Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How many 'missing' fans will ever return to Charlton, Blackpool, Coventry, Orient etc

The longer you have a dodgy owner in charge the more unlikely it seems that the disappearing fanbase will ever return. I've heard a lot of people say that fans will return on a change of ownership but I wonder how significant a number this will be - I think people are growing increasingly disenchanted with football and they dont feel connected with their club anymore.

I found watching Charlton last night incredibly sad - it was a near empty stadium with zero atmosphere. I feel no connection to this team and certainly not to the manager.

Comments

• I'll come back once they've gone, and will attend on a regular basis, but the likelihood of being a season ticket holder again is low
  • I will return for the first game, as promised I'll buy a season ticket with the likelyhood that I'll give it away as I now do other things on a saturday. Sadly Charlton have missed out on my Grandchildren ever being there again.
  • The birth of my boy nearly two years ago has meant that me not going to the games now, after being ST in the Lower North for 20 years, has been made easier by these buffoons. My Saturdays are mainly revolving around being with him and so as every game passes, the more entrenched I have become in my new way of life. I will come back, once they have gone, and hopefully a decent owner/SMT are put in place, but my ST status is 50/50 at best right now. I miss meeting up with a lot of the friends I made from match days, but I can still see some of them on occasion outside of football. What is really sad (for me) is that Charlton will miss out on my boy being an Addick if this rot continues. I won't take him whilst they are there. Him supporting another team will be his choice but it will always be a dull ache in my heart caused by Roland and Katrien.
  • edited February 2017
    It will be a number between zero and the original amount who used to go.
  • It depends. If there is a new owner with a convincing vision that people can buy into, many of those not going will come back and new people will start going. That's what hooks people. They'll be dragged along by mates and realise that armchair support is nothing like the real, visceral thrill of being in a crowd and experiencing the game. We all got hooked at one point or another, and we all had reasons for doing so. Get that feelgood factor back and old fans will come back and will be joined by new ones.
  • the thing what i think kind of pisses me off most with this is from the ages of 21-30 when you dont have as many commitments, spare bit of cash kicking about you can do all the away days etc, ive done it with us being shit and its hard going when there 3/400 of you at an away game, i know there not everyone's cup of tea but Leeds,shef weds,newcastle etc i am jealous as there away support is unreal, i enjoy the away days as for most of us is a piss up, the shit served up on the pitch you get used to, but do think its been a while since weve had a good one, gillingham was a bit meh and try to forget about millwall, best away in recent times is probably cardiff a couple of years back great win that was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:

I'll come back once they've gone, and will attend on a regular basis, but the likelihood of being a season ticket holder again is low

This sums me up as well. As much as I have loved and enjoyed supporting Charlton over the last 49 years I have also enjoyed pursuing other interests over the weekends since I have been boycotting which is 18 months.

Will I return once these owners have gone...........yes I will, will I buy another season ticket................I doubt it.
  • I've promised myself I will be there on day one after Roland's finally pissed off, but long term? Maybe the odd game or two every now and then, but this nightmare few years has broken a bond that was built up over decades. Happy with my non-league season ticket at a club ten minutes' walk from my front door, new habit has formed and it'll present me with a dilemma if and when the Belgian leaves.
  • As others have already said I think I'll come to games. But I'll pick and choose. The urgency I used to feel about going is almost gone. And I find I have plenty of other things to do that give me as much enjoyment as Charlton used to.
    I remember saying to my son as we were at a Premier League game that he should remember as much as he could because this might be as good as it gets for Charlton in his lifetime.
    Wish it weren't so.
  • I'll be back with a ST, what a piss up that will be in the Lib.
  • Yes

Some will come back when Roland leaves

After that IF we get success, and find ourselves in the PL again (which seems a long way off at the moment but isn't unreasonable) then the ground will be packed out again.

Even if we are just a decent Championship club, with good management there's no reason why we can't build up to say 16000 gates.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

My guess is that, if we get a new owner before collapsing completely, he or she will come in like a white knight and the first game post-Roland will be a carnival. CARD, WAR and the club et al will make a big fuss and we'll get a big crowd (relatively speaking) and the first game will be like Portsmouth in '92.

The subsequent crowds will drop, but the baseline, depending on which league we are in, will be a big chunk, say 25%, above what it is today. Where it goes from there will depend entirely on success.

Whatever happens Jimmy just make sure you are tucked up at home with your laptop and fresh batteries in your mouse. We cannot have you celebrating down the Valley, your home listeners need you.
  • I can't wait to go back. I really miss it.
  • The thing is - I don't think we are as low as we can go with this clueless owner.
  • The thing is - I don't think we are as low as we can go with this clueless owner.

Too true.

If KR is losing the dressing room, as some on here are suggesting, and we get a few more injuries, more red cards etc, we could easily become embroiled in a scrap at the bottom.
  • Sponsored links:

• There are more of us to stop attending first unfortunately.............before anyone can think of enticing returning support
  • I should think we will have thousands returning.
    The question is will there be a club to return to.
  • This thread is, sadly, looking like a warning to any potential buyers that the club may never recover from RD's ownership and that they should stay away and let the club die.
  • I will be back with my two sons. It feels awful not going to matches but as I see it, short turn loss for long term gain.
    If the club think that on the pitch success or cheaper ticket prices would change my mind are much mistaken.
    I will not given him money.
  • If the new owners do their homework and integrate with the fans, particularly the ones involved with CARD(and the like), we will return.

• Will dip my toe in at first and make sure the damage Isn't permanent.

I really effing miss our shit turnouts away and our baffling collapses at home from the most unassailable of positions. God that's sick.
  • I'll be back when they go. Miss the place and the social aspect of it all.
  • I did buy season tickets this year for me and my 11 year old son. I really struggled with it but he was already wavering and I was desperate to keep him interested and it's a special thing going to games together. He went to all the Christmas parties to meet the players during Powells time and they were fantastic. He loved everything about Charlton, pictures of players all over his wall. But this season we've probably been to half the games and he's just not interested at all and I'm only interested in seeing this lot feck off. We feel very little affinity to the players and even less to the merry go round of managers. Sad times. Not a chance I will renew my 3 tickets next year and the longer this nonsense goes on the chances of my son still being Charlton will diminish rapidly. If they aren't gone by next season we will only have scratched the surface of our decline. #RolandOut
  • Me and my two sons will be back as will my dad. Just cannot justify spending hard earned money on lining their pockets.