Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Updated Squad List - 18 January 2017

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hanlan joins Bromley for a month:
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/brandon-hanlan-bromley-loan-3529208.aspx

Probably confirms that Umerah is now ahead of him in the pecking order. Hard to argue. And Hanlan needs games at this stage in his development.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/brandon-hanlan-bromley-loan-3529208.aspx

Probably confirms that Umerah is now ahead of him in the pecking order. Hard to argue. And Hanlan needs games at this stage in his development.

Good move for him and Bromley.

@Ollywozere staying professional there by not saying "Neil Smith’s super Ravens currently sit comfortably in 13th position in the fifth tier"

As ever you stick an updated Squad list up and players move. Admin @stig @wss @i_b_b_o_r_g @AFKABartram can you update the OP please.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

@Ollywozere staying professional there by not saying "Neil Smith’s super Ravens currently sit comfortably in 13th position in the fifth tier"

As ever you stick an updated Squad list up and players move. Admin @stig @wss @i_b_b_o_r_g @AFKABartram can you update the OP please.
    Hells teeth, you had a Fallout with @LoOkOuT Henners? :wink:
  • Options

Terrell Thomas back from Woking might be the easier way to go. At least he knows English football and is doing well there.

Worrying that the huge gaps that appeared in our squad were nearly a week ago, with the window open and no movement. 2 players with little game time and an EFL novice is the sum of our transfer movement, with quality leaving. Top 6 is disappearing over the horizon.

Extended his loan until end of season
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

@lookout is so important mere mortals, even ones as important as me, can't speak directly to him.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

@lookout is so important mere mortals, even ones as important as me, can't speak directly to him.
    Should we start making fun of his username? That'll bring him back down to earth...worked for @Crabbies
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

Should we start making fun of his username? That'll bring him back down to earth...worked for @Crabbies
    Remember that His Magificance Lookout I, as he prefers to be known, can ban you so show some respect
  • Options

SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

Remember that His Magificance Lookout I, as he prefers to be known, can ban you so show some respect
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

Far too many "ok" players; nowhere near enough quality to compete at the top end of this league.

Most worrying is that Robinson's comments about strengthening the team have gone from feisty to wimpy in a matter of weeks. After the visit to Duchatelet and the apparent decision not to invest the Lookman windfall into the team, Robinson seems prepared to settle for much less than he would have hoped or expected.

I do still feel like we have slightly too high expectations for League One. This isn't a brilliant league. And yes, I know we're in mid-table, but Holmes, Magennis, Pearce, Bauer, Rudd, Texeira, JFC, Watt, Solly are all top players at this level. Same might be said of in form Nathan Byrne, Nicky Ajose, and maybe even Andrew Crofts. The issue is we've never had all of those players (or the departed Lookman and Fox) on the pitch at once.

I agree with you Davo that we need some more quality, particularly in the attacking third. But I don't think we're that far away. I've made the same point over on the match preview thread that I think one of our biggest problems is that January just isn't meant to build a squad, it's meant to tweak squads. And here we are, once again, needing to rebuild a squad. And short of paying 1m for the likes of Dempsey or Reeves, we just may not be able to get players in with the quality we need.

It's a great lesson, once again, to build better squads in the summer. I think Slade has to carry the can for some of that, given how poor and immobile our team was.

Lastly, I'd have Naby Sarr back. I think he's very raw but there is a fair amount to work with there. But I don't know that calling him back now (depending on how long Bauer is out) would make a lot of sense. According to Wikipedia, he's played 17 times for Red Star this season, anyone have any idea how he's done?
    Agree about the lesson not being learned but not so sure it was down to Slade. With RD holding the purse strings tightly and Km doing her usual negotiating "masterclass" I suspect it was more about his targets/wish list not being delivered.

Something that I'm sure is now happening to Robinson. Only difference being that it seems Robinson can adjust his sights/comments to suit the constraints - but that doesn't lead to us having a high quality first eleven or a squad more able to cope with injuries and absences.
    But Slade is the one who decided to fight over Foley and Crofts as central midfielders. And we chased Louis Thompson, a Norwich reserve, until seemingly the 11th hour. If we're going to call for managers to have control over transfers (and I've stated many times I'd rather we had a Director of Football for continuity), then they have to have a broad scope of transfer targets. That, to me, is the exact reason why you don't want to give managers that power, as they have enough work coaching the team.
    Not sure Jimmy Seed would have agreed with you!

But when managers come and go as frequently as they do now at Charlton, I can see your point.
    But most managers want at least some say in tranfers (third party ownership not withstanding of course!)
    There are a lot of great managers from the past who wouldn't agree with me, but I'd argue that the game has just changed so much. Gone are the days when Brian Clough can turn up at Dave McKay's house and not leave until he signs. With the amount of money spent, and as you said with the high turnover in managers, you need to make sure you're signing a player who will succeed.
    Exactly. A DoF is as much about continuity of managers as players...

Read about what Les Reed has done at Southampton.

Continuity in getting managers who fit into the club's philosophy and play in a similar way. Meaning that they will be able to utilise and get the most out of most of the players already there.. hence why Southampton have been able to maintain their rise despite losing managers (and players).

That is something that this regime don't get. They are now getting managers who know the leagues but they give no thought to continuity or succession. Whether the manager fits the club's philosophy and whether he will get the most out of the players there isn't something they consider. They just get someone who seems alright. Therefore every transfer window we end up rebuilding a squad to the latest incumbents philosophy only for him to be sacked before the next window.

This scattergun and hope approach is never going to work. They will never find a manager who can come in change everything in one window and bring success especially given the other constraints on them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 4s4 seconds ago
    More
    Anfernee Dijksteel has signed a new #cafc deal until the summer of 2020.