Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Black Prince ...A2.....any memories..

Funny how things just flash into you head when you stopped outside Lond Bridge waiting for thetrain to find a platform......dont know why but thought of Black Prince ..when younger the family would walk to it down Gravel Hill and just walk across the A2....now not that old that it was mud track but must be 65-69 ish so guess just like a B road today....well i can rememebr drinking in garden..garden had i think childrens bar with thatched roof...( think burnt down )....also had picture taken with those liitle monkey on you shoulder.......car park use to fill up with bikes...and bands sometimes...just seemed to a young child a holiday type pub,,,..was it real like that our like most things time has put a more happy spin to things.....

Comments

• My dad used to take me & my brothers there in the late 70's when it was a Country & Western night on a friday I think.
  • Ah The Black Prince - met a little bird there at one of their discos and sh@gged it in the telephone box up the road - memories indeed! (I can only just fit in a telephone box on my own now!)

Went to Hurstmere School in those days 1964 - 69 (best football team in the district for years) anyone else go there?
  • I think it's disgusting that it is no longer the Black Prince. Pub names should be protected as they are part of history and landmarks. Some corporation comes along buys it out and all of a suddden it's holiday inn or what ever.

Rant over.
  • Saw some great bands there!

I remember seeing Eric Clapton there when he launched himself as Derek and the Dominos - they were lobbing pop-art badges into the audience with `Derek is Eric' on them. I had that for years but don't know where it is now - might be worth something I guess.

Mott the Hoople were another one I remember!
  • I used to go to the Black Prince 1971-72 as an under age drinker to see bands like Slade (before they were famous and still a skinhead band), Manfred Mann's Earth Band and the fantastic, legendary .......Pink Fairies, with their 2 drummers, unheard of at the time.

In those days, the A2 was a 3 lane 'fast road' - one lane in each direction plus the 'suicide' lane in the centre.

A bit further up in Welling where I lived, it was called the Rochester Way and had a policeman to stop the traffic at school times, to let the kids cross to the other side. Imagine that today?
  • My Dad always used to pull in there for just one more pint on our way back from Kent games at Canterbury in the 70's.
    Souless corporate hostel these days.
  • My dad saw 'a black left handed guitar player' in there in the 60's. "Bloody useless" was his review, Jimi Hendrix was his name. (not my dad, the guitarist!!)
  • Grab a Granny nite on a Sunday. I was about 22 and there was these "grannys" there of vast age like 35 ! Some long " walk backs" from there. Didnt know what a "toy boy" was just new it would be game on. What fun !
  • [cite]Posted By: millaphile[/cite]I think it's disgusting that it is no longer the Black Prince. Pub names should be protected as they are part of history and landmarks. Some corporation comes along buys it out and all of a suddden it's holiday inn or what ever.

Rant over.
    Spot on. I only noticed the lack of the name on the place a couple of weeks back and couldn't believe it. Same goes for the Anchor in Hope. Let's hope both go the same way as The Fox Under the Hill and normal service is resumed in the near future.

The Woodman in Blackfen is a different case altogether however...there are times when only a name change will do!!!
  • The Blacheath Society fought the renaming of the Three Tuns in Blackheath . They lost. Its now Oneals.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]The Blacheath Society fought the renaming of the Three Tuns in Blackheath . They lost. Its now Oneals.

What ever happened to the luton van with the giant pigeon painted on the side that was always parked outside there???
  • I know we're not allowed now to post about music but I haven't read AFKA's post yet - and this might just creep in under the radar ;o)

Anybody else remember the Pink Fairies .......?

I thought they were tremendous at the time, sort of pre-punk, loads of energy, 2 drummers, brilliant!
  • And on the subject of weird local icons, how about the oversized glasses in the window on Shooters Hill Road near Old Dover Road, they have been there 30+ years surely, remember them as a kid
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]The Blacheath Society fought the renaming of the Three Tuns in Blackheath . They lost. Its now Oneals.

What ever happened to the luton van with the giant pigeon painted on the side that was always parked outside there???

It got a 30 point endorsement
  • White Van Man in Blackheath ????? surely some mistake.
  • the last time i was in there was on a weekday afternoon sat in that hotel bar with some friends that were visiting... some bloke walked in wearing suit trousers and white shirt. Underneath the shirt he was wearing a bra and under his trousers he was wearing open toed women's sandals with tights.

couldnt stop staring!
  • was that the first time u met AFKA then Curb-It ?
  • lol! i would say he was a fair few years older than afka. talking about 5 years ago id say and in his 50's then. anyone on here?
  • yes age range is all wrong although the outfit sounded like him. Must have beeen BFR , did he tell you why u were in the pub although u didnt ask him ? if so must have been BFR.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I know we're not allowed now to post about music but I haven't read AFKA's post yet - and this might just creep in under the radar ;o)

Anybody else remember thePink Fairies.......?

I thought they were tremendous at the time, sort of pre-punk, loads of energy, 2 drummers, brilliant!

Yeah, I remember them, saw them down Woolwich Poly once and still have one of their albums somewhere. They also had a few tracks on the 1st Glastonbury Fayre album. Drummer was called Twink as far as I recall. Don't know what I'd think of them these days but I liked them at the time. Only track I can remember at the moment is Well, Well, Well.
  • Sponsored links:

• in loft with vinyl.......one of the early stiff single think something like *on the lines / Track * yes good sound for then........
  • I used to own a Pink Fairies LP. I'm sure it was called "What A Bunch Of Sweeties", or something similar. I used to love it. That was a long, long time ago though.
  • Used to work there as a pot boy in the mis seventies, lucky me!! was only 15 so disco night with DJ Tony who had a glass or wonky eye as I remember was great.
    Went to school with the governors son andy corbidge, the old man was right miserable :-(
    Remember big bouncer called Harry (not Harry the Hatchet) was a top bloke, got a real bad slap one night, scared the poo out of me, claret all over the place.. Juke box was in the other bar.
    Never got a shag in the phone box thou...lol
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I know we're not allowed now to post about music but I haven't read AFKA's post yet - and this might just creep in under the radar ;o)

Anybody else remember thePink Fairies.......?

Yeah, I remember them, saw them down Woolwich Poly once and still have one of their albums somewhere. They also had a few tracks on the 1st Glastonbury Fayre album. Drummer was called Twink as far as I recall. Don't know what I'd think of them these days but I liked them at the time. Only track I can remember at the moment is Well, Well, Well.

I've got the album 'NeverNeverland' in somewhere in the loft ........but meantime here's a track off that album I found on Youtube:

Pink Faires - Do it!

All you old gits out there ..... enjoy!
  • Here's another:

Let the fun begin

I'd better get some work done lol
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]The Blacheath Society fought the renaming of the Three Tuns in Blackheath . They lost. Its now Oneals.

The fella who owned it, died and his family sold it along with his shop.

I virtually lived in the Three Tuns between 1976 and 1988. When the landlord retired in 1988, it wasn't the same. It lost its soul.