Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

President Trump

Comments

• Options

I wish him all the very best .. let's see what he's done in four years time .. he's in office, that's a fact, the USA is our biggest friend and ally, Britain has to get along with him

This
    Whether we like it or not America is our closest Ally .
    If they prosper we prosper
    If they go tits up well
    I know you don't like it, but Europe is our closest ally, just because they speak the same language does not mean they want or need the same as us. The USA looks after the USA.
    Your example is solidified by the US rushing to agree a trade deal with post Brexit Britain, whilst those spectacularly friendly, EU countires continue in thier efforts to stifle the UK in any way possible.
    Oh wait.
    Are they? What have "they" promised or rushed to do?
  • Options

Brunello said:

Like Brexit or the next Charlton manager let's judge him on performance not on pre-conceived opinion which is often wrong.

He got elected on a number of promises, some of which he went back on virtually immediately ( like Brexit ) so we do already know he IS a liar. We heard evidence from his own mouth that he is a mysoginist, sexist and prejudiced. I said he's a Xenophobe, maybe that IS open to interpretation. The rest is fact.
    Of course he's a liar, that's why he's become a politician.

Still amazes me how anyone can still honestly believe that ANY politician isn't in it for for anything other than filling their ego and their pocket.
    I truly believe there are politicians out there with good hearts, who truly believe that they have an opportunity to help people. But I also think they are the politicians whose names will never reach beyond their hometowns.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2017

I wish him all the very best .. let's see what he's done in four years time .. he's in office, that's a fact, the USA is our biggest friend and ally, Britain has to get along with him

This
    If they go tits up well
    I know you don't like it, but Europe is our closest ally, just because they speak the same language does not mean they want or need the same as us. The USA looks after the USA.
    Your example is solidified by the US rushing to agree a trade deal with post Brexit Britain, whilst those spectacularly friendly, EU countires continue in thier efforts to stifle the UK in any way possible.
    Oh wait.
    Mmm. Did I just hear him say that one of the rules was to "buy American" unless you are a manufacturer of tartan scarfs or shortbread biscuits I'm not overly hopeful a trade deal with USA going forward is gong to hit the heights.

• Options
    WSS said:

This
    If they go tits up well
    Oh wait.
    Haha, so you completely dismiss trump telling Michael gove that earlier this week then? Brilliant stuff.
  • Options

WSS said:

This
    If they go tits up well
    Oh wait.
    Haha, so you completely dismiss trump telling Michael gove that earlier this week then? Brilliant stuff.
    Yes I did actually. What was said - seriously? Just that they'd rush to agree a trade deal with us?
  • Options
    He looks like he's going to cry because someone left him hanging.
  • Options

Trump will only be a friend so long as we do what he tells us to.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    gotta hand it to him, "American Carnage" sounds like the name of a wicked film.
  • Options

Trump will only be a friend so long as we do what he tells us to.

That has been the way of things for decades
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

I genuinely believe that he initially done this as a joke/windup never thinking he would even come close and it just spiraled out of control

You are making the same mistake as his opponent's.
    Underestimating his ambition
  • Options
    May death come quickly to his enemies.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Controversial opinion time:

I have a degree of faith that the Trump that many people think exists, and actually voted for, doesn't exist. Whilst he's in office - if he remains so - he will be surprisingly competent and may actually do some good. He captivated the support of - racists aside - a share of the population which felt alienated from politics and as though their opportunities were no longer the same as they once were; he did this by:

- preying upon the manufacturing jobs that had been lost and claiming to take a strong stance on bringing jobs back to the US,

- providing a strong and vocal voice on issues such as Islamic terrorism, a voice expressed in terms so un-PC that no other politician would use them, (even if his opponents felt the same, they would always be more restrained.)

- positioning himself as a "Fuck you" to the very system that alienated these individuals.

Farage's influence on his campaign is pretty clear, and I'm quite surprised that no one has tried to subsequently implicate Farage with Russia to be entirely honest - not out of malice, but out of genuine curiousity as to how far their network overlaps. (A fringe politician in the UK being involved with the electoral campaign of the US President?! A tad bizarre.)

The only aspect that makes me think he needs to be investigated and potentially impeached is the allegations (and arguable proof) of Russian involvement/support. That's not to say his appointments have been particularly inspiring..

We live in interesting times.

Completely agree that Trump will change whilst he is in power, don't all politicians after the bravado and promise making of the election campaign? How quick did Farage retreat on the £350mill a week after the referendum result (as I am sure Remain would have retreated on some promises had they won-hopefully this will avoid a brexit debate)?

He is much smarter than people seem to believe. Much like Boris Johnson, extremely clever Oxford graduate, portraying that he is a bumbling buffoon. So I expect him to have much more of a political head on his shoulders from now on.

I do believe he will do everything he can to get American industry etc. back where the country believes they should be (pretty hard when you have to compete against the new super powers, India and China). If he does manage to get the economy booming again we could be in for a long stint of Mr Trump in the white house, even if this does cause huge social unrest.

I can't see him managing to not put his foot in it on multiple occasions, and as president (particularly one so prolific on twitter) this could be much more damaging than his questionable/abhorrent behaviour thus far. He is unpredictable and I can't see this leopard changing his spots. It'll be interesting to hear how he reacts to the first politician/news anchor/actor etc. speaking out against him with his new presidents hat on.

He will be entertaining, at times he will seem like a parody of what a president should be and he will be constantly on our TV screens. With this and Brexit we know what most of our news programs/websites will be full of for the next few years.

How did this happen...
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    With notable exceptions, and all respect to our American addicks:

The government you elect is the government you deserve.

Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

With notable exceptions, and all respect to, our American addicks:

Thomas Jefferson

Some might say that quote would also apply if Hilary won.

Problem; not enough choices.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Dave2l said:

bobmunro said:

With notable exceptions, and all respect to, our American addicks:

Thomas Jefferson

Some might say that quote would also apply if Hilary won.

Problem; not enough choices.
    Agreed. 325 million Americans and Trump and Clinton were the best two they could muster.

The quote applies to any election/winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

WSS said:

This
    If they go tits up well
    Oh wait.
    Always worth remembering the good old US of A will only do a trade deal with us if it's beneficial to them first,second and third. We mean no more to America than most other countries and probably less than a few .
    In all seriousness what are we going to base our trade deal on? Finance, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, software, agriculture? We may well have all of these but they do all this for themselves or have it closer to them already. The deal, if it happens, will be Very much one way.
  • Options
    How long before this thread appears on the arguments thread? I'll give it till page 4.
  • Options
    Have to say, this is the most relevant document I can think of at the moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    A breath of fresh air - the dollar is far too high after Brexit and I'm counting on Donald to help! What he does in America is between him and his fellow americans!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

First thing he wants to do is take away my healthcare, and potentially that of 22 million people.

The office of the President has changed almost everyone. It will not change him. I was someone who thought it would, but looking at his attitude during the transition and his cabinet appointments, it's clear that his ego is larger than the office. His cabinet is full of people with absolutely no qualifications to run the departments they've been put in charge of. Google Senate hearings for DeVos, Carson, Tillerson, Sessions, Perry, etc.

He has promised many things he cannot fulfill. Factory jobs aren't coming back. There is no way to expand healthcare without huge spending or socializing it. Many of his closest advisors would take away basic human rights (including voting rights) from minorities, LGTBQ+ people, and even Muslims and Jews. There is talk of creating a Muslim registry. He will not drain the swamp, he has instead filled his cabinet with some of the biggest Republican donors you can find, those who have more access because of money.

He and many of his advisors are currently being investigated for their potential ties to Russia.

He is currently in violation of the Emoluments clause of the Constitution.

I'm sorry this is rather disjointed but need to get back to working on a proposal for a technology overall for how healthcare payment systems are structured. Still trying to do my part in making Government work, even if we have so many in office and power now who are dedicated to tearing it down.

But apart from all that.

• Options
    Well he's toasting all your sweetbreads already. He's only been in for a couple of hours!
  • Options
    Shit loads of crystal balls from the snowflakes on this thread.
  • Options
    Personally think the guy is a tit,but will be interesting to see a business man in charge rather than a politician.