Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New laptop advice please

Would really appreciate any advice please.

I need to get a new laptop as old one knackered and on it's way out.

Just want a really basic one off the shelf in pc world or somewhere similar.
Don't really use it much for anything beyond Internet and using Microsoft office.

Have had HP compaqs last few times but don't seem to stock the models any more and are pricy for what they stock.

Budget is ideally below £250 but want a laptop rather than a tablet and really just looking for something I can get from argos or pc world etc for minimum fuss as it won't get huge use every day

Would be great if anyone has any tips or pointers

Thanks

Comments

• My Wife recently brought one of these.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-100s-11-6-laptop-red-10139239-pdt.html

Its not the quickest machine by any means (irritatingly slow actually but that could be because I've got a Solid State Hard Drive in my PC which means Window loads in seconds) yet the laptop does exactly what she wants which is browsing the internet and using Office.

If not have you thought about a Chromebook, they're only £200 in Currys.
  • edited February 2017
    My advice to make the most difference for your pound is to get your RAM upgraded to 16GB. A few companies will do this for a modest price. And at that price - look for refurbished rather than new.
  • My advice to make the most difference for your pound is to get your RAM upgraded to 16GB. A few companies will do this for a modest price. And at that price - look for refurbished rather than new.

Upgrading the hard drive to an SSD will do wonders.
  • Glovepup said:

My advice to make the most difference for your pound is to get your RAM upgraded to 16GB. A few companies will do this for a modest price. And at that price - look for refurbished rather than new.

It certainly did on my old Compaq. Undoubtedly it could still do with some more RAM too but that can wait. Above all, I'd say go for an SSD. (Even if that means buying one from ebuyer or whoever and putting it in yourself. Which is easy enough.)
  • cafcfan said:

Glovepup said:

It certainly did on my old Compaq. Undoubtedly it could still do with some more RAM too but that can wait. Above all, I'd say go for an SSD. (Even if that means buying one from ebuyer or whoever and putting it in yourself. Which is easy enough.)
    I was wondering when the first person would be along to tell him to start building stuff himself !
  • se9addick said:

cafcfan said:

Glovepup said:

I was wondering when the first person would be along to tell him to start building stuff himself !
    A common misapprehension. But it's not really building stuff at all. In its simplicity, it's more like changing a light bulb or putting a new plug on a toaster. No one's suggesting he gets his soldering iron out!
  • But a new hard drive needs uploading everything that is on the computer again also. Although a SS drive will make it much faster.
  • My advice to make the most difference for your pound is to get your RAM upgraded to 16GB. A few companies will do this for a modest price. And at that price - look for refurbished rather than new.

Question here, do you have to be using >8GB RAM to feel the benefits of having 16GB rather than 8GB?

So applications that are not using much RAM, will they perform the same whichever you have - or does more capacity make it run faster?

My thinking is that having a load of RAM on a low-spec machine, which won't be running anything remotely intensive enough to make use of all the RAM, could be a waste of money if you know you're not running 'big' programs?

Question here, do you have to be using >8GB RAM to feel the benefits of having 16GB rather than 8GB?

So applications that are not using much RAM, will they perform the same whichever you have - or does more capacity make it run faster?

My thinking is that having a load of RAM on a low-spec machine, which won't be running anything remotely intensive enough to make use of all the RAM, could be a waste of money if you know you're not running 'big' programs?
    I think you are right. My ancient compaq runs 3gb RAM and that's marginal for my use (and would be hopeless for gaming). I could spend £28 and buy 4gb or over £100 and get 16gb. But when someone's budget for a new machine is £250, spending that much on RAM seems a luxury to me.
  • edited February 2017
    I mentioned RAM because it is a relatively cheap upgrade. Its usefulness does relate to how you use your computer. Your computer operates something called virtual memory - this is basically it looking for how much memory it needs and finding somewhere to put it. Now if it can't put it in the RAM, it needs to put it temporarily on the hard drive which is much slower than RAM.

For somebody like me, it is essential as I use software such as Adobe illustrator and may have a number of different jobs open at the same time, but my e-mails are using RAM and ineternet sites which are open such as this one - even if they are in the background - everything uses RAM! Word processors are using RAM. All of these together can use up a fair bit, including some of those programs you are not using that are updating themselves etc... It really depends on how you use your computer, but basically, if you have a few things open at any given time, you want more RAM.

I have 16gb but I wouldn't reccomend anybody having less than 8gb.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2017
    Your need was the same as mine. I got an HP notebook for about £220 from ebuyer.

I've used ebuyer a couple of times and my family have had a number of HP's over many years and all were good. Free delivery.

http://www.ebuyer.com/760219-hp-chromebook-11-g5-x0n97ea-abu
  • I've got a Surface Book.. Love it. Expensive, mind. But it does the job
  • I mentioned RAM because it is a relatively cheap upgrade. Its usefulness does relate to how you use your computer. Your computer operates something called virtual memory - this is basically it looking for how much memory it needs and finding somewhere to put it. Now if it can't put it in the RAM, it needs to put it temporarily on the hard drive which is much slower than RAM.

For somebody like me, it is essential as I use software such as Adobe illustrator and may have a number of different jobs open at the same time, but my e-mails are using RAM and ineternet sites which are open such as this one - even if they are in the background - everything uses RAM! Word processors are using RAM. All of these together can use up a fair bit, including some of those programs you are not using that are updating themselves etc... It really depends on how you use your computer, but basically, if you have a few things open at any given time, you want more RAM.

I've just had a look at my task manager. There are a staggering 67 background processes running and two apps. it's still only using 55% of my paltry 3Gb RAM. But I agree that IF you are using complex software, 8gb would be a good number. In the past some anti-virus software was very hungry but I believe that's a problem that's gone away now.

It would be interesting to know what's wrong with @RodneyCharltonTrotta 's machine. If it's fairly elderly but has been upgraded to Win 10 (like mine) I'd guess there might be an incompatibility issue with some of the HP Compaq bloatware. For example I had to disable the HP Wireless Assistant which was causing massive RAM usage and even making my drive work overtime. Fast start-up is also a heavy user of RAM and is really not needed, especially if running a SSD.

It might be that he doesn't need a new machine at all.
  • This reminds me of one of those daft sketches they used to do in the two ronnies (or similar) when somebody goes up to a yokel and asks for directions and the yokel replies 'I wouldn't start from here'

The original post asked for a recommendation for a cheap laptop ffs...
  • edited February 2017
    The problem is of course - it depends on how you use your computer and what you use it for.
  • The problem is of course - it depends on how you use your computer and what you use it for.

OK, I get it now. Shame the original post didn't explain it was wanted for the internet and using Microsoft office...

Yeah but he also said his old one was knackered. In what way? It might be that there's a quick and possibly free fix which could save him the bother and expense at all. That's worth discussing isn't it?
  • Also - some of us leave a lot of windows/tabs open as we might want to go back to them. Charlton Life is usually open through the day for me to dip in and out of for instance.
  • Thanks all. Knackered because I have a toddler and drinks have been spilled over the keyboard numerous times and keys ripped off with gay abandon ;-)

Cheers for all of the insight much appreciated
  • Have a look at the refurbs at Morgan. They've got quite a few different HP models within your budget, you just need to compare the specs to see which best fits your needs: http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/413/Hewlett-Packard/
  • Sponsored links:

• Been looking for a laptop for my parents around that budget and best value does seem to be the refurbished ones. Been looking at these on Amazon and they also come with a 1 year warranty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0114TT2BI/ref=pd_aw_vtph_147_lp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QDHVPYV49KF5HX6RN7C6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MQ4UWOD/ref=pd_aw_vtph_147_tr_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B5EVXTVNQYHC4ZSP5AY2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MQ15E1E/ref=pd_aw_sbs_147_of_14?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1PG5K4A3S2Y82YDVHYV3

Different prices and spec depending what your after.
  • Glovepup said:

SSDs are less reliable than mechanical discs (counter-intuitive, I know, but that's what I read a little while ago) and more expensive, so for the money, going for maximum RAM is probably better.
  • I mentioned RAM because it is a relatively cheap upgrade. Its usefulness does relate to how you use your computer. Your computer operates something called virtual memory - this is basically it looking for how much memory it needs and finding somewhere to put it. Now if it can't put it in the RAM, it needs to put it temporarily on the hard drive which is much slower than RAM.

Especially as operating systems are getting so big.
  • Thanks all. Knackered because I have a toddler and drinks have been spilled over the keyboard numerous times and keys ripped off with gay abandon ;-)

Probably best to keep the toddler away from the new computer or you'll be back on here in six months asking the same question.
  • Been looking for a laptop for my parents around that budget and best value does seem to be the refurbished ones. Been looking at these on Amazon and they also come with a 1 year warranty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0114TT2BI/ref=pd_aw_vtph_147_lp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QDHVPYV49KF5HX6RN7C6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MQ4UWOD/ref=pd_aw_vtph_147_tr_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B5EVXTVNQYHC4ZSP5AY2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MQ15E1E/ref=pd_aw_sbs_147_of_14?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1PG5K4A3S2Y82YDVHYV3

Different prices and spec depending what your after.

They seem just the job for what Rodney needs.

Probably best to keep the toddler away from the new computer or you'll be back on here in six months asking the same question.
    Cheers
  • bit of a bump here.

Son wants to buy refurbished laptop and I want to check he can play Rainbow 6 on it.

here are the laptop specs for one he can get for £199
    Dell Latitude E7440 Laptop, 14-inch 1366x768 Anti-Glare LED-backlit Display, 4rd Generation Intel Core i5-4300U (3M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Solid State Drive, Intel HD 4400 Graphics, Wireless, 1GB Ethernet, HDMI, USB 3.0, 

here are the game requirements:
    Rainbow Six Siege system requirements
    • CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-560 3.3 GHz or AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 3.0 GHz processor.
    • GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 or AMD Radeon™ HD 5770 video card.
    • RAM: 6 GB of memory.
    • HDD: 61 GB of free space.
    • OS: Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) or higher (64-bit) operating system.
    • DirectX: 11.0 or higher.

I notice laptop has 2.910ghz and game states 3.3 ghz but I have no idea what that means.
    will the game still run on this laptop ?
  • I wish you good luck with this but in my experience both personally and with one of my grandson’s the general consensus is laptop’s struggle with today’s games unless you are spending big bucks.

I know nothing about the game Rainbow so it might not be a RAM and CPU hungry game but if it’s anything like most of the games out there a basic laptop will struggle.

Take a look on the forum on Overclockers web site, you will need to join if you want to post a question though 
  • MrOneLung said:
    bit of a bump here.

Son wants to buy refurbished laptop and I want to check he can play Rainbow 6 on it.

here are the laptop specs for one he can get for £199
    Dell Latitude E7440 Laptop, 14-inch 1366x768 Anti-Glare LED-backlit Display, 4rd Generation Intel Core i5-4300U (3M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB Solid State Drive, Intel HD 4400 Graphics, Wireless, 1GB Ethernet, HDMI, USB 3.0, 

here are the game requirements:
    Rainbow Six Siege system requirements
    • CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-560 3.3 GHz or AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 3.0 GHz processor.
    • GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 or AMD Radeon™ HD 5770 video card.
    • RAM: 6 GB of memory.
    • HDD: 61 GB of free space.
    • OS: Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) or higher (64-bit) operating system.
    • DirectX: 11.0 or higher.

I notice laptop has 2.910ghz and game states 3.3 ghz but I have no idea what that means.
    will the game still run on this laptop ?
    The main thing there is the GPU - That latitude doesn't have a dedicated graphics card (which is what the GPU is) and modern games will all need that. Your son needs to get a dedicated gaming laptop which do not come cheap.
  • Agreed. The processor might’ve been a possible but the graphics card would limit it completely unfortunately