Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Relegation Battle League 1 2017

edited February 2017 in General Charlton
Requested from the Playoff Thread. In or Out. Lest hope we're not the former.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Leuth said:

Oh, no question we're down. The real poser is: can we avoid 24th place?

Perhaps. If they extend the league to 25 between now and May :smiley:
  • Or even be the club to get relegated with the fewest defeats ever. Kind of an achievement.
  • You could draw all 46 games, 46 points may get you relegated so you're undefeated but go down.

Mind you, you never won any games either.
  • Of course it's a possibility, there's only an 8 point gap. 1 or 2 wins very soon will keep us away from the bottom 4 but if a rot sets in, anything could happen.

• can't see it myself but only a handful of bad results could see us in there. the way we've been playing it's still very much on. more realistic than play offs that's for sure.
  • Play-offs and relegation BOTH as unrealistic as each other.
  • Changes very quickly, 5 games ago thought we had a good chance of the playoffs but 3 points in those games and if the form from Tuesday continues then we'll be looking over our shoulder.
  • Play-offs and relegation BOTH as unrealistic as each other.

Why ? We're nearer the bottom 4 than the top 6 and not exactly on a good run. As others have said, things can change quickly but we need to start winning again.
    I always remember 1978 when we were challenging for promotion before Christmas but only managed to stay up on the last day of the season.

On a happier note, I remember Millwall being top at Christmas (mid 90s), buying the 2 Russians and being relegated on the last day of the season, having not been in the bottom 3 all season !
  • A step closer so far today.
  • Sponsored links:

• We are so shit it's unreal.big mouth gone by next week.
  • 7 points off the drop now.

• My worry is that we don't have physicality to compete with teams in this division. I don't think we have the desire as well. Sleep walking into a relegation battle.
  • genuine threat of this.

Portsmouth is the example and we are in the bottom three of worst run clubs in the country.

I think there is a decent chance we could really fall apart.
  • I doubt it, but if we were to lose both games this week the table may be a worry.
  • This lot could take us out of the football league
  • This lot could take us out of the football league

Give it time.

Heaved forbid the cancer is still with us in three more seasons, I am confident we'll see the fourth division.
  • think of the grounds we can visit though @ElfsborgAddick , cannot wait for advance train tickets for guiseley, ive said it before once you get down to them depths its hard to get back, looking at the conference tranmere are in there 2nd season and only look like getting playoffs this year.
  • edited February 2017
    I think we'll be ok due to the fact that there are 6 teams between us and the relegation zone.
    If it were only 2 or 3 that had to make up the points, then I think we'd be right in it.
  • If we do, im quids in.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we'll be ok due to the fact that there are 6 teams between us and the relegation zone.
    If it were only 2 or 3 that had to make up the points, then I think we'd be right in it.

I understand what you're saying, but we are so bad at the moment. A continuation of this form, with three points from six games, would put us on about 51 points and that would be touch and go. Having said that, four wins from the last thirteen games would probably see us safe.
  • I think we'll be ok due to the fact that there are 6 teams between us and the relegation zone.

I understand what you're saying, but we are so bad at the moment. A continuation of this form, with three points from six games, would put us on about 51 points and that would be touch and go. Having said that, four wins from the last thirteen games would probably see us safe.
    We've only won three of seventeen games with KR in charge and our last five games have yielded just two points.....

Be afraid.

• Two wins and a few draws will probably see us safe. In normal circumstances it would be extremely unlikely that we would go down.

BUT if something goes wrong like a bust up between the players and Robinson....

Or Robinson realises that old Roland already has a replacement lined up for the summer and decides to walk...

I think this sort of thing would be a more likely cause of relegation.
  • Do loanees really scrap when the chips are down? Do kids have the strength required to battle past League One strong men, game after game.
    Robinson may have been a disappointment, but our long term problems are down to Roland, and Roland alone. Unless he goes, the best we can hope for is to stay in League One.
  • Well Im back at the end of March so may well see our COMPLETE fall from grace.
  • Lose the next 2 with teams below us picking up points and I think the threat is a very real one. However I think 2/3 wins in the rest of the season would see us safe. Never say never though. What was it, 22 we went without a win a few years back.
  • Depends on who the interim manager is?
  • With the way we are playing 2/3 wins looks very unlikely.
  • current league table, would take us not winning another game and the clubs below us winning a lot of theres.

we also have a game in hand on the majority i think where we are now is where we will finish hardly setting the world on fire is it.

14 Charlton Athletic 33 9 15 9 40 35 5 42
    15 Milton Keynes Dons 33 11 9 13 42 41 1 42
    16 Northampton Town 34 11 7 16 50 57 -7 40
    17 Gillingham 34 9 12 13 44 53 -9 39
    18 Shrewsbury Town 34 10 8 16 35 47 -12 38
    19 Bury 34 10 7 17 51 61 -10 37
    20 Oldham Athletic 34 8 12 14 21 33 -12 36
    21 Port Vale 32 8 10 14 34 51 -17 34
    22 Swindon Town 34 8 9 17 32 48 -16 33
    23 Chesterfield 34 7 7 20 31 56 -25 28
    24 Coventry City 33 5 10 18 29 52 -23 25
  • latest odds;

chesterfield 1/25
    coventry 1/20
    swindon 4/7
    port valve 4/6
    oldham 2/1
    bury 9/4
    shrewsbury 9/2
    gills 5/1
    northampton 12/1
    afc wimbledon 66/1
    charlton 80/1
    mk dons 80/1
    walsall 250/1

no discredit to any of the teams on the list above but i didnt think 2 years ago we would be getting priced up on relegation to league 2 with those teams.