Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How bad at betting are you?

Comments

• I'll run anyone close for being an atrocious gambler. I have never, ever won a football accumulator and it's only since I have done lucky 63s that I even see any sort of return which most of the time is less than my stake.

I have got first goalscorer a few times when Jordan Rhodes was at Huddersfield and I'm watching Leicester city's demise with interest as I put a bet on them to go down the second they lifted the trophy last year.

Had an brilliant win a few years ago on peanuts tips for the national. The one that still angers me to this day is the first groves v froch fight. Got brilliant odds on groves to win and was laying money down weekly. Covered pretty much everything except a referee being incredibly generous. I would have won a huge amount if he had won but serves me right, bookies aren't often wrong sadly
  • I'm awful, but then I only do the national and the odd footy bet.

My national bets historically didn't even finish, my youngest seemed to have a nack of picking the winner out of the paper based on the shirt colour/style she liked best. A few years back I opened a BetVictor account as they were paying out on the first 5, £25 bet and got a £25 bet free.

Put the £25 free bet on the horse my daughter picked (£12,50 each way, i'm not silly), and it won........ 66-1!! Even I was screaming at the telly in the end.

Treated two daughters and two friends to a day at Chessington with fasttrack.
  • Up to mow done ok last 2 years. Last year stuck mainly to the Bet365 no lose offer and took c£1K profit.

This season gone with Skybet advanced accys just picking the 2 that looked like no brainers to go larger which included yesterday 4/1 on Everton, Chelsea and West Brom so about £150 up for the year.

Rarely bet more than £2 a time each week save for the above.

• Have to make clear, though I state I'm particularly rubbish at gambling, I'm STILL playing five years on with my winnings from (.thanks to Peanuts) having the 1st and 2nd in the 2012 National. So I'm not actually 'losing' money.

I've always said when that runs out I'm closing my account and not betting anymore. Now it's starting to get closer I'm not so sure

• Have to make clear, though I state I'm particularly rubbish at gambling, I'm STILL playing five years on with my winnings from (.thanks to Peanuts) having the 1st and 2nd in the 2012 National. So I'm not actually 'losing' money.

I've always said when that runs out I'm closing my account and not betting anymore. Now it's starting to get closer I'm not so sure

Did you hear back from peanuts?

• I do £10 a week on x 3 accies. Two four folds and a treble. I keep a spread sheet of outgoings and winnings and am around £200 up for the season. I won't have an online account as I am concerned that I would spiral out of control quickly.
  • edited February 2017
    I'm hoping to maintain my poor form with my 11-10 bet on Crystal Palace not being relegated......
  • I do £10 a week on x 3 accies. Two four folds and a treble. I keep a spread sheet of outgoings and winnings and am around £200 up for the season. I won't have an online account as I am concerned that I would spiral out of control quickly.

I had an online account at one time then found me betting on the next game score in a random tennis match (win to love,win to 15 etc) involving two players I didn't know in a game I couldn't watch.
  • I'm not a bad. So much so that I quit my job 9 months ago and went pro. Even though the beat the bookie thread would suggest im actually rubbish, I do quite well off the back of the football. Just got to convince the wife that this is a long time thing and that I'm not going back to my boring bank job.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm brilliant at betting. I never lose.
  • Hi Blinkant. Kudos to backing yourself. Was on a stag do with a work friend about 15 years ago and one of his mates was a pro gambler and he told me he only made between 2-5 bets a month. Be interested in what your weekly/monthly volumes would be bets wise not stake wise.
  • edited February 2017

Have to make clear, though I state I'm particularly rubbish at gambling, I'm STILL playing five years on with my winnings from (.thanks to Peanuts) having the 1st and 2nd in the 2012 National. So I'm not actually 'losing' money.

So my respect of your honesty was not quite right then then Dan, mate? You are still "ahead" like all gamblers tell me? How they manage to pay Ray to advertise their wares is an enigma, shrouded in a mystery wrapped in in a puzzle... :wink:
  • Worst bet: £1150 on All Blacks to win the WC 2007 at odds 3 (placed the bet 1 1/2 in advance).
    Best bet: £20 on Pedro Bob to win at odds 22 (Cheltenham Festival 2007)
  • MrOneLung said:

Hi Blinkant. Kudos to backing yourself. Was on a stag do with a work friend about 15 years ago and one of his mates was a pro gambler and he told me he only made between 2-5 bets a month. Be interested in what your weekly/monthly volumes would be bets wise not stake wise.

At the moment I'm around 15-20 a week. As I slowly build my pot up, I'll be able to afford to put more on each bet and so I will do less bets overall. Ideally 1 bet a week would be perfect but I'm a long way off that.

Presume the wife's had a word :wink:
  • Betting is easy. It's winning that's the tricky bit!
  • Looking back at my Bet 365 history, I've only placed 2 bets in the last 6 months.

I know I've got an appalling record over the years. Fluked £20 @ 50/1 when Spurs beat Inter Milan 3-1 with vdV scoring first in the CL all them years back but that's been about it. Only had 2 accumulators come in during the last 3-4 years. Doubt I've bet more than £1k in that time so I'm not out of pocket.

I've won more on the Premium Bonds!
  • I'm up over about 15 years, but this is largely due to bet365s risk free bet. I put £10 in in 2001 and have about 100 now. Hardly life changing.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't bet very often, but I have been playing with in-game betting this season. My tactic is a simple one. I look for games where the better/in-form team is losing by one goal with 5 to 20 minutes to go. You can get some really good odds on the scores ending up level. I also look for any extreme odds. I got 16-1 on Millwall to beat Leicester when they went down to ten men. At the moment, I am only betting 50p or £1 but I have turned £5 in £65 fairly quickly. If only it was £5000 into £65000. I am not sure if I have just been lucky or I have found a bit of a loophole. However, if I scale this up, it could be a quick way to lose money as I often bet on about 5 or more games at the same time.
  • Last month saw me lose 70, I work my month from pay day to pay day so 24th to 24th. Before that ive won atleast a hundred a month so not doing badly. This month has started £30.00 up so far
  • I have my moments but am definitely down overall.
    Only do small stakes. Do a 6 match BTTS bet each weekend, a couple of penalty in match doubles on the live weekend games, a few ew doubles on the horses during the week.
    Also look for value and a couple of weeks ago stuck a tenner on fleetwood to win the league @ 66/1. If all teams keep their respective current form (last 10 games) until the end of the season then I have them winning the league.
  • Im terrible, but lucky, because betting does not give me the rush that it does to a lot of people, so there is no way I will get addicted, and I never bet big, I've never bet more than £10 on any one bet and that was once.
    Im terrible, because I bet on about 6-7 accas (minimum 10 teams) every saturday. My acca's are on every match in every English league, up to the maximum amount allowed. So I may have 20 matches in my L1 acca (never bet on us).
    If you do this one of the odds are brilliant, I think I did on saturday and it was 175,000/1 but I never bet more than 50p on an acca.
    I have never won.....anything.
  • Very glad you reigned it in @oohaahmortimer well done mate

Fascinating to hear more @Blinkant

Do you have a particular strategy? Bet in singles, doubles, trebles? Cash out strategy? Focus on certain markets/ teams/ divisions?

would love to hear more
  • I pick 3 horses a day & do 3 singles and a trixie. Quite a bit up in the last 6 months.

I'm also in a syndicate called layezy. I was sceptical of it at 1st, but I've got a few friends in it & they got me involved.
  • I have my moments but am definitely down overall.
    Only do small stakes. Do a 6 match BTTS bet each weekend, a couple of penalty in match doubles on the live weekend games, a few ew doubles on the horses during the week.
    Also look for value and a couple of weeks ago stuck a tenner on fleetwood to win the league @ 66/1. If all teams keep their respective current form (last 10 games) until the end of the season then I have them winning the league.

Ive had Fleetwood in the majority of my bets this season; they have been fantastic. Even at the weekend they were above events to beat a Northampton at home and romped home. 66-1 fantastic odds, this week will be a big indicator of whether that will come in. Scunthorpe away. Good luck
  • I'm also terrible/unlucky.

A few years back (as my favourite example...) I had Arsenal to beat Newcastle in my accumulator and Arsenal were four up and Newcastle were down to ten men. So, I'm glued to Sky Sports news and watching the other results go my way, gradually getting more perturbed by keep hearing the commentary, "there's been another goal at St James Park....". Yes, it finished four all, so didn't even get the satisfaction of Arsenal losing. The bastards.

And just before Christmas it was looking good for a £625 return on a £5 stake only to see that Bolton could not overturn bottom of table Chesterfield. And then later hear how Bolton had peppered the Chesterfield goal with shots, hit the bar etc.

I could turn any team's season around....(except Charlton of course).
  • Can he tell us how Kent are going to do this season please.