Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL fans' survey on club ownership

Comments

• Options
    Done.
  • Options
    Smashed it.
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    edited March 2017

The EFL don't but, realistically, can't do much to control who owns the clubs. The truth is that most clubs are looking for someone, anyone, that will bank roll them and 'invest' millions of pounds of their own money into the club.

In most cases the club has so much debt that the only criteria is that the new owner has money, or pretends to. In reality beggars can't be choosers. It's ok having a survey asking if the fans are happy with the owners and if the EFL do enough to protect the clubs but all the while they have huge debts and running deficits the EFL's hands are tied.

I totally disagree, of course The EFL can and should control who owns the clubs.
    So if a club goes into administration and one, potential, buyer offers to clear the existing debt at 25p in the £ and another, more popular, buyer offers 1p in the £ should the EFL have the right to force the creditors to accept 4% of what is on the table from the higher bidder? I have a feeling that there would be a legal challenge in that situation.

Also if a club is up for sale and the only bidder that can satisfy the EFL is forcing the seller to take a big hit what happens then?

However, when I said that the EFL's hands are tied I didn't mean that they don't have the power, just that if they refuse to allow 'shady' characters to buy clubs we could well have 90% of EFL clubs going to the wall. There would come a point when they wouldn't be able to pay any staff, players or admin and then the clubs would all fold.

However, more significant to the point, and us in particular, if RD couldn't pass the tests then who the heck would? Clearly RD is a fool, and he has overseen untold damage to our club but on paper, particularly before he bought the club, he looked like the best thing to ever happen to Charlton. The joy when we realised that we had a billionaire owner (all be it in Euros) was unparalleled.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    You're overlooking the fact that the Douchbag had previous at Standard and his other clubs KHA. The evidence was out there.
  • Options
    Done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017

The EFL don't but, realistically, can't do much to control who owns the clubs. The truth is that most clubs are looking for someone, anyone, that will bank roll them and 'invest' millions of pounds of their own money into the club.

In most cases the club has so much debt that the only criteria is that the new owner has money, or pretends to. In reality beggars can't be choosers. It's ok having a survey asking if the fans are happy with the owners and if the EFL do enough to protect the clubs but all the while they have huge debts and running deficits the EFL's hands are tied.

I totally disagree, of course The EFL can and should control who owns the clubs.
    So if a club goes into administration and one, potential, buyer offers to clear the existing debt at 25p in the £ and another, more popular, buyer offers 1p in the £ should the EFL have the right to force the creditors to accept 4% of what is on the table from the higher bidder? I have a feeling that there would be a legal challenge in that situation.

Also if a club is up for sale and the only bidder that can satisfy the EFL is forcing the seller to take a big hit what happens then?

However, when I said that the EFL's hands are tied I didn't mean that they don't have the power, just that if they refuse to allow 'shady' characters to buy clubs we could well have 90% of EFL clubs going to the wall. There would come a point when they wouldn't be able to pay any staff, players or admin and then the clubs would all fold.

However, more significant to the point, and us in particular, if RD couldn't pass the tests then who the heck would? Clearly RD is a fool, and he has overseen untold damage to our club but on paper, particularly before he bought the club, he looked like the best thing to ever happen to Charlton. The joy when we realised that we had a billionaire owner (all be it in Euros) was unparalleled.
    I'm not suggesting there is an easy solution. If there was surely it would already be in place.

However, there has to be a better process to decide who is a fit & proper owner.

I don't think there was unparalleled joy when RD took over. Some fans were already aware of the damage he had done to his other clubs and the EFL could have taken more time, if their process was more robust.

There has to be a better way than the EFL saying we can't do much to control who owns clubs.
  • Options
    Done
  • Options

I'm not suggesting there is an easy solution. If there was surely it would already be in place.

However, there has to be a better process to decide who is a fit & proper owner.

I don't think there was unparalleled joy when RD took over. Some fans were already aware of the damage he had done to his other clubs and the EFL could have taken more time, if their process was more robust.

There has to be a better way than the EFL saying we can't do much to control who owns clubs.
    Before the ink was even dry on the contracts the facts re Standard were out there, who wasn't worried ?
  • Options
    Done. Didn't have to think too long on the answers!
  • Options

Before the ink was even dry on the contracts the facts re Standard were out there, who wasn't worried ?
    I wasn't worried. I was cautiously optimistic due to potential network advantages combined with FFP.

Ok, I was wrong, but I'm not going to pretend I knew the future all along.
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done with eyes closed.
  • Options
    I wonder how many times daisy and cajones have filled it in. Any how many times they've stuffed it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done - More Zeros than a Japanese Air Craft Carrier
  • Options
    HexHex
    edited March 2017

Understand it is difficult if not impoosible for them to interfere in ownership of commercial clubs. Perhaps too simplistic but maybe the EFL could take it upon themselves to conduct this kind of a survey on a regular basis and then impose sanctions on owners falling below reasonable standards in the eyes of fans?

Perhaps the 'fit amd proper' should be an ongoing test ?
  • Options

Understand it is difficult if not impoosible for them to interfere in ownership of commercial clubs. Perhaps too simplistic but maybe the EFL could take it upon themselves to conduct this kind of a survey on a regular basis and then impose sanctions on owners falling below reasonable standards in the eyes of fans?

What sanctions though. I can't think of much that doesn't punish the club and, by default, the fans.
  • Options

Even if he EFL were to grow some teeth I still don't think there was any evidence that RD should not be allowed to own a football club. I'm not aware of there being any question of illegal or improper practices by him. I'm not aware that he took money (net of investments) out of any of his clubs. They can't insist that owners and their appointed CEOs take an IQ test.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

I wasn't worried. I was cautiously optimistic due to potential network advantages combined with FFP.

Ok, I was wrong, but I'm not going to pretend I knew the future all along.
    Who did ? Who could have predicted the complete & utter shambles they have taken us too but certainly the selling of all the star players at Standard after a highly successful season to be replaced by nobodies was warning enough on the playing side at least.
    I didn't see the future but I was certainly worried
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    The result will be spun by Daisy as a tremendous victory, even when it shows zeroes across the board.

"Thanks to the great work of my team, Charlton Athletic is de cloob with the most amount of potential to improve".
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done.