Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The last ever greyhound meeting in London/Wimbledon Saturday 25th March

Comments

• Used to really enjoy the dogs at old Womboley and Walthamstow. Nowadays knowing how the industry looks after the dogs, and Wimbledon getting their footy stadium back it's a good thing this one closing.
  • Yes so AFC Wimbledon can go back home, to the home that never was ! Getting their stadium back ? Greyhounds have been at the stadium since 1928, I must have missed the bit where Wimbledon played football there. Equally the motor sport that has been at the stadium for years will cease.

If we move from the Vally and play in Makros car park will that be Charlton returning home ?
  • I use to go to Charlton and New Cross back in the day
  • I now live just up the road from this, to be honest the place is a shithole and needs a really good refurb, I'm glad Wimbledon are returning to their spiritual home.

Yes so AFC Wimbledon can go back home, to the home that never was ! Getting their stadium back ? Greyhounds have been at the stadium since 1928, I must have missed the bit where Wimbledon played football there. Equally the motor sport that has been at the stadium for years will cease.

If we move from the Vally and play in Makros car park will that be Charlton returning home ?

If Greenwich council had their way and they tore down the valley back in the 80s then yeah you would see it as returning home.
  • I now live just up the road from this, to be honest the place is a shithole and needs a really good refurb, I'm glad Wimbledon are returning to their spiritual home.

Yes so AFC Wimbledon can go back home, to the home that never was ! Getting their stadium back ? Greyhounds have been at the stadium since 1928, I must have missed the bit where Wimbledon played football there. Equally the motor sport that has been at the stadium for years will cease.

If Greenwich council had their way and they tore down the valley back in the 80s then yeah you would see it as returning home.
    The extra traffic this is going to bring to Plough Lane is going to be a nightmare and if it starts causing issues for ambulances getting to St George's then they can probably kiss goodbye to expanding the stadium. It might have to remain a tiny club or move out of the area again.
  • Ahem... Crayford
  • Really not sure I understand why there has been such a pull back in greyhound racing in the last ten years or so at a time when gambling has seen such a rise?

Anyone have an explanation?
  • edited March 2017

Really not sure I understand why there has been such a pull back in greyhound racing in the last ten years or so at a time when gambling has seen such a rise?

Anyone have an explanation?

I would wager (no pun intended) that the rise in gambling is thanks to the instant nature of online gambling, FOBTs and betting shops popping up in abandoned high street stores where you would once see a Woolworths or similar, as opposed to people actually attending events and betting on them. People are also going out less and prices are going up. Stadiums sit on precious land, especially in London, and sometimes a company needs to decide when it is more profitable to sell the land than it is to continue running it.

I also think that it is decreasingly popular with younger generations. Animal welfare issues come to mind, which younger, more progressive types will be more acutely aware of (the idea of a working dog, as opposed to a pet to be mollycoddled and spoiled, is an increasingly alien concept to millennials).
  • Ahem... Crayford

Ahem, Crayford is not in London.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2017
    Stadium Way, Crayford, Dartford, Kent, DA1 4HR.

Christ, we'll have Riviera on here soon, telling us that Charlton are in East London :wink:
  • Stadium Way, Crayford, Dartford, Kent, DA1 4HR.

Christ, we'll have Riviera on here soon, telling us that Charlton are in East London :wink:

It's in the LONDON Borough of Bexley - clue is in the title.........

Postcode has zero to do with it

I disagree, but each to their own.

I disagree, but each to their own.
  • I go by postcode. As I said, each to their own.
  • Check the London Borough of Bexley website
  • edited March 2017
    "Travelling to London"? QED. :wink:

• The extra traffic this is going to bring to Plough Lane is going to be a nightmare and if it starts causing issues for ambulances getting to St George's then they can probably kiss goodbye to expanding the stadium. It might have to remain a tiny club or move out of the area again.

Don't see it as any more traffic than blackshaw road has to deal with every rush hour and the ambulances can deal with that just fine.

There are also good transport links to the ground and imagine a lot of people will get train, tube, bus etc so think the transport thing is being over played.

As a resident of earlsfield I am happy to see them moving back there, that part of of the area all around summers town in disgusting.

• "Travelling to London"? QED. :wink:

Nah - Bexley is a London Borough - part of Greater London - just because the Post Office use a DA code for Crayford doesn't magically transport it back into Kent !!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Just hope the Bromley mafia don't see this thread.
  • edited March 2017

"Travelling to London"? QED. :wink:

Nah - Bexley is a London Borough - part of Greater London - just because the Post Office use a DA code for Crayford doesn't magically transport it back into Kent !!!!
    Well according to you it got magically transported into London when the Borough of Bexley was founded in 1965... Did the magic finish after then? :smiley:

Well according to you it got magically transported into London when the Borough of Bexley was founded in 1965... Did the magic finish after then? :smiley:

Ok - if I said to you Thamesmead was in London you would agree with me - yes ?

Crayford and Thamesmead are both part of Bexley Borough........

QED
  • I go by postcode. As I said, each to their own.

Well, that could lead you astray. I've family and friends that live in Suffolk but have a Colchester postcode.

There is of course, also Romford dogs in the London Borough of Havering.

QED
    Oh - and Thamesmead uses. DA postcode as well !!!
  • @Covered End delete London from the title of the thread and we can get back to discussing greyhounds!

QED
    You answer my question, I'll answer yours. :wink:

Interestingly Thamesmead as a London postcode - SE28 - was a later addition (funny how conversations like this teach you stuff when researching), carved out of SE2 and SE18. Also discovered that the original London postcodes are 100 years old this year.

I will answer your question, BTW. As I have already stated, my position is that London has London postcodes, I have not said you are wrong, I said each to their own. As a former Bromley resident, I lived in Penge, which had a London postcode. My in-laws live in Biggin Hill, which has a Tonbridge postcode. As far as I am concerned, I lived in London, they lived in Kent. In fact, the people across the road from the end of my street lived in Kent, as they had a BR postcode...
  • cafcfan said:

I go by postcode. As I said, each to their own.

Well, that could lead you astray. I've family and friends that live in Suffolk but have a Colchester postcode.

There is of course, also Romford dogs in the London Borough of Havering.
    The TN postcode covers Sussex and a tiny bit of Surrey too. I only apply my criteria to London.

• The extra traffic this is going to bring to Plough Lane is going to be a nightmare and if it starts causing issues for ambulances getting to St George's then they can probably kiss goodbye to expanding the stadium. It might have to remain a tiny club or move out of the area again.

Don't see it as any more traffic than blackshaw road has to deal with every rush hour and the ambulances can deal with that just fine.

There are also good transport links to the ground and imagine a lot of people will get train, tube, bus etc so think the transport thing is being over played.

As a resident of earlsfield I am happy to see them moving back there, that part of of the area all around summers town in disgusting.

There will be the residents of 600 homes and and up to 11,000 football fans added to the traffic and general mix of movement in Plough Lane, Blackshaw Road and Summerstown pre and, in particular, post match. I think people have underestimated the potential for a knock-on gridlock this will cause. Other than Haydons Road station, those good transport links for that stadium that you refer to will only be accessible by the 'fit' willing to hike to Earlsfield, Wimbledon or Tooting Broadway stations, which given that most of the local pubs in that area around the stadium have long closed down might be what will be the preferred choice for most fans anyway. A thousand or more football fans passing through or stopping to drink in Earlsfied on a regular basis might change your mind about being happy to see AFC Wimbledon back at Plough Lane.
  • edited March 2017
    Matchday parking restrictions to beyond Earlsfield, Wimbledon and Tooting Broadway would surely negate a lot of that problem?