Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Floyd Rd Mural

edited February 2017 in Not Sports Related
http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-morgans-wall-1978/

Got sent this earlier, great piece on the making of the Floyd Rd mural in the 70's, including the late Dick Neve (the original voice of the valley) cutting the ribbon. Starts at around 36 minutes in. Any lifers recognise themselves?

Comments

• My best mates patents house, to this day. I virtually grew up in there, well the bottom half

• Thanks for posting. A different world, poorer individually, but perhaps richer collectively.

• 'Go home Cardiff'. Bit too much Millwall related graffiti for my liking.
  • So good and full of memories. Thanks for putting it up.
  • Always thought it would be an amazing idea to have a Charlton Athletic Mural just next to it on the same wall ... would look amazing with our legends and heros all plastered up the wall!
  • Absolutely brilliant thanks for sharing that. I had never seen it before.
  • Would love to see the mural restored and the idea of a CAFC one next to it is great.

Anyone know any Addick artists?
  • The mural just before they get to the Floyd Road one, was that Greenwich? Looked about opposite where Up the Creek is
  • He's a man, he's a cheetah!
  • Brilliant bit of history! Thanks for sharing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Nicked that for the museum twitter
  • Would love to see the mural restored and the idea of a CAFC one next to it is great.

I know a few Addick "piss artists" if that any help.

Murals you say ?

• Thanks for posting this.

Quite timely actually, on Saturday I met my daughters before the game and we walked down Floyd Road and past the mural which is a route we don't normally take as we come in the other end but I'd been to a meeting.

We stopped at the mural and I explained it'd been there as long as I could remember, the chip shop that used to be Batrams and the houses used to be derelict.

Then up pops this for them to watch ;-)

I've always been amazed that an owners never removed it (glad they haven't).
  • Can remember the painting, can't remember Floyd Rd being that run down. Having said that I watched the games for 2 or 3 seasons from the tower block whilst it was being built, so would have turned right at the bottom of Floyd Rd and not past the mural.
    The mural lasted for many years, not sure when it was covered over.
  • My best mates patents house, to this day. I virtually grew up in there, well the bottom half

Where did your top half virtually grow up?
  • Wow! Thanks for posting. I was there that day and was picked out to partner Dick Neve in a Wheelbarrow race. The video won't play on my office PC so I look forward to watching this when I get home tonight to see if I can spot myself.
  • Wow! Thanks for posting. I was there that day and was picked out to partner Dick Neve in a Wheelbarrow race. The video won't play on my office PC so I look forward to watching this when I get home tonight to see if I can spot myself.

There is a bit of footage of the race so you may well be on it.
  • I'm about to watch it now
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2017
    There's no footage of the wheelbarrow race but at about 41.30, just as Dick cuts the ribbon, the camera cuts to the small crowd and bingo! There I am standing in the most horrific stripey jumper I have ever seen. I seem to be scratching my nose before legging it.

I remember the event well but for some reason don't recall it being filmed. It was a joy to see and I am going to send a link to my mum as she would love to see this too.

I'd post a screenshot but I can't work out how to do it!
  • There's no footage of the wheelbarrow race but at about 41.30, just as Dick cuts the ribbon, the camera cuts to the small crowd and bingo! There I am standing in the most horrific stripey jumper I have ever seen. I seem to be scratching my nose before legging it.

I remember the event well but for some reason don't recall it being filmed. It was a joy to see and I am going to send a link to my mum as she would love to see this too.

I'd post a screenshot but I can't work out how to do it!

• shine166 said:

I've painted a few walls, this one is currently nr wood street station

@shine166

When you do a mural like that do you have a small template that you have prepared and copy that or do you do it as you go along?
  • NugNug
    edited February 2017
    Loved watching that, never knew the story behind the mural.

Great work @shine166
  • Nug said:

Loved watching that, never knew the story behind the mural.

Great work @shine166

Cheers, its part of a community project.. the space behind the scissor lift is currently being turned into a kids playground.
  • If that's you in the red, green and yellow jumper, are you the actor who played Charlie Bucket in the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory film?

It is and my wife thought the very same. She simply said, "cheer up Charlie"
  • MrOneLung said:

shine166 said:

I've painted a few walls, this one is currently nr wood street station

@shine166

When you do a mural like that do you have a small template that you have prepared and copy that or do you do it as you go along?
    Had to have it all drawn out, it's a permanent piece so had to be signed off by the council and architect first
  • Looking very drab 39 years on....

• I'd be more than keen on painting a charlton mural, wouldn't want any fee.. just my expenses covered for travel and paint