Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

**** Booking Information for Lifers Trip to Ypres & Battlefields ****

edited March 2017 in General Charlton
Further details for the trip to Ypres

The trip will take place on the weekend of Saturday 15th July to Sunday 16th July.

The cost of the trip will be £60 per person which covers the Eurotunnel charges and the hire of the coach and driver for two days. In addition we would also suggest a minimum £10 ‘donation’ per person which will be split equally between the Museum and the Charlton Upbeats as Clive has kindly waived his usual fees. In return you get the services of an excellent and informative guide as those on the last visit will agree. We have decided to hire a 35 seat executive coach and so places are limited and will be reserved on a strictly first come first served basis.

We will require a deposit up-front of half the cost, £30 per person. Final payment will be required by 20th May. If you want to pay the full cost on booking please feel free to do so. When you are ready to book and make payment please message me and I will send you the bank details you need. Please put either your Surname or Charlton Life name as a reference. Once you have paid the deposit can you please message me and provide the full name(s) of those travelling and a contact phone number, preferably your mobile number. Once these funds are received your place(s) will be confirmed.

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE CANNOT CONFIRM THAT THE TRIP WILL RUN UNTIL 30 PEOPLE HAVE COMMITTED TO THE TOUR. WE ADVISE THAT YOU HOLD OFF BOOKING ACCOMMODATION UNTIL SUCH TIME THAT WE CAN CONFIRM THAT THE TOUR IS GOING AHEAD. THEREFORE, THE SOONER PEOPLE PAY THEIR DEPOSIT THE SOONER WE CAN CONFIRM THE TOUR. IF THE TOUR DOES NOT GO AHEAD AS PLANNED THEN YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL. OBVIOUSLY WE HOPE THIS WON’T BE NECESSARY.

We are booked on the 07.50am Eurotunnel service, so an early start. We will pick-up at SE7, Ebbsfleet International and Folkestone. We have no definite times as yet but the first pick-up, SE7, is likely to be around 05.15am at a rough guess.

We have decided that we will ask people to book their own hotel accommodation as we would struggle to find a single hotel to accommodate all our party. Also, some people expect different levels of comfort to others. So we have decided to locate ourselves in Ypres as there are a good range of various types of accommodation. We have listed some below to assist you although others are available. Booking.com is a good place to look. Please note though that we won’t want to be driving round town picking up people from various hotels so best to book accommodation within walking distance of the town centre and the likely coach pick-up point.

Another advantage to locating ourselves in Ypres is that we can attend the Menin Gate ceremony on the Saturday evening at 8pm and then have the rest of the evening in Ypres for people to do as they please; find somewhere to eat, drink etc before returning to their various hotels for the night, and maybe a nightcap or three.

Hotel Recommendations

Luxury - The Ariane - www.ariane.be/en
4 * - Novotel Centrum - http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-3172-novotel-ieper-centrum-flanders-fields/index.shtml
3 * Best Western - https://www.bestwestern.co.uk/hotels/best-western-flanders-lodge-92642 (approx 15 min walk to town)
Mid range - Hotel Albion - www.albionhotel.be
B & B - Hortensia - www.bbhortensia.be
B & B - Hotel Old Tom - www.oldtom.be

Ypres is very compact and all of the above are either on the square or 5 minutes away, Best Western Flanders Lodge excluded.

Itinerary

Clive is currently abroad on a trip of his own but is working on the itinerary. This will be posted on Charlton Life when it is completed.

Thanks for reading; I look forward to receiving your bookings.

Neal (Large Addick)

Comments

• Thanks Neal - have messaged you.
  • I don't have internet banking or would be in touch, but am sure my good friend GHF will be in touch when he gets back from his trip, and will do the honours for both of us. We both are very keen to do this trip.
  • edited March 2017
    All booked! Appreciate Neal's 'warning' about not booking hotel before trip is confirmed. As we are going in July accommodation is booking up fast so I have booked my room through booking.com as free cancellation offered until 13 July. If you met me in Belgium and want to avoid me I have booked room at Best Western which is about a mile from Ypres centre!
  • I have also used booking .com for GHF and myself, but opted for the Novotel as its close to Menin Gate and town. Wish you had too CO.
  • Hants, if you want to pay by cheque I can PM you my address, or wait till GHF returns, entirely up to you.

All booked! Appreciate Neal's 'warning' about not booking hotel before trip is confirmed. As we are going in July accommodation is booking up fast so I have booked my room through booking.com as free cancellation offered until 13 July. If you met me in Belgium and want to avoid me I have booked room at Best Western which is about a mile from Ypres centre!

Were you in the Holiday Inn Express? If so I think we met.
  • Yes - I was in Hasselt HIE along with my fellow WARriors. Forewarned is forearmed!
  • Think the coach driver will be in the Best Western so don't lead him astray
  • Hants, if you want to pay by cheque I can PM you my address, or wait till GHF returns, entirely up to you.

Were you in the Holiday Inn Express? If so I think we met.
    GHF will be back tomorrow Neal, so will be able to do it much quicker than I can get a cheque to you. If he has any problems then will be in touch for your address and get a cheque off. I was in the Holiday Inn Express and met you too.
  • I'm sure we did but I'm terrible with names. Was GHF the guy with a stick? If not don't tell him I said that !!
  • Yes, he was. We had drama later after leaving the coach, but we'll try to avoid it next time.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've booked. Reserved Hotel Old Tom.
  • Mrs Large and I are booked into the Novotel.
  • Just paid. Thanks to all those involved.
  • 15 confirmed bookings so far, thanks to all those who have booked so far. Anyone yet to book don't hang around too long !!
  • I've booked the Best Western. So there will be at least 2 Germans for the tour. Two others are still undecided.
  • MadGerman said:

I've booked the Best Western. So there will be at least 2 Germans for the tour. Two others are still undecided.

couple of others in the Best Western too. So, there are two of you joining the tour at the moment? Maybe two others? Just a bit concerned how we will squeeze you onto a full tour bus. Maybe Clive has a plan.
  • Booked into Novotel - thanks for confirmation Large.
  • Booked into Hotel Old Tom. My deposit cheque is in the post to you, Large.
  • MadGerman said:

I've booked the Best Western. So there will be at least 2 Germans for the tour. Two others are still undecided.

couple of others in the Best Western too. So, there are two of you joining the tour at the moment? Maybe two others? Just a bit concerned how we will squeeze you onto a full tour bus. Maybe Clive has a plan.
    We are going to go by car to Ypres. So we can follow the bus if there are no places left on the coach.
    We are two at the moment. I hope the two others will decide to go or not in the next days.
  • N01R4M said:

Booked into Hotel Old Tom. My deposit cheque is in the post to you, Large.

thanks.
    MadGerman said:

MadGerman said:

We are going to go by car to Ypres. So we can follow the bus if there are no places left on the coach.
    We are two at the moment. I hope the two others will decide to go or not in the next days.
    oh, right, got you. As it stands I'm quite confident the tour bus will sell out so you may have to follow by car. Will be nice to meet you though.

• Sponsored links:

• Booked into Novotel (wife also in same hotel) !!
  • PeterGage said:

Booked into Novotel (wife also in same hotel) !!

and mine, tried to book her in elsewhere but she wouldn't have it !

• Neal, yes I am the guy with a stick, not to be confused with The Man With The Stick (Vic Reeves Big Night Out).

I have paid in full (not to be confused with Eric B and Rakim) £180,00 for @Arsenetatters, @HantsAddick and me GHF.

What a wonderful trip in prospect - grateful thanks to you and Clive for making it happen, as I'm sure it will.

German Addicks never cease telling me the result in 1966 was all wrong, so perhaps we can come up with a different 1918 this time !!
  • Mr & Mrs Fumbluff are in the BestWestern
  • I have received a payment but I can't identify whom it is from. If you have made a payment and not let me know as yet can you please send me a message. Thanks.
  • 25 bookings so far, just 10 places left, don't miss out folks.
  • Great stuff, Large and well done for getting involved in this.

Wish I could join you but so much happening here once the season ends , I'm afraid.

Maybe next time though.
  • What a great project. Thanks to all involved for your time and effort on this.
  • Ok, great. Do you have the account details?