Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford - Match Thread (post match from P15)

Comments

• Options
    I was one of the ST absentees tonight, as I was watching The Divine Comedy play a cracking gig at The London Palladium. Even better was that there was no mobile phone signal, so I couldn't check the score...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    PaddyP17 said:

No idea how to put this. There was so much wrong with tonight. Here come the standard Paddy P bullet points:

- Rudd had no idea how to marshal his defence. Our centre backs simply do not communicate properly with him; each other; or the full backs. In that regard, we are REALLY missing Pearce.
    - Teixeira and Bauer both looked criminally casual, Tex in particular. Their distribution was woeful; Bauer was particularly slow in making decisions; both are quite slow pace-wise; neither looked in the game. Neither looked up for it, and this is a game where their "coolness" turned into complacency/sloppiness, which is unacceptable given how good they have looked before. I think it's actually a trait for both of them (the casualness of it), and I hope it changes immediately.
    - Speaking of mental inadequacy - JFC. What the fuck was he doing. I'm amazed he wasn't hauled off immediately after he was booked, as he was persistently making stupid fouls; couldn't pass it; didn't really do much running; and showed little in defence. He was WELL off the ball mentally. There were still... tiny flashes of quality, but far outweighed by poor play.
    - Page isn't good enough. Not that he played that badly, but technically he's flawed; mentally he takes too long to make what is often the wrong decision; and physically he's neither that quick nor that strong. Early call for me to make and I hope he proves me wrong, but that's what I think.
    - I have a bias in favour of Solly, and on first thought, I was disgraced at the red. Having mulled it over and seen others' reactions, I'm sorely disappointed. He lost it well before that challenge, and to compound his head going in the first half, made a fucking stupid decision. Now he's out for 3 games. Fuck sake.
    - Crofts I have respect for. He's not a great footballer, but he doesn't hide, and kept going for 90 minutes. Played a bit below his usual standard (which itself isn't great), but then again almost everyone did.
    - Byrne was barely in it. Hit the bar, other than that, what did he do?
    - Holmes showed. He wasn't at his best, but he was one of the least worst Charlton players on the pitch.
    - Mavididi is clearly going to be a very very good footballer. He was unlucky not to score, and despite fading quite drastically after about 60 minutes, was still our best player by a mile.
    - Magennis looked unfit both mentally and physically. For now, will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's been rushed back a bit too early.

Subs:
    - Botaka could have run around a bit more, but that's about it. Barely had a chance to do anything.
    - Aribo was competent tbh.
    - Watt is so unfit. He just hasn't got it at the moment, whatever the "it" was when he first joined.

Team/game as a whole:
    - No trust, unlike when I last saw us at home vs Fleetwood. So disjointed.
    - We looked tired. Not overly sure why.
    - We played well earlyish doors 2nd half, but weren't able to connect passes fluently.
    - Oxford played really quite well in adjusting to us; taking the game to us; and it was a good goal they deserved (even if the goal itself was from a speculative shot).
    - McAleny looked different class today.
    - Referee was absolutely spot on with all his decision-making, except maybe one minor thing.
    - Mentally, we lost it and they had their tails up after the goal. We actually lost the game in the 12th minute I'd say, as there was no response. Even after half time, there wasn't *really* one.

------------

... Why do I bother any more?

@AFKABartram @LoOkOuT

I think you'll probably find that alleging a professional footballer has a 'drinking problem' that is impacting his performance is libellous in the extreme.
  • Options
    Been thinking about it and, to be fair, with the level of effort that's gone into making us shit, to still be underachieving is quite an achievement
  • Options
    edited February 2017
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    :-)
  • Options
    I'd like to whole-heartedly apologise for the allegation I made earlier in relation to a player. It was based on hearsay and conjecture, as well as half-readings on various other non CAFC forums that seemingly corresponded to said allegation.

I withdraw what I said immediately in the understanding that it can't wholly be taken back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

No idea how to put this. There was so much wrong with tonight. Here come the standard Paddy P bullet points:

- Rudd had no idea how to marshal his defence. Our centre backs simply do not communicate properly with him; each other; or the full backs. In that regard, we are REALLY missing Pearce.
    - Teixeira and Bauer both looked criminally casual, Tex in particular. Their distribution was woeful; Bauer was particularly slow in making decisions; both are quite slow pace-wise; neither looked in the game. Neither looked up for it, and this is a game where their "coolness" turned into complacency/sloppiness, which is unacceptable given how good they have looked before. I think it's actually a trait for both of them (the casualness of it), and I hope it changes immediately.
    - Speaking of mental inadequacy - JFC. What the fuck was he doing. I'm amazed he wasn't hauled off immediately after he was booked, as he was persistently making stupid fouls; couldn't pass it; didn't really do much running; and showed little in defence. He was WELL off the ball mentally. There were still... tiny flashes of quality, but far outweighed by poor play.
    - Page isn't good enough. Not that he played that badly, but technically he's flawed; mentally he takes too long to make what is often the wrong decision; and physically he's neither that quick nor that strong. Early call for me to make and I hope he proves me wrong, but that's what I think.
    - I have a bias in favour of Solly, and on first thought, I was disgraced at the red. Having mulled it over and seen others' reactions, I'm sorely disappointed. He lost it well before that challenge, and to compound his head going in the first half, made a fucking stupid decision. Now he's out for 3 games. Fuck sake.
    - Crofts I have respect for. He's not a great footballer, but he doesn't hide, and kept going for 90 minutes. Played a bit below his usual standard (which itself isn't great), but then again almost everyone did.
    - Holmes showed. He wasn't at his best, but he was one of the least worst Charlton players on the pitch.
    - Mavididi is clearly going to be a very very good footballer. He was unlucky not to score, and despite fading quite drastically after about 60 minutes, was still our best player by a mile.
    - Magennis looked unfit both mentally and physically. For now, will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's been rushed back a bit too early.

Subs:
    - Botaka could have run around a bit more, but that's about it. Barely had a chance to do anything.
    - Watt is so unfit. His drinking problem is really, really starting to show. I hope he can sort it out - alcohol abuse ruins lives (and football careers). He just hasn't got it at the moment, whatever the "it" was when he first joined.

Team/game as a whole:
    - We played well earlyish doors 2nd half, but weren't able to connect passes fluently.
    - Oxford played really quite well in adjusting to us; taking the game to us; and it was a good goal they deserved (even if the goal itself was from a speculative shot).
    - Referee was absolutely spot on with all his decision-making, except maybe one minor thing.
    - Mentally, we lost it and they had their tails up after the goal. We actually lost the game in the 12th minute I'd say, as there was no response. Even after half time, there wasn't *really* one.

------------

@AFKABartram @LoOkOuT

I think you'll probably find that alleging a professional footballer has a 'drinking problem' that is impacting his performance is libellous in the extreme.
    Edited accordingly - should have said "alleged" in the first place, but have removed all reference now.
    Except because it was quoted it's still showing. Alleged by the way does not help in Libel!
    I think to bring a libel case against an allegation, you'd have to prove it wasn't true rather than the other party prove it was. Simples.
  • Options

If anyone bums into uncle Roly or KM could you pass on a wee message, Jon says may the flees of a thousand camels infest your arsholes.

I wouldnt think too many people would likely get that close, Valiants SE7 (or whatever they're called) maybe ?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

E=mc2 said:

Even I won't be blaming RD for showing you the Red card. Go - you are all noise.

Fat sweaty pilfering noise
    Whatever floats your boat!
  • Options

Kap10 said:

PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Subs:
    - Watt is so unfit. His drinking problem is really, really starting to show. I hope he can sort it out - alcohol abuse ruins lives (and football careers). He just hasn't got it at the moment, whatever the "it" was when he first joined.

Team/game as a whole:

------------

@AFKABartram @LoOkOuT

Edited accordingly - should have said "alleged" in the first place, but have removed all reference now.
    Except because it was quoted it's still showing. Alleged by the way does not help in Libel!
    I think to bring a libel case against an allegation, you'd have to prove it wasn't true rather than the other party prove it was. Simples.
    That may be the case, but I'd say that Tony Watt on $5K per week would be in a better position to pay for legal counsel than the average punter on here.

I know people post in frustration sometimes but people need to remember that whether you are publishing 1 million copies of The Sun or a single webpage then you are still publishing and are subject to the laws of the land.

Some of the stuff posted on here in the past by a few troubled individuals suggested that they never really understood that.
  • Options
    Deary me, that really was a load of old shit.

Even simple 5 yard passes seemed to be a struggle for most of our players tonight.

The only positive was Mavididi - what a player he looks. A bit like Lookman but much more physical when he runs through players.

Besides that - it was thoroughly depressing.
  • Options
    Oxford were good at the pressing game,forcing Tex and Paddy into many errors. Don't know what the midfield did JFC,Bryne and Crofts infective.Maginnis is fundamentally limited as a footballer. Don't know what TWWW brings to the team. Novak?.Thought Holmes had some industry.Mavadidi looks skillful as hell.Aribo was decent for the time he was on. Solly didn't have a great game and got frustrated.Overall really really depressing.
  • Options

Tonight is the night where we win a game and then everyone starts saying on multiple threads rather excitedly about how 'we can still make the play offs'. Approximately 3 days after the same people were assuring everyone our season is now over.

And with predictive skills like that AFKA, I recommend you save your money on the lottery this week. :-) Meanwhile I entirely forgot we were playing tonight, despite the fact I was on here at lunchtime, so have just waded through the match thread, which would have been way more depressing if not for @JiMMy 85's asides throughout. Someone give that man a cuddle, cos he sounds like he needs it!
  • Options
    Following the match thread, i managed to miss a great Monaco goal while reading about the Oxford one...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:

The fans have some home truths for you pal. Makes me chuffing laugh the crap he comes out with.

That's why I call him Karl Gobinson
  • Options
    That performance was painful to watch especially second half. They all looked unfit except mavididdy. There was definitely something majorly missing from the whole team. Rudd's kicking was awful last night. Robinson is at fault and I cant think what he has to do but the basics were not there....like passing the ball. Like I say...painful.
  • Options
    Disgraceful challenge from Solly removed any chance of us getting something from the game. Agree that Watt looks a bit ineffective but he did create two moments of magic which we could have scored from.
  • Options

Sad times , to think we have such lame duck fans that will be all too willing to swallow whatever shit these dumbtastic prick owners throw at us makes me want to vomit in their dumbfuck , divvy , clueless, fuckwittered faces .
    It's a disgrace what these amateurs have done to our club .

40% 7th-12th ......... 60% 13th-20th

Go on now, go, walk out the door
    Just turn around now
    'Cause you're not welcome anymore

You genuinely think 0% relegation?????!!!
  • Options
    It looked like Rudd was under instruction to roll the ball short every time. Trouble was, for all their limitations going forward, Oxford were excellent at pressing us high up the pitch and boxing us in.

This meant that almost every time Rudd started the play, we were immediately under intense pressure and looked like either losing it or had to resort to lumping it to safety.

That also goes for almost every free kick and throw - we had no ideas for dealing with their closing-down and just constantly lost possession in our own half from our own dead balls. It was pathetic to watch.
  • Options
    Too depressing for words, except for this: #RolandOut
  • Options

Disgraceful challenge from Solly removed any chance of us getting something from the game. Agree that Watt looks a bit ineffective but he did create two moments of magic which we could have scored from.

I must have dozed off and missed the moments of magic. Haven't been this year due to family issues. Not inclined to go back in a hurry

• Options
    supaclive said:

Sad times , to think we have such lame duck fans that will be all too willing to swallow whatever shit these dumbtastic prick owners throw at us makes me want to vomit in their dumbfuck , divvy , clueless, fuckwittered faces .
    It's a disgrace what these amateurs have done to our club .

40% 7th-12th ......... 60% 13th-20th

Go on now, go, walk out the door
    Just turn around now
    'Cause you're not welcome anymore

You genuinely think 0% relegation?????!!!
    We are part of the poniness in a sea of pony in this league , as wank as we are , I'm pretty sure we will survive with a few points to spare at least .
  • Options
    All over the place. The formation doesn't work, then when Solly went off we were playing 2 CB'S, 1LB, Aribo as the sole CM while everyone else just wandered around aimlessly.

KR better hope Roland doesn't get too annoyed at the protests in a few weeks time.