Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shaun Newton wanted by police

Comments

• Swisdom said:

I really don't think I will ever understand the mentality of some fooballers. They seem to think they are above the law so frequently.

Shaun was involved with a couple of scrapes with the law in the past too - something to do with speeding tickets and also relating to Bolivian marching powder.

I get it that some people struggle to fit in to normal society after having a career of ridiculous wealth and, presumably, a few debauched nights out here and there - but I just don't understand why so many fall so far from reality

I reckon he probably missed the boat a little in terms of earning serious money from the game, that being said absolutely no reason to solitary a horrible crime like burglary if that is indeed the case.
  • Does it say if it is domestic or commercial burglary?

Neither are very pleasant but really hope he hasn't fallen so far that he is breaking into people's houses
  • I would've thought he'd be relatively well off with the moves to West Ham, Leicester and Wolves. Is he skint or is this about knocking around with the wrong crowd?
  • He looks dreadful in that photo. Give yourself up and get help.
  • Got done for Cocaine at Wet Spam.

It's an expensive habit, IF still hooked...
  • Sponsored links:

• His old kit and medals were for sale on Ebay as the museum bought some of them. I think it was his medal that someone was asking £1k for. Daylight robbery.

Very good article in the voice of former addicks with criminal records
  • What a pity it's come to that for him.
  • Can't understand how you go from being a professional footballer to being so desperate that you need to turn to crime. Burglary is down there with the lowest of the lows. A real shame as he was part of our club during some of the brightest times. Cruel sense of irony that it runs parallel with our predicament now..

Who next ?
  • I've given up keeping tabs of the Charlton Athletic Bad Boys XI, too many to choose from these days. The way things are going it'll be more of a challenge producing an Honest Charlton XI.
  • I have to wonder what help players get from the PFA or the clubs when they retire. You hear so many stories about high profile players like Paul Gasgoigne getting help but not others.
    Clearly more could be done because surely ex-pro's like him could retrain into a new career. I know Sarracens rugby club make sure all the players have this opportunity and some get jobs in the city, others do work experience or go to college.
  • What an absolute plonker.
  • IT_Andy said:

I have to wonder what help players get from the PFA or the clubs when they retire. You hear so many stories about high profile players like Paul Gasgoigne getting help but not others.
    Clearly more could be done because surely ex-pro's like him could retrain into a new career. I know Sarracens rugby club make sure all the players have this opportunity and some get jobs in the city, others do work experience or go to college.

PFA do a hell of a lot in terms of training, counselling etc for famous and not so famous players. When you think of how many kids there are going through the professional system the law of averages means some will end up in a bad place for whatever reason but 99% don't.

Just look at Newton's team mates from his Charlton days. Other than Rufus all seem to have kept to the straight and narrow IIRC
  • Sponsored links:

• Spanish said:

Can't understand how you go from being a professional footballer to being so desperate that you need to turn to crime. Burglary is down there with the lowest of the lows. A real shame as he was part of our club during some of the brightest times. Cruel sense of irony that it runs parallel with our predicament now..

Who next ?

Well at least he potentially has a powder habit to blame, did Steve Jones have an excuse ?
  • Not saying that I really have any sympathy for a lot of them, but it really really would kill me inside if I was a fantastic footballer whose career ended, or even ended just after big money became a thing in football... I would be completely gutted that were I born a few years later I would be worth an absolute fortune.

Can you think of any other job that has had such a huge wage inflation? Serious question (some jokes allowed though!)
  • Huskaris said:

Not saying that I really have any sympathy for a lot of them, but it really really would kill me inside if I was a fantastic footballer whose career ended, or even ended just after big money became a thing in football... I would be completely gutted that were I born a few years later I would be worth an absolute fortune.

Can you think of any other job that has had such a huge wage inflation? Serious question (some jokes allowed though!)

Prostitution.
  • Sad, during the 90s our academy produced some great players, but a disappointing number of them with personal "issues"

Rufus, Newton, Bowyer, Jamie Stuart, Dean Chandler
  • Used to play for the same Sunday team as him when we were about 12 - And then against him A few years later. Basically, we just used to give him the ball and he would win the game on his own. He would regularly score 4 or more in games. One of my favourite moments was seeing him fly past an oppo defender, the defender couldn't be arsed to chase him, so picked up a pile of mud and launched it straight at the back of Sean's head.

He was absolutely brain dead back then as well.

Shame he's gone down the wrong path.

Probably the mud that did it...
  • Huskaris said:

Not saying that I really have any sympathy for a lot of them, but it really really would kill me inside if I was a fantastic footballer whose career ended, or even ended just after big money became a thing in football... I would be completely gutted that were I born a few years later I would be worth an absolute fortune.

I know what you're saying but he had a decent length career and only quit less than 10 years ago and played all of his football in the top two divisions and had several moves from which he would have earned.

If he wasn't able to set himself up for life after that I don't think it would make any difference whatsoever how much he earned a few years later..
  • IT_Andy said:

I have to wonder what help players get from the PFA or the clubs when they retire. You hear so many stories about high profile players like Paul Gasgoigne getting help but not others.

PFA do a hell of a lot in terms of training, counselling etc for famous and not so famous players. When you think of how many kids there are going through the professional system the law of averages means some will end up in a bad place for whatever reason but 99% don't.

Just look at Newton's team mates from his Charlton days. Other than Rufus all seem to have kept to the straight and narrow IIRC
    Steve Jones?