Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stanley "Ticky" Armitage

@StrikerFirmani asked on another thread about this reserve player as he knows the player's son.

Now we have started to scan the museum's paper records we can better search our records.

Thanks to Paul Baker for the hard work and all those who have donated money or items to the museum that make this possible.

------

Stanley Armitage played around 30 times for Charlton’s reserve team but these were spread over 9 seasons which were obviously heavily disrupted by the war and Stanley was in the forces for much of this time. His first match was on 27th April 1938 at Luton reserves and his last appearance on 20th April 1946 at QPR reserves. He played in the last reserve match before the war – at Swansea on September 2nd. Stanley played at inside right and scored a good number of goals including four goals in a match (twice). He also scored in a 10-0 victory over Watford reserves in 1946.

Nickname was “Ticky” or “Tricky”(?).

Stanley Albert ("Ticky") ARMITAGE

(b. Woolwich 5.6.19; Played for Woodville F.C. as a junior; Bostall Heath F.C.; Charlton (£10 donation to Bostall Heath May 1938)- registered with F.L. as a Charlton player (pro.) 9.5.38 (first played in Combination team during season 1937/38 at inside right) (cartilage operation Aug. 1938); accrued share of benefit £70 Aug. 1946; QPR May 1946 - 2 Div. 3 South matches (1946/47), no goals; Gravesend & Northfleet 1947/48 (17 League and Cup appearances, 6 goals).

(9.5.38 - 27.8.38) £2 10s. 0d. per week.

(27.8.38 - 6.5.39) £3 10s. 0d. per week. £1 10s. 0d. extra per week when playing in the first team.

(20.11.45 - 4.5.46) £7 per week.

Stanley played in the following matches:

1937/38

27th April 1938 (a) Luton 2 CAFC 0

Comment: Players: Armitage ("injured but best forward) - the only comment on match.

1938/39

10th September 1938 (h) Charlton Athletic 4 (Owens (2), Blott, Armitage) Reading 2:

Comment: Armitage ("hurt lst 1/4 hour, good ball control)

4th March 1939 (h) Charlton Athletic 2 (Thomas (2) Northampton 4:

Comment: Armitage ("very satisfactory")

16th March 1939 (a) Queens Park Rangers 6 Charlton Athletic 0

Comment: Armitage ("poor")

1st April 1939 (h) Charlton Athletic 2 (Blott, Drinkwater): Watford 0

Comment: Armitage ("fair")

8th April 1939 (a) Millwall 0 Charlton Athletic 0

Comment: Armitage ("not constructive, wouldn't hold ball")

19th April 1939 (a) Tunbridge Wells Rangers 2: Charlton Athletic 2 (Gibbs, Conley) - Friendly

Comment: Armitage ("showed nice football at times").

1939/40

2nd September 1939 (a) Swansea Town 2 Charlton Athletic 1 (?)

Comment: No comment - last match before outbreak of War.

1944/45

4th November 1944 at The Valley Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Alexander o.g) Queen’s Park Rangers 5 (2)

1945/46

13th October 1945 (a) Aldershot 1 (0) Charlton Athletic 2 (2) (M. Tadman (25 yard shot), Armitage)

Amateur: Charlton fielded nine amateurs, including Armitage – recently demobbed, against the eleven professionals of Aldershot.

3rd November 1945 (a) Chelsea 7 (2) Charlton 2 (1) (M. Tadman (2)

10th November 1945 at The Valley Charlton Athletic 1 (1) (Armitage) Millwall 4 (2)

17th November (a) Fulham 3 (1) Charlton Athletic 8 (5) (Hurst (2), M. Tadman (2), Armitage (2), G. Tadman, Mellish (direct from a corner kick)):

24th November 1945 at The Valley Charlton Athletic 7 (4) (M. Tadman (2), Armitage (4), Townrow) Portsmouth 4 (3)

8th December 1945 (a) West Ham United 0 (0) - Charlton Athletic 2 (1) (W. Whittaker, A. Chubb):

15th December 1945 (a) Reading 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 1 (1)

22nd December 1945 at The Valley Charlton Athletic 4 (2) (M. Tadman (2), Fearey, G. Tadman) Chelsea 2 (2)

25th December 1945 at The Valley (morning kick-off) Charlton Athletic 5 (2) (Whittaker, M. Tadman (2), Hammond, Armitage)

Clapton Orient 2 (0)

29th December 1945 (a) Brentford 3 (2) Charlton Athletic 4 (1) (Armitage, M. Tadman (3))

5th January 1946 (a) Ipswich Town 4 (2) Charlton Athletic 1 (1) (M. Tadman)

12th January 1946 (a) Millwall 4 (1) Charlton Athletic 0 (0)

19th January 1946 at The Valley Charlton Athletic 2 (G. Tadman, Armitage): Aldershot 0

26th January 1946 (a) West Ham United 1 (0) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (M. Tadman):

2nd February 1946 (a) Southend United 3 (2) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (M. Tadman )

9th February 1946 at The Valley Charlton Athletic 6 (Armitage (4), M. Tadman (2(1 pen)) Queens Park Rangers 0

23rd February 1946 at The Valley Charlton Athletic 6 (Hobbis (2), M. Tadman (2), G. Tadman (2)) Ipswich Town 3

9th March 1946 at The Valley Charlton Athletic 10 (G. Tadman (5), M. Tadman (2), Dryden (2), Armitage) Watford 0

14th March 1946 (a) Brentford Charlton Athletic 3 (M. Tadman, G. Tadman, Armitage):

6th April 1946 (a) Clapton Orient 1 Charlton Athletic 0

13th April 1946 at Fratton Park (changed from The Valley) Combination Cup (Quarter-Final) Attendance 11,242

Portsmouth *2 (1) Charlton Athletic *3 (2) (Tommy Dawson (3 - 1 pen.):

20th April 1946 (a) Queens Park Rangers 3 Charlton Athletic 1 (Dryden)

Friendlies

1. 27th October 1945 (a) Bedford Town 2 (1) Charlton Athletic 4 (3) (Dryden (2), Armitage, Dymick

2. 2nd March 1946 (a) Leytonstone 5 Charlton Athletic 5 (M. Tadman (4), Armitage)

Comments

• not constructive, wouldn't hold ball

CharltonLife Player Marks thread hasn't changed over the years then?
  • Is that all you could dig up?
  • See we were losing to THEM even then!
  • Henry,

Many thanks for retrieving the information. As mentioned will speak to his son when he returns. I believe he has some old Charlton photos which include his Dad, will ask him if he can load them up on here.
  • Henry,

Many thanks for retrieving the information. As mentioned will speak to his son when he returns. I believe he has some old Charlton photos which include his Dad, will ask him if he can load them up on here.

@StrikerFirmani we'd love to see those photos
  • Henry,

Many thanks for retrieving the information. As mentioned will speak to his son when he returns. I believe he has some old Charlton photos which include his Dad, will ask him if he can load them up on here. where

@StrikerFirmani we'd love to see those photos
    And also where he served in the war
  • I'm fairly sure his nickname was Ticky
  • P

I'm fairly sure his nickname was Ticky

What makes you say that? Do you remember him?
  • P

I'm fairly sure his nickname was Ticky

What makes you say that? Do you remember him?
    Some of his family played darts for The Wellesley pub in Hillreach and that is what they called him .
    I played in the local darts leagues many moons ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks @Starinnaddick

The records seemed to suggest both but @StrikerFirmani had said Tricky.

Love this little mysteries
  • Henry, many thanks for retrieving all this information about my dad; it really is much appreciated. Most of what I know about dad's football career has come from him and his brothers; I cannot say it's 100% accurate. Dad died in 1997 and his last brother in 2015 so I have no one to ask now.

Firstly, his knickname was "Ticky", which everyone called him by, including my mum. He said it came from his stamina on the pitch ie he was always on the go. Also we are not related to the George Armitage who also played for Charlton in the 1920s.

As a schoolboy, he represented Woolwich and I have a (silver) medal of his for season 1932/33. On leaving school at 14 he got a job as cabin boy on the Woolwich Ferry; he said he never really started playing football again until he was 16. He played for several local park football teams before signing professional forms for Charlton a month before his 19th birthday (as your records show). His uncle Alex "Nutty" King, an ex-professional with Southend United, was instrumental in persuading Jimmy Seed to sign him before other clubs who had also shown interest.

I know he had cartilage injuries to both knees during his Charlton career; the club had these done at Harley Street and I think dad had some recuperation time in Eastbourne. I am surprised that your records show this happened in his first season. Dad said that these injuries plus 5 years away during WW2 didn't help his development at Charlton.

The 1945/46 season in the reserves saw him score 19 goals, second only to Maurice Tadman who was top scorer. Eric Lancelotte was another member of that reserve team and both Tadman and Lancelotte made their first team debuts that season (I think). Dad told me that he was never a "yes man" which didn't adhere him to Jimmy Seed; he was once told by Jimmy when there were calls for dad to be picked for the first team that "I pick the team here, not anyone else!". His position of inside left meant he was cover for Don Welsh, not an easy player to replace except for injury I would suppose. Anyway, and here my facts are unconfirmed, he was finally picked to make his debut in an FA cup game (against whom I don't know). The Thursday before the match, he met a friend in Woolwich who asked him to come and have a drink with him. My dad said he couldn't do that as he had to play Saturday, but my dad always liked a drink so succumbed on the understanding it would be just the one. They went to a pub on the Square, somebody with CAFC connections saw him there and reported back to the club. Jimmy Seed promptly dropped him and that was his first team chance gone.

You asked about his war years; he served in the Royal Navy between 1940 and 1945 on the battleship HMS Royal Sovereign (eight 15in guns among other armaments) where he operated a pom-pom gun. He served the first three years on North Atlantic convoy duty then served out East (South Africa, Mauritius and India). In 1944 Royal Sovereign was assigned to the Russians and dad spent the last year on shore duty in Portsmouth.

As you have listed, he spent the 1946/47 at QPR then signed semi-professional for Gravesend & Northfleet where he told me he was the highest paid player at the time. After that he played Sunday park football with Anchor Athletic in the Metropolitan Sunday League up to the age of 36; this is when I had my first memories of seeing him play football. He was even picked for London Sunday Leagues against Birmingham Sunday Leagues at this age. My brother Alan has his representative medal for this (only fair that we share).

During the early 60s he did some scouting for Wolverhampton Wanderers (via Harold Hobbis I think) and I gladly travelled around with him to watch schoolboy and senior amateur league games. He almost signed John Sissons but West Ham just pipped him.

I have only just recently started to buy old programmes where dad played or gets a mention, so I am very interested to know what the CAFC museum holds. I did post an article on the forum concerning Picture Post magazine and CAFC showing my dad and Eric Lancelotte.

A few anecdotes I remember dad telling me include (1) When at Charlton his new boots were always one size below his norm (the hard toecap/heel variety with thick leather). He would put the boots on then sit with them in a bowl of water to try to mould them to the shape of his foot. (2) How the game then was very physical and when in one match he was constantly being fouled by an opponent, an aerial dual opportunity arose where he back-headed the guy in the face. (3) In a match where a penalty was given against Charlton, dad went up to the penalty taker and said "You're going to put this right over the bar" and the bloke did!

Finally I will mention his dad James Armitage who was no mean footballer himself. Family talk has it that he was friends with Charles Buchan (who came from Plumstead) and at some time played with him at Arsenal when they were still playing in Plumstead (this has never been verified). It was said that my granddad and Charles Buchan used to practice ball skills by running along the road kicking a ball up against the kerb of the pavement. In his book "A lifetime in football", Charles Buchan mentions doing this but doesn't mention he did this with my granddad. I have a medal (gold and enamel) of my granddad's for being runner-up in the 1912/13 Kent Senior Cup; I have researched this and it appears he would have been playing for Gravesend (before they merged with Northfleet).

• Thanks for all extra information. Our records can't give that human side of the story.

You'd be welcome to visit the musuem at any time we're open but if you let us know in advance we'll try and get what we have ready for you to see.

• @stig @LoOkOuT @cabbies can you change the title to "ticky" from "tricky"
  • According to the Players Records book 1945-1998 Ticky made 2 first team appearances for QPR .
    From that list of QPR professionals Joe Mallett started at Charlton and Frank Neary was a bit of a legend at Millwall in the early fifties, albeit in the 3rd Division
  • That Tadman had an eye for goal!
  • Great post
    Many Thanks