I'd think you'd probably outgrow it in a weekend.
  • I thought people in Luxembourg didn't have to work?
  • I thought people in Luxembourg didn't have to work?

Luxembourghers dont have to work , thats why 40per cent of the population are immigrants.
  • Including yourself.....LOL!
  • Only just read this thread. Glad to working out for your Pres....
  • Been to any football over there ? Do they have a local league ?
  • se9addick said:

Been to any football over there ? Do they have a local league ?

Yes, they have a semi-pro premier league of which my local club FC Strassen are part of - I have been to see their ground , but they have yet to have a home game whilst ive been here.
    Though I did go to the Lux v France qualifier on Sat night - Lux played well, and at one point were 1-1, but eventually lost 1-3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Only just read this thread. Glad to working out for your Pres....

Cheers Canters - bit closer to Sint Truiden now +
  • But a bit further from the Oval !
  • I cant believe i'm the only Addick working in Lux ?!

The first weekend I was here, watching Spurs v Southampton in Oscars Bar, and the first person I speak to was a Spanner !

The first weekend I was here, watching Spurs v Southampton in Oscars Bar, and the first person I speak to was a Spanner !

Was he there on international community payback?

Go Brexit.......kick 'em all out!
  • Luxembourg calling....again.
    Surely i'm not the only Addick out here?

My sentiments exactly.
  • How little do you all know about Luxembourg.
  • Boring v Being out of work- it's a no contest.

I notice there are a few British/Irish pubs there so can't be that bad.

There's a pub called The Britannia out of town at the bottom of the hill. They show the football and other sports. There's an Irish bar a few doors away, too.