Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

TV Installation

Hi Looking for recommendations/contact for someone to wall mount and install/set up a newly purchased TV....anyone know anyone? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Fitting the tv to the wall is usually the easy bit. Have you considered a power outlet behind the tv and exactly how you are going to run the cables from your box to the tv without them just hanging there ? Buried trunking or surface mounted. It not as straightforward as it first seems.
  • edited March 2017
    I paid a chap a lot of money to do this a few years ago (over £300) and he did it in less than two hours and his definition of 'hiding the wires' was nothing like mine. He also realised, after he started, that he needed to extend two HDMI cables and added another £50 for the cables that I could have purchased on Amazon for less than £10.

Since that debacle I have done the job myself. There is a little bit of patience needed (measure twice and drill once - as my Dad always used to say) but it is not as hard ad you might think. YouTube has some great videos that will help. Getting the TV on the wall is the big bit but it's the cable management (i.e. hiding it) that takes the time but, as I've said, the chaps that hang these professionally are not, generally, plasterers, and unless you buy the TV from them (at high profit to them) they can't make a good living without working very hard (which none of them seem to want to do) so they don't channel the walls properly.

There are kits you can buy (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a18787/how-to-hide-tv-wires/) that enable you to drill a hole behind the TV and run the cable behind the plaster board and bring it out next to the plug/Sky box etc. As long as you have a friend to help you hang the TV it shouldn't take longer than a couple of hours from start to finish.
  • edited March 2017
    Love listening to blokes who obviously ain't got a clue, talk about DIY.

"Have you considered thd power outlet behind the televisual box, may I ask?" Quality Shootie

; )
  • I paid a chap a lot of money to do this a few years ago (over £300) and he did it in less than two hours and his definition of 'hiding the wires' was nothing like mine. He also realised, after he started, that he needed to extend two HDMI cables and added another £50 for the cables that I could have purchased on Amazon for less than £10.

Since that debacle I have done the job myself. There is a little bit of patience needed (measure twice and drill once - as my Dad always used to say) but it is not as hard ad you might think. YouTube has some great videos that will help. Getting the TV on the wall is the big bit but it's the cable management (i.e. hiding it) that takes the time but, as I've said, the chaps that hang these professionally are not, generally, plasterers, and unless you buy the TV from them (at high profit to them) they can't make a good living without working very hard (which none of them seem to want to do) so they don't channel the walls properly.

There are kits you can buy (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a18787/how-to-hide-tv-wires/) that enable you to drill a hole behind the TV and run the cable behind the plaster board and bring it out next to the plug/Sky box etc. As long as you have a friend to help you hang the TV it shouldn't take longer than a couple of hours from start to finish.

£150/h does seem a bit on the steep side, even more so if you have plasterboard walls. If he couldn't get the right length cable rather than joining he weren't much of and AV installer.
    Defiantly a job to do yourself, although those American videos always look easy with their paper thick walls.
  • Mine was easy - then again I just used the stand & sat it on the TV/video cabinet.
  • edited March 2017

I paid a chap a lot of money to do this a few years ago (over £300) and he did it in less than two hours and his definition of 'hiding the wires' was nothing like mine. He also realised, after he started, that he needed to extend two HDMI cables and added another £50 for the cables that I could have purchased on Amazon for less than £10.

£150/h does seem a bit on the steep side, even more so if you have plasterboard walls. If he couldn't get the right length cable rather than joining he weren't much of and AV installer.
    Defiantly a job to do yourself, although those American videos always look easy with their paper thick walls.
    He also didn't go behind the plasterboard he drilled outside of the house and tacked the cables on the outside wall and then drilled through the brick back into the house behind the TV. He also cut the TV cable and attached it in such a way that when we moved house I had to buy new HDMI cables and a new power cable for the TV.

Needless to say I didn't recommend this chap to anyone else.
  • I paid a chap a lot of money to do this a few years ago (over £300) and he did it in less than two hours and his definition of 'hiding the wires' was nothing like mine. He also realised, after he started, that he needed to extend two HDMI cables and added another £50 for the cables that I could have purchased on Amazon for less than £10.

I agree that hiding the cables and power supply can be difficult. In my previous Victorian house, best place I thought was putting it on the chimney brest BUT beware that the fireproof bricks there are a bugger to channel through! Would not do that again in a hurry.
  • Thanks for all the tips gents ...but am hopeless at anything DIY ...purpose of post was to ask if anyone could help with recommending someone who installs TV's
  • erithalf said:

Thanks for all the tips gents ...but am hopeless at anything DIY ...purpose of post was to ask if anyone could help with recommending someone who installs TV's

John Lewis amongst others will do it but it depends on the level of finish and how much you are willing to pay.

The bit I don't understand is why you think you are hopeless. Give it a go and if you cock it up, so what? Have another go. There are only 4 fixings on a brackets, it cant go that wrong.
  • Quite an easy thing to do, although feeding the cables through the wall was a bitch. Being the idiot that I am I also fed 2 SCART cables through for the VCR and Dreamcast. :sunglasses:
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2017

erithalf said:

Thanks for all the tips gents ...but am hopeless at anything DIY ...purpose of post was to ask if anyone could help with recommending someone who installs TV's

Ha it's Charlton Life...guaranteed 30 pages of answers about everything bar the actual question asked!

"Need an MOT on my car. Please can anyone recommend a good garage local to Charlton? Thanks". Cue..."There's a blinding little ship restorers down in Plymouth that we walked past on holiday in 1987 and had a good chat with the bloke running it. Tell him Charlton John recommended him and he'll see you right"

;-)
    Does anyone know any good ship restorers in Plymouth?
  • edited March 2017
    Mrkinski said:

erithalf said:

Ha it's Charlton Life...guaranteed 30 pages of answers about everything bar the actual question asked!

"Need an MOT on my car. Please can anyone recommend a good garage local to Charlton? Thanks". Cue..."There's a blinding little ship restorers down in Plymouth that we walked past on holiday in 1987 and had a good chat with the bloke running it. Tell him Charlton John recommended him and he'll see you right"

;-)
    Does anyone know any good ship restorers in Plymouth,
    No but Sevenoaks Sound are great for selling and installing flat screen TVs. The only issue is that installation is likely to cost more than the TV itself, Is that any good for you?
  • Failing that go to Richer Sounds as they have people that install stuff. Normally they only install what they sell but as they use outside contractors (I think) they might be kind enough to give you a number.

http://www.richersounds.com/information/installations
  • edited March 2017

Love listening to blokes who obviously ain't got a clue, talk about DIY.

"Have you considered thd power outlet behind the televisual box, may I ask?" Quality Shootie

; )

Well my DIY skills only run to having built an extension, re roofed a house, plumbing, electrics, and plastering but I take your point. ;0)

• Love listening to blokes who obviously ain't got a clue, talk about DIY.

; )

Well my DIY skills only run to having built an extension, re roofed a house, plumbing, electrics, and plastering but I take your point. ;0)

So you're saying you've never wall hung a flat screen tv then?
  • Get one of these - even a girl can hang it (as long as there is a bloke to supervise of course)

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled/q_style_space/

• bbob said:

Get one of these - even a girl can hang it (as long as there is a bloke to supervise of course)

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled/q_style_space/

Madness, women with power tools and tellys. Never in the real world.