Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    "The N. Ireland U23 international who netted twice in the Addicks’ 5-2 win over Middlesbrough at Greenwich Borough’s DGS Marine Stadium in the Premier League Cup on Monday afternoon, is delighted to sign for Shiels troops.

And he reckons his five month loan move will be a ‘brilliant opportunity’ for him to develop his game.

“It’s a brilliant opportunity for me,” said Kennedy. “I could have stayed and played under-23 football and maybe waited for an injury at Charlton. But when I spoke to the manager about it, he said, ‘listen this is the opportunity you need’.

“He said he would prefer I came here and played for a team which would be playing Europa League this year and challenge for the league. So it’s a real opportunity.

“One of the main reasons which persuaded me to come here, and I had other offers from clubs in Ireland, was that I’m coming into a settled squad with lads that I know and played with before.”
  • Intereesting, I look forward to seeing him in action. Derry will be playing in Cork in a few weeks, hopefully he gets a run out. Hopefully he doesn't score that day.

• He sounds really excited and determined to take advantage of his opportunity.

Good luck to the lad.

• I hope a pre-season friendly is part of the deal.

Sadly, I think pre-season's in the middle of the League of Ireland season.

I may have to head up to the Brandywell.

I know but that should mean they'll be good opposition for us.

Already ticked that one off the list.

A lot of LOI teams play mid season friendlies with reserve sides and trialists against English clubs in July/August. In recent years we have had West Ham, Fulham, Burnley, Hull, Birmingham and a few others in Cork. I tend to give these games a miss unless I have nothing better to do.
  • Oh, and the Brandy is currently undergoing redevelopment. They won't be playing there until towards the end of the season at best. Currently scheduled to play at Maginn Park in Buncrana, Co. Donegal. New stadium for me to visit in June.

• With Kennedy going home for a while, how many young players are loaned out right now?

Terrell Thomas has had his long term loan renewed at Woking.
    Hanlan is at Bromley and already notched a few goals
    Umerah is up at Kilmarnock
    And now Kennedy at Derry.

Have I missed anyone?

• Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

With Kennedy going home for a while, how many young players are loaned out right now?

Have I missed anyone?

Regan Charles Charlie Chas Cook is a Solihul Moors
  • Regan Charles- Cook is at Solihull Moors.
  • Callum Thomas or have we released him?
  • Oggy Red said:

With Kennedy going home for a while, how many young players are loaned out right now?

Have I missed anyone?

Of course!

He even scored twice on Saturday and assisted with another.

• Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Have I missed anyone?

Of course!

... and scored last night in the 2-1 loss to Woking. Terrell Thomas alao scored.
  • Derry City? That's about the same level as my secondary school.
  • If he is being sent on loan to Derry then he cant be as near to the first team as you would think. Irish football is that just above conference level? i dont know much about it but would much prefer he was sent to a conference side. Its a shame as with his recent goalscoring would have been nice to give him a spot on the bench when we aren't scoring
  • Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Have I missed anyone?

Of course!

... and scored last night in the 2-1 loss to Woking. Terrell Thomas alao scored.
    Charles-Cook didnt score yesterday... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38956252
  • el-pietro said:

I hope a pre-season friendly is part of the deal.

A lot of LOI teams play mid season friendlies with reserve sides and trialists against English clubs in July/August. In recent years we have had West Ham, Fulham, Burnley, Hull, Birmingham and a few others in Cork. I tend to give these games a miss unless I have nothing better to do.
    Good point, but less likely if, as reported in the article, Derry are playing in the Europa.

Good to know about Buncrana - my LOI team is UCD, so not up do date on Derry.
  • Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Have I missed anyone?

Of course!

Charles-Cook didnt score yesterday... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38956252
    Solihull Moors website and Twitter feed are saying it was RCC who got the goal with a picture of him tucking the ball away and then celebrating...
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Have I missed anyone?

Of course!

Solihull Moors website and Twitter feed are saying it was RCC who got the goal with a picture of him tucking the ball away and then celebrating...
    Hmmm yeah good point... Good work from BBC and SKY then (as even the latter didnt show Regan as the Goalscorer even during the Soccer Special)
  • We do seem to be sending an awful lot of attacking players out at the moment, whereas we didn't send many out in the first half of the season

KAG must be feeling a bit lonely now!
  • PopIcon said:

Derry City? That's about the same level as my secondary school.

You'd be surprised at the quality in Ireland, particularly at the top teams. Daryl Horgan for example is playing regularly and scored his first goal for Preston at the weekend, or maybe the weekend before. He was at Dundalk last season, the same Dundalk who finished third in their Europa League group. My side Cork City reached the third qualifying round of the Europa League, narrowly losing 1-0 away to Genk and 2-1 at home. Three of that Genk team have since moved on for around €40m, including Ndidi at Leicester and Bailley at Leverkusen.
    Derry are a decent side, finished third last year and will be in the Europa League qualifiers this summer.
  • edited February 2017
    el-pietro said:

If he is being sent on loan to Derry then he cant be as near to the first team as you would think. Irish football is that just above conference level? i dont know much about it but would much prefer he was sent to a conference side. Its a shame as with his recent goalscoring would have been nice to give him a spot on the bench when we aren't scoring

League One isn't all that far above the Conference either you realise?
    Well we've failed to beat two recent ex-Conference teams this season (Fleetwood and Wimbledon)

Whilst nearly every team that goes up to League Two from the Conference rarely struggle and on that basis we've only beaten one of the promoted teams from last season (Bristol Rovers) this season.
  • el-pietro said:

If he is being sent on loan to Derry then he cant be as near to the first team as you would think. Irish football is that just above conference level? i dont know much about it but would much prefer he was sent to a conference side. Its a shame as with his recent goalscoring would have been nice to give him a spot on the bench when we aren't scoring

League One isn't all that far above the Conference either you realise?
    Yes i'm quite aware of that, i am unsure of the quality in Ireland. I literally have no clue other than the post above which said one team 3rd in Europa which doesn't really give us a huge reflection as on paper that would be better than Charlton but i guess they aren't quite league one standard either if we played them. who knows, not me...

Conference isn't that different but would give him a run out and also get him used to the physical side of Mens football. I am not to sure how competitive and physical the Irish league is....

I do think he would be useful to be on the bench at present when we are not scoring , but others have stated he is not quite ready. Going to Irish club seems a backward step to me.
  • The League of Ireland (Irish League is the league in Northern Ireland, Derry while in N.Ireland, play in the LOI for historical and political reasons) is a quite physical league, though probably more technical and slightly less physical than the lower English leagues, at least at the top level. He will probably get a bit more time on the ball than he might in the Conference. There will be teams that aren't afraid to give him a kicking though. We play fewer games too (33 league), fewer midweek games so more recovery time between games.

Irish teams almost never pay transfer fees. Its very rare.
  • el-pietro said:

The League of Ireland (Irish League is the league in Northern Ireland, Derry while in N.Ireland, play in the LOI for historical and political reasons) is a quite physical league, though probably more technical and slightly less physical than the lower English leagues, at least at the top level. He will probably get a bit more time on the ball than he might in the Conference. There will be teams that aren't afraid to give him a kicking though. We play fewer games too (33 league), fewer midweek games so more recovery time between games.

Irish teams almost never pay transfer fees. Its very rare.

Thank you for the update/ info, appreciated.