Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tyres

I am in the position where I need to buy a new tyre and I can actually choose what I get for once (ie it isn't urgent and i'm not in Kwikfit with a flat tyre and nowhere else to go).

Best tyre manufacturers/ones to avoid? Got Michelins at the moment, seen a few brands on ebay that seem ridiculously cheap comparatively.

Anyone have experience of using blackcircles.com? Recommend?

Does it matter if the load rating on my new tyre is higher than on my old one - when they replaced my old one previously they replaced it with one with a different load rating so I am assuming it doesn't matter if it goes higher.

Thanks again CL

Comments

• edited February 2017
    we always use Event mobile tyres. They come to the office (or wherever you want them), are quick, courteous and so much cheaper than Kwik fit. I have no hesitation in recommending them at all

https://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

I believe they are much of a muchness with blackcircles but I am not familiar with them. I will only go to kwik fit or any other garage if it's an emergency so online will always get my vote

• edited February 2017
    http://www.tyresonthedrive.com

I put that merely because my son works for them
  • Have a look at Vredestein - see if their tyres are cheaper than Michelin. They have a good reputation. The problem with getting tyres fitted by a mobile is they (obviously) don't have the tracking kit on board. If your car's tracking is out (as it will be if you've been bouncing up and down kerbs or just driving on our appalling pot-holed roads) the life of your new tyre will likely be severely compromised.

I always go to Elite Direct of Rainham Essex who have the proper 4-wheel tracking kit.
  • I always buy Yokohama
  • Google and wait for a sale, someone's usually got one.
  • Car? 4WD etc?

Never mix tyre's on the same axle, especially the driven wheels. Recipe for disaster......
  • edited February 2017
    from my time in the car trade I have always found Michelin to be the longest wearing. Peugeots always arrived new with various tyres (but mainly Michelin or Continental) and some customers would insist on only Michelin tyres. If their car was actually delivered with another brand we would have search our compound to find another car with the same wheels but delivered on Michelins, and swop them over.

This was the case with the smaller cars, with more performance cars some preferred Pirellis, though they never seemed to last as long.
  • Ratings differ on economy, noise and wet grip so you can choose where your tyre budget is spent.
  • Firstly I always tend to buy the same tyres as are on the car. Not sure if it's true or not but I've been led to believe that it is better if they all match. Secondly I've used blackcircles.com the last few times I've bought a tyre. They are relatively cheap and the chaps that come out are always helpful and courteous. I've also 'saved' money by having the tyres delivered to a local garage but I found the inconvenience of having to drive over and then wait for ages to have them fitted a bit of a pain.

I work from home so it's easy for me to have them come to my house then I leave them to get on with it and they ring the bell when they've finished.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Car? 4WD etc?

Never mix tyre's on the same axle, especially the driven wheels. Recipe for disaster......

Citroen C3 1.2 Vti selection IIRC

Does it matter if one tyre has a bigger load rating (assuming both are at or above the recommended by manufacturer) than the other (this is what kwikfit did last time I had a tyre change, which I didn't realise until after they had done it)

I would get it done at a garage. Do they tend to check the tracking at the garages or is that extra?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scrap it and get yourself a second hand one with good tyres.
  • Advice from my tyre fitter: I you know you'll do in excess of 20,000 miles per year get the most expensive tyres you can. If you're going to do less than that, get the cheapest as they will hold up well to the job.
  • Continentals .. expensive but (in my opinion) the best .. google online for best local prices
  • Contact Cobra Tyres ask for the owner say you know me and massive discount on whatever you choose.
  • cafcfan said:

Have a look at Vredestein - see if their tyres are cheaper than Michelin. They have a good reputation. The problem with getting tyres fitted by a mobile is they (obviously) don't have the tracking kit on board. If your car's tracking is out (as it will be if you've been bouncing up and down kerbs or just driving on our appalling pot-holed roads) the life of your new tyre will likely be severely compromised.

I always go to Elite Direct of Rainham Essex who have the proper 4-wheel tracking kit.

+1 for Vrdestein, had 2 sets of summers and one set of winters, all excellent. Not the hardest wearing though, but grippy and quiet. Also had good luck with Toyo. Mrs has Summer and winters on her car. Both good, the winters are really excellent.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Car? 4WD etc?

Citroen C3 1.2 Vti selection IIRC

Does it matter if one tyre has a bigger load rating (assuming both are at or above the recommended by manufacturer) than the other (this is what kwikfit did last time I had a tyre change, which I didn't realise until after they had done it)

I would get it done at a garage. Do they tend to check the tracking at the garages or is that extra?
    Lets remember these rubber things are what keep you on the road ;-)

Unless you are changing two tyres get what is already on there, you start mixing then the tyres will have different characteristics which intros weather is not good.

Load rate generally means the tyre side wall is stronger, see above, keep it even.

No need to check tracking necessarily, changing a tyre doesn't change that, unless it's out already and tyres are wearing uneven?
  • Buy a set of 2 or 4 don't replace odd ones. The first thing I look at when buying a used car is the tyres, if they are different brands or even different cheap brands I take that as the car being looked after on a budget and one to avoid. Also having tyres with different tread and resistance will affect the handling and balance of the car

I'm a fan of Maxxis tyres, I've put them on all 4 corners of my last couple of cars and I can't speak highly enough of them

Sensibly priced, come with a lifetime guarantee and are very tough wearing. If you get a puncture and it can't be repaired anywhere that stocks Maxxis will replace it and the cost is measured by the amount of tread you have left.
  • black circles is owned by Tesco.
    Asda tyres will usually beat their price.
    You can choose which local garage you want to do the fitting.
    I've not used anyone other than Asda for years.

Never really believed the noise or economy ratings on tyres, but have recently become a convert. I go with the quietest, economical tyres in my price range. Mid range for commuting car/motorbike, top range for long distance vehicles.
  • Halix said:

from my time in the car trade I have always found Michelin to be the longest wearing. Peugeots always arrived new with various tyres (but mainly Michelin or Continental) and some customers would insist on only Michelin tyres. If their car was actually delivered with another brand we would have search our compound to find another car with the same wheels but delivered on Michelins, and swop them over.

This was the case with the smaller cars, with more performance cars some preferred Pirellis, though they never seemed to last as long.

Agree on Pirellis. Mrs Cafcfan's last car had huge Pirelli P Zero Rosso tyres. They were superb for the first 5,000 miles and then the grip and winter performance levels just fell off a cliff. Her current car is on Bridgestone run flats, again huge tyres but the side wall is so thin and so ,stiff the whole car feels like it's going to disintegrate if you hit a pothole.
  • Interesting thread.
  • Sponsored links:

Never really believed the noise or economy ratings on tyres, but have recently become a convert. I go with the quietest, economical tyres in my price range. Mid range for commuting car/motorbike, top range for long distance vehicles.

Will Asda send someone out to fit them for you?
  • Jayajosh said:

Interesting thread.

Corrected for you

Will Asda send someone out to fit them for you?
    No.
    Here's the website for comparison
    https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/
  • I tried blackcircles a while back based on price and got exactly what I paid for: shit service, fitting 3 days later than booked, no apologies. "Last Friday we promised this Tuesday but turns out we can't deliver til next Friday and wouldn't have phoned you til Friday to tell you, what's your problem with that? and no you can't cancel for a refund, not our problem you have to work for a living"
    Never again
  • edited February 2017
    If an AA member then they offer discounted tyres. Michelins on mine and I do 15000 to 20000 miles a year easy. Never had a problem.

I use Kwik Fit as they normally have offers on the more expensive brands (buy 2 or 4). Service is appalling, always try and claim brakes are faulty too. But cheapest for 4 new Michelins then I go home and do the wheel nuts up properly. Just take a book! Would never go there apart from tyres.

Mobile fitters are good unless they get an emergency call out. Then your scheduled time may be put back. That's where the ££ is for them. That's my experience anyway!
  • remember its all that separates you and ur car from the road
    dont buy cheap/or mix n match/or second hand
  • Get your cheapest tyres and then get Andy to fit them. Very reliable and a decent guy. Based in plumstead +44 7930 890427

Agree on Vredestein. Got the Quatrac range on my A4 Quattro and grips like glue and are super quiet.
  • I bought a full set of Yokohama Blue Earths in June and they really have been excellent. I wouldn't have bought them if I knew they were sponsoring Chelsea, but glad I did now!
  • Just took my car in for a service. They didn't say anything but they've written on the checklist that my offside front tyre is cracked.

MOT is due by the end of April. Driving back to London on Saturday. Do I wait until the MOT or get it replaced before I drive back?
  • Just took my car in for a service. They didn't say anything but they've written on the checklist that my offside front tyre is cracked.

MOT is due by the end of April. Driving back to London on Saturday. Do I wait until the MOT or get it replaced before I drive back?

Ask the garage who did the service ?