Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Something to fill the time

So, out of the blue on Jan 6th I lost my job. Absolutely gutted is an understatement especially considering I have baby number 3 due in April. I'm doing the whole job hunt thing for the first time in my life where I haven't got the option to be a picky. Terrifying stuff.

I'm trying to put some of this extra free time to good use by self-publishing a book that I've been writing for the last 8 months or so. I'm releasing a new chapter each week so it can be read and digested in a similar fashion to a TV Show.

Chapter 1 went live last night at the below link and I've had some really positive feedback so far. I hope you enjoy the read.

spudy2.wixsite.com/stlfseries/read-the-book

I know this is shameless self-promotion and I hate these types of posts myself so I totally get it if you read this and move on.

Comments

• Options
    Just read chapter one. I'm hooked now. I'll read as and when I can. Need to know what's going to happen now. So far very good. Love the bit with the cat.
  • Options
    I'll give this a go later. Good luck with the job hunt.
  • Options
    Good luck in finding a job Spud.
  • Options
    What job are you looking for?
  • Options
    Nice one mate, will give it a read later.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Good luck with your book. Have you found a publisher?
    I self published a couple of years ago using Matador/Troubador at Leicester.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your kind words.

What job are you looking for?

Well I've mostly been a "people manager" for the last decade so something along those lines. Typically in sales and/customer services or quality/compliance. At this point tho, I'll take what ever pays enough and will make the best of it.

Good luck with your book. Have you found a publisher?
    I self published a couple of years ago using Matador/Troubador at Leicester.

Not found a publisher, no. Trying to reinvent the wheel by releasing a chapter at a time on the website and hopefully create some sort of social media buzz.

Once it's all been released, I'll look at publishing a complete eBook and shop it round to publishers on the back of its incredible success ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    If anyone wished to like it on Facebook and stay updated on the latest chapters...

facebook.com/somethingtoliveforseries
  • Options
    25May98 said:

Just read chapter one. I'm hooked now. I'll read as and when I can. Need to know what's going to happen now. So far very good. Love the bit with the cat.

There's a cat?
  • Options
    iainment said:

25May98 said:

There's a cat?
    There's always a cat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

25May98 said:

There's a cat?
    There is always some pussy.
  • Options
    Cafcspud said:

iainment said:

25May98 said:

There's a cat?
    There's always a cat
    True.
  • Options
    fucking good that
  • Options
    Good stuff.

Was blocked at work so only just read it.
  • Options
    Cheers for all the feedback and thanks everyone who's read so far. Means a lot
  • Options
    Really enjoyed chapter 1. Looking forward to the others. Best of luck with the job hunt!!
  • Options
    a weekly serial ? .. Just what Dickens and H G Wells as well as many other famous authors did with their novels .. good luck with the 'book' and in your job hunt
  • Options
    A weekly serial indeed... it seemed like a good way to garner interest over time instead of releasing the whole thing and expecting it grow from there, especially without a publisher. I wish I could say I 'stole' it from Dickens.

Thanks for the well wishes, Lincs
  • Options
    Very readable so far. Good stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just read chapter one. Good stuff Spud
  • Options
    My cat just read it.

• Options
    Come on spud, get your act together.
    Chapter 2? What you playing at? :wink:
  • Options
    Chapter II is OUT NOW!! spudy2.wixsite.com/stlfseries

https://facebook.com/somethingtoliveforseries/ is the facebook page. Like it if you want to get notifications of the next chapter. 21:00 every Sunday night is the time to remember though.

A mate of mine has kindly created an improved cover for me!
  • Options
    Chapter III is finally here! A few technical issues meant it's going up a day late but that means there is less time to wait until the next chapter :)

spudy2.wixsite.com/stlfseries/read-the-book

Enjoy!
  • Options
    A very good read so far keep up the good work
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Gripped. I'm not into sci-fi but loving this. It's a bit '28 days later' ish but I'm sure it has got lots of surprises to look forward to.

How is the job hunt going?

• Options
    Good stuff again.
  • Options
    Chapter IV is out now - spudy2.wixsite.com/stlfseries/read-the-book

@25May98 - job hunt is going ok thanks, no one seems to be in as much of a hurry to get it sorted as i am though!