Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paypal

After receiving today what seems to be my almost bi-monthly warning to say that someone has either hacked my account or attempted to hack my account with Paypal (which has zero in it, and has always had zero in it) - this doesnt fill me with confidence about ever using Paypal.

Comments

• Really; I have never had a warning from PayPal about attempted hacking, do you have easy to replicate passwords?
  • edited March 2017
    Are you sure it's a genuine email from PayPal. Could be a phishing email? In fact, it probably is.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/paypal-email-scam-attempts-dupe-9188244.amp
  • It's a phishing scam most likely, as it goes my mum runs more or less 3 emails "from Apple" a week, which, if you view the email address it was sent from, you realise is not a legitimate apple email...
  • MarkyE83 said:

Are you sure it's a genuine email from PayPal. Could be a phishing email?

This. Numerous Paypal phishing emails out there. I use Paypal regularly most months and have done for years and never had any problems. On saying that, problems are apparently common and Paypal are dreadful at dealing with them.
  • Do not respond or click on any link , they are scams. I had one yesterday supposedly from HMRC saying I had a tax rebate and just had to click a link to receive it. Sent it to HMRC and they confirmed it was a scam
  • Sounds like a phishing scam. My wife got one a few months ago and it was from a dodgy email address (it looks like a real PayPal address until you open the message details further).

Otherwise contact PayPal directly and ask if these emails are genuine and if you need to do anything to secure your account?
  • Yup. Definite phishing.

If you look st the sending email address it will almost certainly be moody.
  • Do not respond or click on any link , they are scams. I had one yesterday supposedly from HMRC saying I had a tax rebate and just had to click a link to receive it. Sent it to HMRC and they confirmed it was a scam

Yep got the HMRC one last week with my email address no name on it .
    Also received an Amazon one with no name
    and regular Apple one again no name

also if you hover over the address you'll see a waffly one nothing to do with the firm itself , although I have been told some scams have similar addresses just a little different but all the scamming ones I've had are a load of numbers
  • edited March 2017
    Fiiish said:

Sounds like a phishing scam. My wife got one a few months ago and it was from a dodgy email address (it looks like a real PayPal address until you open the message details further).

Otherwise contact PayPal directly and ask if these emails are genuine and if you need to do anything to secure your account?

Have you ever tried contacting Paypal directly? Its not as if you can go down their branch and start shouting at them.
  • Sponsored links:

• The fact that your Paypal account has nothing in it does not mean that you are not at risk. Presumably it is linked to your current account or debit/credit card for the purpose of making purchases. If your account is hacked these bome vulnerable. As said above, are you sure this is from Paypal and not phishing. I have used Paypal for several years without problem and believe it to be much safer than giving card details online.
  • Never had a problem with PayPal. I do have a long & complicated password though. Maybe that helps.

If I am not sure about any contact from a company, I don't use the email link but make sure of the official address & type in the exact address in the search address title space at top of page. Not an expert at all.

My email collects lots of spam claiming to be from PayPal though, along with notices about Barclays, NatWest, Amazon & lots of other accounts I don't have. It is a bit of Phising.
  • edited March 2017

Fiiish said:

Sounds like a phishing scam. My wife got one a few months ago and it was from a dodgy email address (it looks like a real PayPal address until you open the message details further).

Have you ever tried contacting Paypal directly? Its not as if you can go down their branch and start shouting at them.
    Their UK phone number is in their Help section on their official website. I don't think my suggestion was entirely unreasonable.
  • Have you ever rung it
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Their UK phone number is in their Help section on their official website. I don't think my suggestion was entirely unreasonable.
    Have you ever rung it?
  • edited March 2017

Have you ever rung it

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Have you ever rung it?
    I know people who have. They also offer a secure messaging service, I imagine they will respond within 48 hours.
  • edited March 2017
    Fiiish said:

Have you ever rung it

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Have you ever rung it?
    I know people who have. They also offer a secure messaging service, I imagine they will respond within 48 hours.
    If you know people who have , how can you *imagine* a response within 48 hours ?
    To me , it just smacks of all these companies like Amazon,Easyjet,Eurotunnel,Ryanair
    that once theyve got your dosh , then customer service is totally out the window - 'you want your money back?' - wow , well that means having to fill out 10 forms, speak to our Indian call centre for 2 hours (by which time you get cut off anyway), fill out another 10 forms, and then we'll send you a cheque, maybe, in 6 months.
    They can take your money in a nano second, but, boy, getting it back !
    Whereas, i normally end up (when a bank is concerned) going down the local branch, start shouting at people, and refusing to leave until its sorted - it normally works.
  • So have you actually tried contacting them? And if you have and you don't like their customer service, why use them?

Why open a thread then piss and moan when people offer advice?
  • edited March 2017
    Fiiish said:

So have you actually tried contacting them? And if you have and you don't like their customer service, why use them?

Why open a thread then piss and moan when people offer advice?

I dont use them.I'm trying to explore other peoples reasons FOR using them.
    And i'm not 'pissing and moaning' - its all intenation.

Anyway, is your name really Phiiish ?!
  • edited March 2017
    Almost everyone has a PayPal. So these scammers just send out bulk emails under the pretense of being PayPal trying to get you to enter you details into their own website and they hack you that way. It's nothing new and shouldn't put you off using PayPal.

If you trawl through any junk email folder you'll find these phishing emails that claim to be from PayPal, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, BT, British Gas and more. I even got one myself the other day that said they were HMRC.

Does that mean I should have less confidence in HMRC because someone emailed me pretending to be them?
  • Almost everyone has a PayPal. So these scammers just send out bulk emails under the pretense of being PayPal trying to get you to enter you details into their own website and they hack you that way. It's nothing new and shouldn't put you off using PayPal.

If you trawl through any junk email folder you'll find these phishing emails that claim to be from PayPal, Facebook, British Gas and more. I even got one myself the other day that said they were HMRC.

Does that mean I should have less confidence in HMRC because someone emailed me pretending to be them?

OK, good point Callum.
  • Sponsored links:

• After receiving today what seems to be my almost bi-monthly warning to say that someone has either hacked my account or attempted to hack my account with Paypal (which has zero in it, and has always had zero in it) - this doesnt fill me with confidence about ever using Paypal.

Get them weekly ... not genuine

Yup, had a few of these but total scam.
  • stonemuse said:

After receiving today what seems to be my almost bi-monthly warning to say that someone has either hacked my account or attempted to hack my account with Paypal (which has zero in it, and has always had zero in it) - this doesnt fill me with confidence about ever using Paypal.

The thing is, i dont get phishing emails purporting to be from my bank to say my account has been hacked - why only from Paypal?
  • stonemuse said:

The thing is, i dont get phishing emails purporting to be from my bank to say my account has been hacked - why only from Paypal?
    I have recently received emails from Santander, Barclays and Halifax ...except they are not.
  • I also receive emails from the Nigerian Royal Family as well as people claiming to have made spectacular advances in the field of urology...
  • Fiiish said:

I also receive emails from the Nigerian Royal Family as well as people claiming to have made spectacular advances in the field of urology...

Blimey, we must be related, I get the same.

:wink:
  • I have used paypal for years and never had a problem, I have had a few queries and called them and found them helpful and polite.

Banks or any other money organisation will never email you relating to a problem with your account. If you receive any such emails delete them.
  • Have you ever rung it

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Have you ever rung it?
    I've rung it quite a few times. If you just keep saying operator the automated bloke can't take the pressure and puts you through to a human.
  • vff said:

Never had a problem with PayPal. I do have a long & complicated password though. Maybe that helps.

If I am not sure about any contact from a company, I don't use the email link but make sure of the official address & type in the exact address in the search address title space at top of page. Not an expert at all.

My email collects lots of spam claiming to be from PayPal though, along with notices about Barclays, NatWest, Amazon & lots of other accounts I don't have. It is a bit of Phising.

Passwords. What is the best way to set one. Totally random letters and figures. So you have to write it down or store it on an email.
    Or something you can remember that isn't too obvious.
  • edited March 2017
    iainment said:

vff said:

Never had a problem with PayPal. I do have a long & complicated password though. Maybe that helps.

Passwords. What is the best way to set one. Totally random letters and figures. So you have to write it down or store it on an email.
    Or something you can remember that isn't too obvious.