Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• T.C.E said:

I Danial Blake, brilliant just brilliant.

Absolutely. That and Fences are the best I've seen in a while.
  • iainment said:

T.C.E said:

I'm hoping to watch I, Daniel Blake tomorrow. Is it going to make me just normal angry or loach angry?
  • Carter said:

iainment said:

T.C.E said:

I'm hoping to watch I, Daniel Blake tomorrow. Is it going to make me just normal angry or loach angry?
    I was loach angry. But I always am.
  • Took my 7 year old to see Lego Batman at the weekend. I thought it was average but she loved it.

Finally got round to seeing Suicide Squad. I've had the blu ray since Christmas as I wanted to be in the right frame of mind to give it the best chance. A lot of poor films are built scene to scene with plot and characterisation secondary. This film follows that trend but takes it a step further by going from 'one liner' to 'one liner'. Has a lot of performances to good for the movie but the structure is a mess. Too much flashback and voice over papering over the cracks. Could have been so much better. Jared Leto went method for that!
  • Watched Anthropoid last night - had previously seen it on a plane but not so easy to follow on the tiny screen.

Really enjoyed it and Cillian Murphy is, as always, excellent. 8/10
  • Quite enjoyed Passengers, nothing amazing but entertaining all the same. I was hoping there would be something more sinister behind it, but maybe that is just because I haven't seen a decent horror film in a while

Surprisingly amusing script.

Much better than La La Land, which was shite.
  • Watched I, Daniel Blake last night and it was good but made me angry as I know it's close to reality. 7.5/10

Tried to watch Fences but after 15 or 20 minutes monologue, much of which was lost in translation I looked at the Mrs and we decided enough was enough. I wont mark it as it would be absurdly low.
  • Watched Passengers last night. One of the most predictable films I've watched.
  • TEL said:

Watched I, Daniel Blake last night and it was good but made me angry as I know it's close to reality. 7.5/10

Tried to watch Fences but after 15 or 20 minutes monologue, much of which was lost in translation I looked at the Mrs and we decided enough was enough. I wont mark it as it would be absurdly low.

I did exactly the same on Fences. Its a stage play that really doesn't translate to screen IMO. Kate Muir I think put it best in her review - don't mistake grandstanding for quality.

Denzel is lapping up the monologues and practically begging for an Oscar. Viola plays it much more understated and because of Denzel, comes across brilliantly. But the relentless talking was painful for me so had to switch off.
  • Interesting opinions on Fences. It was wordy but I expected that and watched it with my theatre eyes.
    I really think it was one of the best films I've seen in a long while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Picturehouse let you arrange a screening of the film of your choice if enough pay to go.
    Anyone interested in seeing if we can get a CL night organised?
  • iainment said:

Picturehouse let you arrange a screening of the film of your choice if enough pay to go.

Only if Dave Mehmet can select the film.
  • Watched Fences Monday night, I too nearly turned off after 20 minutes but stuck with it as I like to watch the main Oscar noms, can definitely tell the story was made for the stage but it was well worth sticking with in my opinion. I can see Viola Davis winning the Oscar for her performance but would be surprised if Denzel of the film itself did.
  • I must admit, I have a major problem watching Denzel anyway. I've probably banged on about it before - just to say, he HAS to be the smartest man in the room. All the time. Whether he's blind (still shoots everyone), an alcoholic (only he could land that plane) or a geeky train guy (he's the best goddamn train controller in Noo Yawk!), he's always the best there is. And nobody else in the movie will ever touch him.

I know his Fences character is flawed, but my god someone needed to tell him to shut up.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I must admit, I have a major problem watching Denzel anyway. I've probably banged on about it before - just to say, he HAS to be the smartest man in the room. All the time. Whether he's blind (still shoots everyone), an alcoholic (only he could land that plane) or a geeky train guy (he's the best goddamn train controller in Noo Yawk!), he's always the best there is. And nobody else in the movie will ever touch him.

I know his Fences character is flawed, but my god someone needed to tell him to shut up.

There's flawed, and then there's Denzel flawed.
  • iainment said:

Picturehouse let you arrange a screening of the film of your choice if enough pay to go.

I could be up for that, but how much per person will that be? I wonder if the PeckhamPlex would do the same thing, their tickets are only a fiver.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I must admit, I have a major problem watching Denzel anyway. I've probably banged on about it before - just to say, he HAS to be the smartest man in the room. All the time. Whether he's blind (still shoots everyone), an alcoholic (only he could land that plane) or a geeky train guy (he's the best goddamn train controller in Noo Yawk!), he's always the best there is. And nobody else in the movie will ever touch him.

There's flawed, and then there's Denzel flawed.
    Like in Inside Man when he gets fooled? But wait... Fear not, we have a scene at the end where he figures it all out. Can't have Denzel looking stupid now, can we?

Or American Gangster where he's a proper villain... Until he puts on a pair of glasses and tells the FBI how to do their jobs.

I'll try to stop now.
  • I finally saw 'I, Daniel Blake' this week. I thought there was, as you might expect, an element of dramatic license but I found it a very powerful and important film.

'Son of Saul' - a highly skilled and imaginative piece of filmmaking and it certainly packs a punch. Still not sure what to make of it, though.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Totally agree......he could do with taking a few downtrodden character parts. He is a good actor but I know exactly where your'e coming from.
  • Just watched The Founder. A very well acted film but boy did I hate the lead character...what a complete specimen Ray Kroc turned out to be.....7.5/10
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

If you get this off the ground and its between March 27th and May 5th Im in.
  • Yeah I'll join the CL Cinema night too.
  • Moonlight - a sad and tenderly story of an emotionally neglected and damaged boy/young man. I thought it was very good but not outstanding.
  • Blucher said:

Moonlight - a sad and tenderly story of an emotionally neglected and damaged boy/young man. I thought it was very good but not outstanding.

Thought Moonlight was superb - best film I've seen this year. The subject matter will limit its audience but I thought the acting and the way it was shot was outstanding.
  • edited February 2017
    Bill Paxton passed away at 61. What a screen legend he was. "We're on an express elevator to hell, going down!"
  • Not sure if mentioned previously...but I just watched the Greasy Strangler.

Not really sure what I think of it - other than it being as weird as fuck.

Like a cross between an 80's low budget VHS horror and The Mighty Boosh.

Anyone else seen it?
  • I caught La La Land last night. It's not really my genre, but I'll try most films if the reviews push me that way, and the rest of the family wanted to go. To be honest, I hated the first part. The opening songs were utterly forgettably in my opinión. A dance scene on a jammed freeway like a crazy/happy versión of the REM video for Everybody Hurts. A girly night out that looked derived from a lot of the stuff my daughters enjoy on the Disney Channel. Then Ryan Gosling appears and the film actually begins to settle. It's still fairly straightforward Hollywood fare in my opinión, but from there on, the lead actors get into gear and the film is enjoyable, and I did like the City of Stars track. And the ending warmed me to it s a film too.
    My wife and I both made the same comment leaving - that it would be a bit unfair if it swept the board as far as the Oscars went, as it wasn't anything extraordinary, and essentially that is what seemed to happen as far as prizes went. But it was a good film, and given that my previous visit to the flicks was to see 50 Shades, it was nice to come out with the whole family chatting about the movie, rather than the rage that being forced to watch a voyeuristic arse-slapping movie induced.

7.5/10
  • I caught La La Land last night. It's not really my genre, but I'll try most films if the reviews push me that way, and the rest of the family wanted to go. To be honest, I hated the first part. The opening songs were utterly forgettably in my opinión. A dance scene on a jammed freeway like a crazy/happy versión of the REM video for Everybody Hurts. A girly night out that looked derived from a lot of the stuff my daughters enjoy on the Disney Channel. Then Ryan Gosling appears and the film actually begins to settle. It's still fairly straightforward Hollywood fare in my opinión, but from there on, the lead actors get into gear and the film is enjoyable, and I did like the City of Stars track. And the ending warmed me to it s a film too.
    My wife and I both made the same comment leaving - that it would be a bit unfair if it swept the board as far as the Oscars went, as it wasn't anything extraordinary, and essentially that is what seemed to happen as far as prizes went. But it was a good film, and given that my previous visit to the flicks was to see 50 Shades, it was nice to come out with the whole family chatting about the movie, rather than the rage that being forced to watch a voyeuristic arse-slapping movie induced.

7.5/10

I loved La La Land but have to say I thought Moonlight was a better film and deserved to win the Oscar. I dont think La La Land is a traditional mainstream musical which is perhaps why so many people have been lukewarm to it.

The previous film Whiplash the La La Land director made was an excellent film but again it seemed to have limited appeal.