Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2017

Let's start a new thread for this year with the news that Alastair Cook has resigned as Test Captain.

Comments

• Cripes. I wouldn't be shocked if he retired altogether at what is a very young age for a cricketer and got on with his life and farm.
  • Oh - although not totally unexpected.
    Assuming Root will get the job - lets hope it doesnt affect his batting.
  • Sad to see him go especially as I don't see a ready made captain waiting in the wings. It will go to Root as he is england's best player, who knows if he is a good captain
  • Shame..... think a year or two more and it would be perfect time for Root to take over. I hope he carries on playing for some time. We need his experience.

Also hope for his sake, that Root will drop down to 4 if (when) he takes it. Will just take that little bit of pressure off.
  • Shame..... think a year or two more and it would be perfect time for Root to take over. I hope he carries on playing for some time. We need his experience.

Also hope for his sake, that Root will drop down to 4 if (when) he takes it. Will just take that little bit of pressure off.

I suppose that the emergence of Hameed and Jennings could enable Joe to move to 4
  • Sorry to see him stepping down as captain, I hope he carries on playing for England for a few more years
  • I also hope that we get the best out of Cook now as a batsman. What was Pontings record after he stepped down?

Feel very nervous about giving the Captaincy to Root, purely for the worry of how it will effect his batting. But then, Kohli and Smith haven't struggled?
  • still three or four years left to offer the test team in my opinion. Hope rooooooooot keeps up his batting.
  • the England captaincy is a demanding and draining job .. I'm not sure that Root is the right man for the role but it seems inevitable that he will be next up ...
    Cook can now get back to what he does best, scoring a heap of runs at the innings start, hopefully with Jennings as his opening partner ..

However, with Broad and Anderson towards career ends and a gaping hole in the middle order, all is not going to be smooth sailing for the next few seasons .. (AND where are the spinners ?)
  • Sorry to see him step down. Hope he stays on as a batsman and advisor to Root.
    Never thought he got the credit he deserved.
    Root may have to give up 20 20 otherwise he will burn out pretty quickly
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree all that has been said about Root dropping to 4 and in time having to give up the T20. However, I think that he will do it all for the next 2-3 years and then I expect that Hameed will take over as captain - he will be a long term Test player, already talks like a veteran and will not have the distraction of limited overs cricket so no question of "burn out".
  • The right tine for Cook to step down, it's a tough job being Captain, and Cook was never a natural tactically. What we need is a refreshed Cook ready to bat Australia into submission next winter!
  • Something tells me that Root shouldn't be captain at this stage, but there aren't too many obvious alternatives.
  • Root is currently VC - so, he is the next on the taxi rank.
  • Perfect time for cook to resign
    But not the best time for Root to take over.
    Root probably needs another year or so but he ain't going to get it
  • I can't think of any other captaincy options than Root. Jimmy and Broady wouldn't be long term options, and are both likely to be rotated to preserve their legs

If Root fails as Captain, we're really struggling.
  • Give it t' Ben Stokes - he'd thrive in an arrogant way to be the best when either batting or bowling.

Giving it to Root could potentially ruin our best batsman.
  • I'm wondering if stokes would "do a Botham" if he gets captain. I can't think of two many other players who would be long term guaranteed to start
  • Sponsored links:

• Except Moeen.
  • Know it's an unpopular opinion but there's a spot in the middle order up for grabs.

If Root's not quite ready, it might be worth drafting in Morgan to captain the test side for 12-18 months. He's not the greatest test batsman in the world but it's hard to argue that he's done a bad job of getting the ODI team to perform.
  • Know it's an unpopular opinion but there's a spot in the middle order up for grabs.

If Root's not quite ready, it might be worth drafting in Morgan to captain the test side for 12-18 months. He's not the greatest test batsman in the world but it's hard to argue that he's done a bad job of getting the ODI team to perform.

Quite like that. Get stuffed by Aussies under Morgan then theres the excuse to bring in Root after.
  • cfgs said:

Cripes. I wouldn't be shocked if he retired altogether at what is a very young age for a cricketer and got on with his life and farm.

cigs.....I'm a bit confused at your comments......retire altogether.......why would he want to do that?
    Getting on with his life......well his life's being a well paid test cricketer wouldn't you say?

God please no. Morgans first class record is terrible in the last few seasons.
  • KP and Strauss kiss and make up, he returns to right previous wrongs, make up for his terrible captaincy record, guide England to world dominance for 18 months and then hand the baton to a fully matured Joe Root.

#Fact
  • KP and Strauss kiss and make up, he returns to right previous wrongs, make up for his terrible captaincy record, guide England to world dominance for 18 months and then hand the baton to a fully matured Joe Root.

#Fact

Again please God no! KP has barely played any cricket in the last few years and his T20 record of late has been pretty poor. He only gets picked for these competitions because he is a big name and draws and crowd. He's not good enough anymore. Ignoring all the shite that went on before.

True.....however a bit of sympathetic licence is often given to the captains actual performance, providing the 'team' are being well lead.
    He may be a terrific captain given the chance.....who knows.
    I give you Mike Brearley as a classic example......arguably our finest post war captain, though he didn't exactly cover himself in glory at the crease did he!
  • edited February 2017

KP and Strauss kiss and make up, he returns to right previous wrongs, make up for his terrible captaincy record, guide England to world dominance for 18 months and then hand the baton to a fully matured Joe Root.

#Fact

Again please God no! KP has barely played any cricket in the last few years and his T20 record of late has been pretty poor. He only gets picked for these competitions because he is a big name and draws and crowd. He's not good enough anymore. Ignoring all the shite that went on before.
    Wooosh :smile:

True.....however a bit of sympathetic licence is often given to the captains actual performance, providing the 'team' are being well lead.
    He may be a terrific captain given the chance.....who knows.
    I give you Mike Brearley as a classic example......arguably our finest post war captain, though he didn't exactly cover himself in glory at the crease did he!
    True true. But the difference is Brearley had been a captain in country cricket for years and had been exceptional. And was certainly worth his place in the side at county level. Morgan has barely played 4 day country cricket in a few years. Was dropped for a period last season because he just wasn't performing. And only got back in the side due to injuries.