Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travel Advice...(Tourism and pleasure)

I will be going the US in a month or so. I have a rough Idea of what I will be doing and where I will be going etc. California, Vagas, san diego, texas, Miami. The hot spots that I have been advised to see.

I will be on a budget and want to take money home with me so I really do not want to spend unnecessarily on things I may not actually need. No money coming in too as will not be working. Whatever I spend, is leaving me.
Obviously, as you would, I want to have a good re memorable time but hopefully at the right price and make it worthwhile. You gotta be realistic though.

The eventual end game.... out the states is to fly to south America and visit the likes of Columbia, Argentina, Bolivia.

Ive looked online and to my frustration and confusion. I have read sources that tell me I do not need a visa upon entry for Bolivia. Then, somewhere else tells me that I do.

After that, I wanted to go dirt cheap and live in Indonesia for a while. Bali, Cambodia, Vietnam. For however long for, I have no idea. I like the idea of just doing F*ck all on a nice beach somewhere and not really paying that much for it. (Don't we all)

I have the same problem with that.

I read UK passport holders do not need visas to enter, then elsewhere I read that us Brits do need them. For some reason, I find this stressful. I like things to be very simple and direct.

I will be starting my official travels in Canada (already ere) but I will actually be seeing a decent part. Banff, Jasper, Rocky mountains. Vancouver.

This is going to make me sound like a whiny twat but planning this comes with a headache.

Ive worked hard to get this fund so I can do these things but my brain is like a very unorganized desk full of messy paperwork.

Im completely on my Laz doing this trip, so proceeding with caution is one of the things on my mind.

A thread for people to spread any advice on travels as a whole contribution to its readers.

I hope this may also help others out too who maybe in a similar-ish position.

Any tips, much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• For visas check fco.gov.uk
  • https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/bolivia/entry-requirements

Bolivia was easy when I went in 2010. Indonesia I got a visa on arrival ($25). Just use the UK Gov website.
  • Indonesia is no problem, on arrival, done it many times.
  • edited March 2017
    Re: Travelling to the USA, best page including whether you can enter using the Visa Waiver Programme or whether you need a full Visa:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/entry-requirements

Most important thing is to apply for the VWP early, you cannot do it just before you travel or you may be denied entry.

Otherwise, good luck. There are quite a few websites, usually aimed at 'backpackers' or gap year students that give you good summaries of different routes and each country's requirements and any helpful advice.
  • Don't remember needing a visa for Bolivia when I went in 2014. If I did it was no big deal.

What you might wanna think about is your flight from US to S. America especially Colombia. When my mate did that with a one way flight they made him buy a return before they would let him board the plane. Not sure what the solution is but might be worth researching.
  • Went to Bolivia last year. You don't need to do anything in advance in terms of visas. Also, you get the pleasure of walking straight through whilst the Yanks all have to queue up for the right to hand over $150 in pristine notes.

Didn't have to arrange anything in advance to get into Brazil, Peru or Ecuador either.

South America's a great continent. Felt much safer over there than I do walking around London, and the birds are lovely!
  • Cheers for info. Sounds pretty positive!

Yes I need to crack on with the visa waiver thing. Got the link just gotta fill it out ASAP.
    Job for tomorrow.
  • My mate in Canada told me in vagas you can blow up an empty bus with a rocket launcher for 1,500.
    Anyone aware of or experienced this?

Vagas sounds bit mad. Maybe rather rich for my blood.
  • I know you haven't mentioned it but recommend Brazil particularly rio.

Where u going in Texas? We're going on the way to Mexico this year. We're thinking Austin and San Antonio. Both look good.
  • Boom said:

I know you haven't mentioned it but recommend Brazil particularly rio.

Where u going in Texas? We're going on the way to Mexico this year. We're thinking Austin and San Antonio. Both look good.

Yes I was thinking Austin Texas.

Maybe Houston.

My geography of Texas is probably a bit inaccurate considering i have a vision in my mind of it being like an old Western where everyone's got a horse.

Also a revolver in their back pocket
  • Sponsored links:

• And Lucy Ewing
  • I know Wikipedia isn't 100% reliable but this is a very useful page. If you want any further advice all the info is referenced so you can check.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_British_citizens
  • Ex girlfriend was Colombian and she said its a pretty dangerous place for visitors, so be careful mate.
  • Vietnam has recently changed to visa on entry. What you may need in some Asian countries is proof of a flight out of the country you are visiting. This is certainly true of Philippines; I have a feeling Vietnam is the same.
  • If you going to tour America you might want to pop in to San Francisco and Washington DC

And if you're on a budget skip Vegas.it could ruin you unless you're disciplined.

Wouldn't go alone to Colombia for all the tea in china but Macchu Picchu in Peru would be on my to do list

For tropical climates why not consider Hawai'i. English speaking, safe and stunning sights,

Just my £0.02
  • Vietnam has recently changed to visa on entry. What you may need in some Asian countries is proof of a flight out of the country you are visiting. This is certainly true of Philippines; I have a feeling Vietnam is the same.

Best to do the Visa online prior to arrival and pick your visa up at the airport it save a lot of time. Just done mine for April visit normally takes about 10 mins (in HCMC) to pick it up.
  • edited March 2017
    Dave, as mentioned in other posts, just go to https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.

Everything you need in there: entry requirements; tourism advice; terrorism threats; risky areas etc. Great website that is obviously kept bang up to date.
  • I'd like to go to Kent for my hols but I'm not sure where it starts. Perhaps some posters can enlighten me .....
  • I'd like to go to Kent for my hols but I'm not sure where it starts. Perhaps some posters can enlighten me .....

Just east of Rye.

Take in a local sporting fixture. SE7.
  • Sponsored links:

• Most south east asian countries are visa on entry now (you do have to pay though!).

Texas is huge, so be aware of the travel time between Austin, Houston, Dallas etc, especially if you are not flying.

You are more likely to see real cowboys in Oregon/Idaho/Montana/Wyoming, while the gunslingers type are down in deserts in Arizona and New Mexico (plus western Texas).

B&B's in the States are fancy, and quite expensive, so you may be better off in Motel 6 type accom, and using Greyhound buses or hitching (if it is legal - which it isn't in some states - and you feel safe doing it). The smaller towns tend to be cheaper than the big ones and you can always try to negotiate a better rate (no guarantees). Take advantage of free breakfasts at motels so you keep food spend down during the day.

Good luck and Enjoy!
  • Fiiish said:

Re: Travelling to the USA, best page including whether you can enter using the Visa Waiver Programme or whether you need a full Visa:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/entry-requirements

Most important thing is to apply for the VWP early, you cannot do it just before you travel or you may be denied entry.

Otherwise, good luck. There are quite a few websites, usually aimed at 'backpackers' or gap year students that give you good summaries of different routes and each country's requirements and any helpful advice.

Interesting that this site says you don't need an ESTA if travelling by road/ferry from Canada to the USA.

Frankly though never underestimated the stupidity/obstructive nature of the good old US immigration officials*. Just to be on the safe side I'd get one anyway and print a copy off. They are only $14 and are good for two years.

*Mrs cafcfan and I once spent a very unpleasant couple of hours in a small hot stuffy room at Miami airport all because the uniformed dimwit rubber stamp operator on the gate didn't understand what the phrase "cancelled without prejudice" meant on an old work visa in her passport.
  • My two penneth worth... Austin is a great place to spend a few days...not particularly cheap though...but some great BBQ...ask the locals when you're there, as they have pop up BBQ joints that move around the city....they also have some great food trucks...,most of the bars are on 6th street I think (or was it 3rd...dunno...sorry)... You can walk around Austin in a day though... Not sure when you're going, but there's a 3 day music festival in Oct that is good fun if you're there then... Met some people from Houston in a bar in Austin and they said not to bother with Houston, that's why they drove the 4 hours to Austin.... Have fun.

Calais.
  • All good advice, cheers.

• TEL said:

Ex girlfriend was Colombian and she said its a pretty dangerous place for visitors, so be careful mate.

Indeed. Always the risk of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can imagine quite a hostile attitude from certain people.

Get robbed, get beaten up. Do not want that.
  • Filled my US visa waiver form and paid.

Glad the arrival time in between when you fill it out and get there lasts for 2 years. Surprised it's valid for that long.

I'm someone that loves excessive amounts of food. The states sounds good from that angle.
    I remember the "Everything's bigger in Texas" quote.
    I assume they put things the size of a horse in between burger buns! Giant trucks and all that.

Will always be looking to stay in the least expensive places possible, so yeh motels much better then hotel.

I hugely disagree with how easy it is to get a gun in America. The right to bare arms. It stinks.

However, going to a shooting range does sound like an attractive side hobby I wish to have a go at.

If I go vagas, I certainly will not do any gambling.

Once your in, you don't come out. Especially after a few drinks. Sounds scary.
  • edited March 2017
    Excessive food eh? Then the Big Texas Steak Ranch (and its 72oz steak challenge) in Amarillo is for you.
    Edited to add: my favourite places in Texas: San Antonio (a great town with the Alamo), Dallas, The Big Bend National Park and for a beach, South Padre Island.
  • Check out Lonely Planet guides - online version.
  • Dave2l said:

TEL said:

Ex girlfriend was Colombian and she said its a pretty dangerous place for visitors, so be careful mate.

Indeed. Always the risk of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can imagine quite a hostile attitude from certain people.

Get robbed, get beaten up. Do not want that.
    I don't agree with this. I travelled round Colombia for 2 weeks last year and have travelled round a fair bit of the rest of south america. I know it was very bad 10 and 20 years ago but from what I saw it's way better now. Obviously in the wrong areas you could be threatened like in most of Latin America, a few dodgy looks etc but I saw nothing to feel any more threatened than I would have or was in Peru, Bolivia, Brazil. I loved Colombia and some of the locals were class. Think you'd be mad to miss it. Medellin in particular was a cracking place .