Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Oxford | Tue 21 Feb | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
Tuesday 21st February 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey)

Introduction

It has been nearly three weeks since our last game at the Valley and on that road trip the Addicks have had a short trip to South West London with two trips up to Manchester. February was meant to define our season, if we wanted to reach the Play-Offs then our charge up the table needed to begin this month… With just three points over the four matches, February certainly has defined our season… Just not in the way we wanted.

Tuesday night sees us lose a game in hand against a handful of opponents above us yet with Oxford United coming to town it’s not just the Addicks squad that might be a bit stretched… For reasons unknown and for the first time that I can remember, the Met Police will be at two South London Grounds this Tuesday night as both Charlton and Millwall play host to League One opposition.

The Opposition
Name: Oxford United | Manager: Michael Appleton
Ground: Kassam Stadium

Never has a Manager been mocked on CharltonLife as often as Michael Appleton… His Managerial career began at struggling Portsmouth yet despite the restraints under Pompey at the time he impressed and secured a move to Blackpool yet after just 12-games he was moving (by choice) once again to rivals: Blackburn Rovers where once again he was in charge of just 13-games before he was sacked… Here was a Manager who seemed to be trying to completing “the 92” with a different approach to the fans.

After a year out of the game; Appleton surprisingly popped up at Oxford and over the last three years he’s certainly rebuilt his reputation. Promotion from League Two last season hasn’t left his side daunted with the task at hand with an impressive 3-2 defeat against Middlesbrough on Saturday in the FA Cup showing us just what we can expect this Tuesday night.

Charlton Team News
Jason Pearce must now be getting lonely on the side-lines as yet another player returns to contention… After a silly sending off at the end of the Fleetwood match; Nathan Byrne could return to the side yet after scoring his first goal for the club, you’d expect to see Jordan Botaka staying ahead of the Wigan loanee in the line-up.

Ezri Konsa started our last match against Rochdale in defence yet injury saw him depart early on and was replaced by our saviour that day in Jorge Teixeira… With such a short time frame between matches, you’d expect Oxford to come too soon for a return for Konsa.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Teixeira | Page
Forster-Caskey | Crofts
Botaka | Watt | Holmes
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Byrne | Jackson | Aribo | Novak | Mavididi

Prediction
Is the season over… Does mid-table appear to beckon? – This Tuesday sees a classic mid-table clash with Oxford just a single point ahead of the Addicks yet with our opponents still having a two game advantage over 6th place you’d expect to see an attempt from at least one of us to go for the three points and so try and close the gap

Comments

• Thanks to @CAFC-West for reminding me that Charlton and Millwall are both at home tomorrow night.

Has this EVER happened before?

*Note: It can be a struggle some weeks to find something to write about in the Introduction... If ever anyone finds something of note about the fixture, by all means drop me a message in my inbox as it could help me out massively
  • Postive prediction for tomorrow. 3-1 win.

Tex, Josh and Holmes.

Hopefully, we will get the two wins this week to ensure we aren't dragged back into a relegation battle.
  • I'm liking this because I to went mental at the manor ground at that same game. I was a young 15 year old pup and my whole life was football. That same season I dumped a girl after the 2-0 win away at Portsmouth

I was stood very close to Seb's brother Oli and I remember almost knocking him over by mistake when that winner went in.

Anyway, the game. The only thing in our favour is how motivated Oxford may be after being dumped out the cup. Will they have hangover.

My heart says 1-1 as we desperately try to zero in on the record number of draws in one season. My head says 1-1 to keep up this brilliant consolidationism
  • Another draw would be nice.
  • Thanks to @CAFC-West for reminding me that Charlton and Millwall are both at home tomorrow night.

*Note: It can be a struggle some weeks to find something to write about in the Introduction... If ever anyone finds something of note about the fixture, by all means drop me a message in my inbox as it could help me out massively

I'm pretty sure we played the same night back in either the Prem days or when we we're in the Championship... either way they weren't in the same league at the time.

I'm pretty sure we played the same night back in either the Prem days or when we we're in the Championship... either way they weren't in the same league at the time.
    I generally didnt think the two could play at home on the same day because of policing
  • Regardless of anything nothing less than two wins this week will do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Now we have been told by MeLargo that we always win, we know what score it is NOT going to be 1-1
  • Motormouth said after Rochdale that Konsa, despite the injury, was due for a rest Tuesday anyway, so I doubt if he or Aribo will figure, but I reckon Mivididi might start ahead of Watt. A comfortable 3-0 win and another 3pts on Saturday will see us flying towards the dizzy heights of 12th place
  • Oxford should be there for the taking after the long trip to Boro and the emotional let-down of losing it late on. As stated above, nothing less than six points will do so KR had better ensure we get the first three tomorrow - and I think we will. 2-1 to us...
  • Personally can see Byrne starting tomorrow night, having read what Robinson was saying about already planning on resting Konsa, I can see him already having a team in mind for tomorrow before the Rochdale game.

Nothing less than a win tomorrow evening is good enough, as state above, we must get 6 points from these two home games. Anything else means I want us to push for the record of 1-1 draws in a season.

3-1 to us, and something like:

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Teixeira Page
    Crofts Forster-Caskey
    Byrne Watt Holmes
    Magennis

Phillips, Chicksen, Jackson, Aribo, Botaka, Mavididi, Novak
  • Catch Oxford on an understandable downer we could win fairly easily.

In the match at Oxford they looked tidy and well organised, just the sort of league one outfit we have had problems with all season.

I honestly think that Oxford will not be up for this

2-0 charlton
  • The games are coming thick and fast now. These end of season run-ins really are edge of the seat stuff!
  • Catch Oxford on an understandable downer we could win fairly easily.

In the match at Oxford they looked tidy and well organised, just the sort of league one outfit we have had problems with all season.

I honestly think that Oxford will not be up for this

2-0 charlton

I think Oxford will be very up for this.

They are on a good run, especially away from home, just proved to themselves they can live with a prem team having already beaten Newcastle and still have an outside chance of the play-offs with their two games in hand.

I think Oxford will see this as a winnable game and try to take the game to us but that might suit us better than Fleetwood and Wimbledon's tactic of stopping us playing.

2 - 2 draw.
  • edited February 2017
    Nicholas said:

A draw would be nice

I prefer your straight between the eyes retorts @Nicholas mate, still worth a lol though :wink:

I generally didnt think the two could play at home on the same day because of policing
    You only need one copper and his dog at the Valley these days, all the decent overtime is at the Toolbox :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Roland makes a surprise visit to London to watch his team, unfortunately he's forgotten where the Valley is and ends up watching Millwall instead.

2-4.
  • desmond after being 2-0 up
  • got to be @ForeverAddickted's selection and GOT to be three points

CAFC 2 v Oxford United 0
  • Empty red seats, rain and a demoralising 0-3 defeat. A classic Tues night at the Valley. The only highlight for me will be securing my Sheff Utd ticket.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • 1-2 Oxford
  • edited February 2017

Empty red seats, rain and a demoralising 0-3 defeat. A classic Tues night at the Valley. The only highlight for me will be securing my Sheff Utd ticket.

What about meeting up with your nephew @cabbles then?
  • It matters not weather we win lose or draw as we will not make the playoffs nor will we be relegated.
    Having said that i fully expect us to win a tight match 2.1 with Karl waffling on longer than usual in his post match interview.
    I then think we may win Saturday sending posters on here wild with delight as to our chances of reaching the playoffs before it all goes belly up at Northampton.

Happy sod ain't i

Just don't get the 9.54 train to Northampton