Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford - Match Thread (post match from P15)

Comments

• Options
    Few observations, highlight was the barney in NW Quadrant, watching the geezer leap down various rows of seats and push the bloke over who then fell backwards down various rows of seats bloody hilarious.

Rudd having a go at Bauer after Oxford had a free header from a free kick, he went and pushed Bauer, then it seems to get back at him gave him a fuckin hospital pass striaght after, no love lost there.

Despite other peoples view though Page was one of our better players last night.

Watt as someone else dtated is not fit but the ball over the top to Josh was class, the rest was utter dross, surely you have to play the Arsenal geezer off of Josh and Holmes out wide.

We are a car crash and I forsee a exciting end to the season fighting to stay up.
  • Options

Last 5 matches
    Fleetwood draw
    Wimbledon draw
    Oldham lose
    Rochdale draw
    Oxford lose

That's 3 points out of a possible 15 and when you consider the quality of the opposition it really does show how bad we really are.

I cannot think of a single positive thing to say following this run of results and the only thing keeping me going right now is the hope that Roland sells sooner rather than later

And February was meant to be an easier month than March and April...
  • Options
    I've just worked out what our tactics were, RUGBY LEAGUE.

The tactics appeared to be minimal passing, but virtually every Charlton player, picked the ball up and "ran" with it, until they were tackled. I've rarely seen such a more disjointed performance.
  • Options
    Left on 75mins last night... Never gone so early before!!
  • Options

Last 5 matches
    Fleetwood draw
    Wimbledon draw
    Oldham lose
    Rochdale draw
    Oxford lose

That's 3 points out of a possible 15 and when you consider the quality of the opposition it really does show how bad we really are.

I cannot think of a single positive thing to say following this run of results and the only thing keeping me going right now is the hope that Roland sells sooner rather than later

That's consolidationism
  • Options
    I spent yesterday evening at woolwich town hall attending a mind-numbing, 2 hour, project stakeholder meeting.
    Sounds like I had a touch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At least watching Charlton will be realistically priced against Bury.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

No idea how to put this. There was so much wrong with tonight. Here come the standard Paddy P bullet points:

Team/game as a whole:
    - No trust, unlike when I last saw us at home vs Fleetwood. So disjointed.
    - We looked tired. Not overly sure why.
    - We played well earlyish doors 2nd half, but weren't able to connect passes fluently.
    - Oxford played really quite well in adjusting to us; taking the game to us; and it was a good goal they deserved (even if the goal itself was from a speculative shot).
    - McAleny looked different class today.
    - Referee was absolutely spot on with all his decision-making, except maybe one minor thing.
    - Mentally, we lost it and they had their tails up after the goal. We actually lost the game in the 12th minute I'd say, as there was no response. Even after half time, there wasn't *really* one.

------------

... Why do I bother any more?

Live commentary kept highlighting referees mistakes?
    Not that it really matters :-(
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

PaddyP17 said:

No idea how to put this. There was so much wrong with tonight. Here come the standard Paddy P bullet points:

Team/game as a whole:
    - No trust, unlike when I last saw us at home vs Fleetwood. So disjointed.
    - We looked tired. Not overly sure why.
    - We played well earlyish doors 2nd half, but weren't able to connect passes fluently.
    - Oxford played really quite well in adjusting to us; taking the game to us; and it was a good goal they deserved (even if the goal itself was from a speculative shot).
    - McAleny looked different class today.
    - Referee was absolutely spot on with all his decision-making, except maybe one minor thing.
    - Mentally, we lost it and they had their tails up after the goal. We actually lost the game in the 12th minute I'd say, as there was no response. Even after half time, there wasn't *really* one.

------------

... Why do I bother any more?

Live commentary kept highlighting referees mistakes?
    Not that it really matters :-(
    I thought the referee got most things right. It was just his attention seeking demeanour that riled me.
  • Options
    Was in the nwq last night and saw the incident. There was a group of 6 who stood up when north upper sang stand up if you want them out. They continued to stand and were met with a volley of abuse from the back row by an older man telling them to either go over to north upper or sit down, by the way these 6 blokes and im sure they wouldnt mind me saying were the stereotypical charlton types that others mock, so when they didnt obey to the old one at the back a younger man, who was with the older one, then hurdled chairs to confront the 6 men. The younger man then shoved one of the 6 who flew backwards over the seats and could have seriously been hurt, these 6 looked like they have never seen violence before and didnt fight back, its at this time stewards, on leaving their duties of checking tickets, came to the rescue. Then not knowing what happened did nothing and allowed the perpetrator to leave at the end of the match while they questioned the guy who was pushed. How that man who was pushed didnt end up in a and e i dont know.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Was in the nwq last night and saw the incident. There was a group of 6 who stood up when north upper sang stand up if you want them out. They continued to stand and were met with a volley of abuse from the back row by an older man telling them to either go over to north upper or sit down, by the way these 6 blokes and im sure they wouldnt mind me saying were the stereotypical charlton types that others mock, so when they didnt obey to the old one at the back a younger man, who was with the older one, then hurdled chairs to confront the 6 men. The younger man then shoved one of the 6 who flew backwards over the seats and could have seriously been hurt, these 6 looked like they have never seen violence before and didnt fight back, its at this time stewards, on leaving their duties of checking tickets, came to the rescue. Then not knowing what happened did nothing and allowed the perpetrator to leave at the end of the match while they questioned the guy who was pushed. How that man who was pushed didnt end up in a and e i dont know.

Sounds nasty. Only surprising thing from your account is that there must have been at least nine people in NWQ (you, the six protestors, the hookigan and his mate). That's about four more that it looked from where I was sitting (winky emoji thing!)

Sadly, I think confrontation between protestors and non protestors is going to become more common.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I looked over to KM when the Roland Out chant started, and she had her head buried in her hands, not sure she can take much more, seeing the protests are about to be ramped up again, especially as she is no longer able to vent her anger at the fans due to her mouth being sealed with duct tape. It cannot help when see looks across to the East Stand and there are fewer fans in there, than in the away end.

Does Murray still attend?
  • Options

At least watching Charlton will be realistically priced against Bury.

It's not even worth £5....:(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

We weren't bad agaimst Rochdale, we weren't bad against AFCW, maybe last night was just a bad dream?
    Perhaps it's the famous 'wake up call'?
    Perhaps it was a one-off disaster?

But I can't forgive Robinson for playing Holmes in the middle, and Mavididi on the wing, when it so obviously should have been the other way round. And what did Botaka do wrong at Rochdale? Nothing, so why drop him? He's not the type who needs a rest.
    And why has he lost faith in Aribo when we were all raving about him? He was surely ready to return yesterday.

So no Byrne, JFC, or even Crofts on Saturday please. Magennis looks out of sorts, so I'd rest him too and get Watt back in. Get someone back from loan if you have to to fill any gaps.

And obviously I know everything. Have I mentioned my grandfather was blah blah.....

Holmes looked all over the place to be fair... Mavididi on the wing was the only player out of our front three that stuck to his position, Holmes and Magennis were forever swapping positions between themselves.
  • Options

Come on everyone, no need to be negative.

OK, so they may have underestimated League One, but they accept that mistakes have been made, and have learned from them.

They will not underestimate League Two, and will have a top six budget with aspirations to bounce back at the first attempt.

This isn't a personal dig at you Rufus but I'm finding these sarky comments more depressing than the football at the moment.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is anyone on Charlton Life that is backing those running the club now so I'm not sure who these comments are aimed at.

What I do know is that they (and there are lots of people making them) feel like having someone crack at a terminally ill relative to get a laugh.

Sadly I think it's way beyond funny now!
  • Options
    It all may be true.
    All of Robinson's remarks might be made with forensic precision, utter clarity, and cold realism.
    The trouble for me is he is running the gamut of every football explanation there ever was.
    In that brief spell Kevin Nugent got on with it, and Steve Clarke was involved too. One now gone, one now...Where?
    Robinson is running out of lines to spin. It may be, as I think it is, that he has been hamstrung by the regime from the start but he ignored or equivocated all that in order to get a job. Unless of course Robinson actually believes the guff he tells us about Katrien, Roland and Congo Chris.
    This morning I am left with the irony of Robinson going on about how he loves wingers, yet he played Holmes inside last night.
    Are you sure it is only down to the players Karl?
    I want Robinson to succeed, but it may be that his success comes managing another club.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I looked over to KM when the Roland Out chant started, and she had her head buried in her hands, not sure she can take much more, seeing the protests are about to be ramped up again, especially as she is no longer able to vent her anger at the fans due to her mouth being sealed with duct tape. It cannot help when see looks across to the East Stand and there are fewer fans in there, than in the away end.

We pay for this shit served up every week so I hope she understands what we are going through.
  • Options

'Some players want to play, some players don't want to play'.

Well I'd suggest don't play those who don't want to play. What a prick.

It pains me to say it but when Neil Warnock went to Rotherham last season (when they were deep in relegation trouble) the first thing he did was to get the entire squad divided into two opposing teams with a match played behind closed doors - no holds barred. Only those who 'performed' in this game were selected for the next match irrespective of whether they were 'first teamers' or not.

@LargeAddick is absolutely right. If Robinson says he has identified players at the Club who don't want to play then they should not be anywhere near the first team and put on gardening leave on reduced wages until such time as they can be moved on. They certainly should not appear in future matches unless they can demonstrate that they are willing to play for the shirt and fulfill their contract obligations.
    Even though it might well be true what he said I have no confidence that he can identify which players are which.

Personally I think he is just going through a manual and moving onto the next excuse in the list after each poor result. Soon we will know how many excused there are as he will have to go back to the first one soon.
  • Options

Just got in.

Got exactly what we deserved.

Our main "tactic" seemed to be give it to Mavididi and let him run at them which wasn't great such a terrible idea but that was pretty much it.

We made Connor fucking McAleny look good that was how bad we were bar the first five mins of the 2nd half.

Game was as good as over when Solly dived in. It looked bad to me from the Covered End but maybe a yellow another day.

Robinson booed off and didn't look up or clap the few fans left. Clueless.

Under 10k and barely more than Millwall and that's the official gate not the turnstile count.

This was the east stand just after kick off.

I reckon 500 is a good guess.
  • Options

Posting after a night's reflection. That was depressing on so many levels. I expected a very low crowd but that was a shock. Of the few hundred people in the east stand I was probably the third youngest (I'm 52!). There was no animation whatsoever. People just sit there speechless and motionless. The life has been well and truly sucked out. Sure there will be 15k there on Saturday for a fiver but they are tourists. The actual support for this club is withering dramatically and what's left is old.

As to events on the pitch, we are absolute shit but more entertainingly so than earlier in the season. We have a number of clearly talented individuals but absolutely no semblance of "team". Mavididi stuck out like a sore thumb. He must wonder what's going on. McAleny looked like a superstar which says all anyone needs to know about how poor this league is. We ended up with a winger at right back (having played midfield all night), another winger in the centre, a centre forward on the wing, a holding midfielder at number 10, a target man with no support and a right back in the shower. It wasn't much better when we had 11 men. Our two centre halfs who looked good in the championship look like cart horses in this league. Our various offerings at left back in recent weeks have made Foxy look good (bless him). It's an utter utter shambles.

The manager is a gobshite. Roland will probably sack him. We all know that is folly and point to the first six disastrous months of SCP's reign (that feel eerily reminiscent on the pitch to what's happening now). The difference is that SCP wasn't a mouthy vacuous twat. I won't mourn for him when the inevitable happens and we can focus our scorn on O'Laughable. Off the pitch of course, it was an accident waiting to happen back then, but this is a whole different ball game. This club is dying. Pure and simple. I can only take solace from the fact that when decent clubs are being allowed to go to rack and ruin under loony tunes owners, the powers that be are at least getting a handle on pie eating non league goalies. I slept soundly in my bed last night!

See you next season (maybe!).

I agree with your comments but there are two subtle differences. When Chris Powell was dropping down the league it was with a squad that he had inherited and not been able to do much about as he was appointed in the January. Robinson has been here since October and had a transfer window to make changes in which he has signed a handful of players. The other difference is that Chris Powell spoke with class and decency, Robinson sounds like he is just full of $hit.
  • Options
    charlton fb group saying there was some sort of fight between pro rd and anti rd fans? any truth in this?.