Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2024: Tournament to be held in Germany or Turkey (definitely Germany)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39211428

An interesting choice, the safe option in Germany, or the riskier but more imaginative one in Turkey. I wonder if political considerations will also play a part, Erdogan is a negative, but giving the games to Germany might push Turkey ever further from Europe...

Comments

• Aren't there games being played in Germany in Euro 2020?
  • Aren't there games being played in Germany in Euro 2020?

There are games being played all over Europe, so it would be harsh to rule Germany out on that basis. 1988 was the last time they held the Euros, so it would be a 36 year gap
  • Surprised we didn't bid in a way, considering we've ruled out a World Cup bid at the moment.
  • I was working in Frankfurt during the 2006 World Cup in Germany and it was a great occasion, superbly run with lots of fan facilities.
  • Personally I hope it goes to Turkey but alas, I doubt it'l affect me one way or another
  • Surprised we didn't bid in a way, considering we've ruled out a World Cup bid at the moment.

We have the final and semis for Euro2020, so I guess that rules us out?

We've also had the Champions League final a couple of times recently, had Euro 96 which was more recent than the Germans and had a failed world cup bid. Let's be honest we've had our share of major footballing events
  • I actually think either we would be great.
  • sam3110 said:

Surprised we didn't bid in a way, considering we've ruled out a World Cup bid at the moment.

We've also had the Champions League final a couple of times recently, had Euro 96 which was more recent than the Germans and had a failed world cup bid. Let's be honest we've had our share of major footballing events
    Germany had the World Cup 11 years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Surprised we didn't bid in a way, considering we've ruled out a World Cup bid at the moment.

Germany had the World Cup 11 years ago.
    I guess the Euros and WC are completely different animals, with separate bidding systems

• Personally I hope it goes to Turkey but alas, I doubt it'l affect me one way or another

You scottish?
  • By 2024 there might not be enough Turkish people not locked up by the President to run a tournament.
  • Germany obviously but it's a limited and poor choice when they only had a major comp in 2006.

Our last was 10 years before that and France have had two tournaments since then too.

Spain never seem to bid - last comp in 82. I guess they can't afford it!?! Would be a great country to have a tournament.

Likewise Italy nothing since 1990 - do they even bid?

• Spain never seem to bid - last comp in 82. I guess they can't afford it!?! Would be a great country to have a tournament.

That would be superb
  • russia, multi countries, qatar, turkey.

doesnt exactly make you want to go
  • Please not Turkey
  • Going to be decided today... UEFA need their heads testing if they give it to Turkey

Shouldnt be allowed to host a Tournament until your fans stop stabbing fans from oposing countries!!
  • Germany got it
  • Germany confirmed.

Will be a good one to go to. However, I seem to be in the minority who thinks that Turkey (and Morocco in relation to World Cup 2026) meet the proper definition of developing football nations and should have been given the chance to host.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018

Personally I hope it goes to Turkey but alas, I doubt it'l affect me one way or another

Won’t is the word you were looking for!! :wink:

Won’t is the word you were looking for!! :wink:
    Racist
  • edited September 2018
    Right decision. Giving it to Turkey with their current political climate would’ve been bonkers.

With this going to Germany and 2026 WC going to the States, we might be returning to some sort of normality after the farce of Qatar 2022.
  • Wouldn't say giving it to Turkey would have been a farce though. You could argue against Russia's political climate but to be fair they hosted a superb tournament. That said I'm happy it's gone to Germany. Sun, football and German beers, winning combination.
  • Good choice - I’ll be about a thousand years old by the time this rolls around though!
  • happy with this, will def be looking to get to some games.
  • se9addick said:

Good choice - I’ll be about a thousand years old by the time this rolls around though!

You don’t look a day over 993
  • It will be superb, just as 2006 was. Hopefully Russia won't qualify, and our lot behave (which some didn't in 2006)