Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

To go or not to go... that is the question.

I'm unexpectedly back in the motherland till April 18th, due to free fights from work bless their cottons.
Suprising me mum last night was superb, thankfully she didn't have a bleeding heart attack!!
So for the first time in a bloody long time, I may not get down to the valley for a game whilst I'm ere. This isn't due to other commitments, just a case of, 'am I bovered?'
Southend at home is probably the match I'd get too if I do. What heady heights!!
But It just seems all a bit... well shite really.
Is it as bad as fans are saying it is on match days?
Is watching ricky Holmes worth the 20 quid every fee?
And giving money to that... beep beep fucking beep of an owner annoys me.
But, I don't get the chance to do it much. And it's my team. I love my club, well what's left of it.
To go or not to go....?

Comments

• How you spend your money is no concern of anyone else. If you wish to go to the game, then enjoy.
  • There will be arguments for both sides of what to do but at the end of the day its your call, no one else's.
  • Under the circs you describe I have to say I would almost certainly go.....yes...!
    At least you will see for yourself what is/has happened at this Club and you may regret not taking the rare opportunity for you if you don't go.

But I'm afraid it will be very different.

The heart and soul of the club has been stripped away by the Meire/Duchatelet axis.
    So, you can still see a football match, it is your team, and if you listen very carefully you will still be able to hear the faint strains of Red Red Robin as the players emerge from the tunnel.

If you want to avoid spending any money in the ground, as I'm sure you will, take snacks and drinks with you and a novel form of entertainment these days is seeing if you can count the total number of people in the East Stand during breaks in play.

Finally, and IMO, go North Upper for the game if you are going.
  • As Coyotejohn says, go and see for yourself.
  • You never know by the time Southend comes around we may have new owners.

Whatever you should go and reaffirm your love for the club, one day we will be great again.
  • Sponsored links:

• it's a long time between Valley visits for you .. get down there .. in years to come you might be able to say 'I was there at the start of the renaissance' or 'I was there at the start of the death throes' or more likely .. neither ... I hope you've had good trip back to God's favourite and most delightful country
  • I'd say keep your options open, but don't make any definite plans. Unless the Southend game is the first one under new ownership, getting tickets will be a doddle.

If Duchatelet has gone or it's confirmed that he's definitely going, then fill your boots. If the sale rumours are off, then please do your fellow Charlton fans a favour and refrain from giving him any money.
  • 4th April.
  • I'm away and will miss the 4th April PC Palmer tribute game.
    I have two season tickets (mine and a junior) if anyone wants to borrow them?
    It's be great to see a full house for that one. An eye opener for any prospective purchaser too.
  • Go, not like you have the luxury to choose games to go to. A one off £20 isn't really going to help the owners pockets.
  • ozaddick said:

I'm unexpectedly back in the motherland till April 18th, due to free fights from work bless their cottons.
    Suprising me mum last night was superb, thankfully she didn't have a bleeding heart attack!!
    So for the first time in a bloody long time, I may not get down to the valley for a game whilst I'm ere. This isn't due to other commitments, just a case of, 'am I bovered?'
    Southend at home is probably the match I'd get too if I do. What heady heights!!
    But It just seems all a bit... well shite really.
    Is it as bad as fans are saying it is on match days?
    Is watching ricky Holmes worth the 20 quid every fee?
    And giving money to that... beep beep fucking beep of an owner annoys me.
    But, I don't get the chance to do it much. And it's my team. I love my club, well what's left of it.
    To go or not to go....?

I fly in on Monday....Im going to get to all the games bar Coventry and Gillingham. Ive even re-routed my tour of France & England to get to the game on the 4th against Franchise. Surprised your'e wavering mate
  • OK, oz, you have 2 options.

a) Buy a ticket for the MKD game & join the Fanackapans and our group for a drink in Crossbars before kick off.

and/or

b) Buy a ticket for the Southend game & maybe join the Upbeats walk beforehand , and find me outside the West to give me your POTY vote.

Win, win situation ? You know you want to....

xx
  • How much are the kids tickets again?
  • I didn't when I was back, but I live nearer and probably visit more often than you. And my circumstances are somewhat complicated.
  • I didn't when I was back, but I live nearer and probably visit more often than you. And my circumstances are somewhat complicated.

You mean you're banned ?

:smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Definitely go - its your club, why shouldn't you?

I'm as anti RD as anyone, but I've been to a couple this year (admittedly the only reason for Coventry was to march and throw pigs).

I have also committed the crime of buying stuff from the club shop. My kids proudly wear their Charlton shirts to football practice and I'm proud to see them being worn 130 miles from The Valley.
  • ozaddick said:

@AFKABartram that's a great suggestion mate. I'm involved with charity work in oz, so this resonates with me. I've signed up for the walk, I look forward to the day, and meeting fellow supporters and supporting a superb cause. Cheers for the heads up.
    @TEL , that's great news fella! Be good to see you here and get a game In together!
    @Fanny Fanackapan , I'll be seeing you! X

Thanks to the rest of you for all your responses, I'll be down the valley bellowing VFR!!!

I'll be there for Franchise, Peterborough and Southend Chris, I'll pm you on FB about meeting up, Cant make Coventry or Gillingham as Im in France but will be back in blighty for Chesterfield and Swindon
  • Go !!!
    I did when I finally (after 23 years) had a chance to by arranging an unscheduled stop over when flying from Perth Western Australia to Tel Aviv a few weeks ago...
    It was more than worth it and mine was an away fixture at mighty Rochdale.
    Your love for this club is much bigger with our current troubles (albeit being hijacked by a heartless fucker....)
    Go because the supporters you will meet will strengthen your belief in the future of this club.
    And if you are anything as tough a cookie as I am you are due for a blubber at the sight of the reds warming up let alone "Wake up you sleepy"...
  • I know how you feel Ozaddick. I'm back next month, though I'm too late for the Southend game, and only have one game potentially to go to, Easter Monday v Gillingham. But on my last trip back I went, with a little reluctance, to the cup game v Scunthorpe and was treated to one of the best displays of the season. So, I almost certainly will bite the bullet and get a ticket.

Are they still charging extra for a match day purchase?
  • edited March 2017
    ozaddick said:

@AFKABartram that's a great suggestion mate. I'm involved with charity work in oz, so this resonates with me. I've signed up for the walk, I look forward to the day, and meeting fellow supporters and supporting a superb cause. Cheers for the heads up.
    @TEL , that's great news fella! Be good to see you here and get a game In together!
    @Fanny Fanackapan , I'll be seeing you! X

Thanks to the rest of you for all your responses, I'll be down the valley bellowing VFR!!! & JUST SELL THE CLOOB, OUR FAMOUS FOOTBALL CLOOB

Fixed that for you mate :smile: Enjoy !
  • Get there by midday as tickets sell out early, theres also post match dancing in Bartram's for a full match day experience
  • edited March 2017
    ads said:

Get there by midday as tickets sell out early, theres also post match dancing in Bartram's for a full match day experience

.....on the tables if he's sold by then !
  • ads said:

Get there by midday as tickets sell out early, theres also post match dancing in Bartram's for a full match day experience

is that a promise? :)
  • TEL said:

ads said:

is that a promise? :)
    Depends on how much wine is consumed.