Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Taking corners

One thing that's been bugging me all season...

Why, when we have a corner, do we never have a player around the near post/near edge of the six yard box to flick on any balls that 'fail to beat the first defender'?
This would apply to around 50% of our corners this season, and around 90% of those taken by Lookman.

Didn't it used to be a tactic in the 90s, the near post flick on at corners? If I had a Pound for every unchallenged clearance header from a corner kick I'd have enough to buy Katrien a new pair of shoes.
Drives me nuts.

Comments

• Options
    Defending them properly would be nice too.
  • Options
    Our lack of height was exposed in the last 15 mins against Millwall in particular. Did we win any defensive headers?
  • Options
    Aribo's corners are excellent. I've not seen him fail to get past the near post.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Aribo's corners are excellent. I've not seen him fail to get past the near post.

One of the first ones he took in front of the covered end on Saturday was cleared by the first man.

But he has already shown he has better dead ball delivery than anyone else in the team.

Interestingly our team was one of the tallest last season, especially late on in the season;

Pope
    Motta, Fanni, Teixeira, Fox
    Gudmundsson, Diarra, Cousins, Suk-Young
    Sanogo, Makienok

Shortest player there is JBG at 5'10"

Now, aside from Konsa, Teixeira and Bauer who did we have to target in the box?

Rudd
    Solly, Bauer, Teixeira, Chicksen
    Crofts, Konsa
    Byrne, Aribo, DaSilva
    Watt

Next tallest player after those 3 was Watt, who doesn't jump for anything, and then maybe Crofts, who is 5'9"

Take away Magennis and Fox from the team and suddenly we severely lack in height
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Why, when we have a corner, do we never have a player around the near post/near edge of the six yard box to flick on any balls that 'fail to beat the first defender'?
    This would apply to around 50% of our corners this season, and around 90% of those taken by Lookman.

Didn't it used to be a tactic in the 90s, the near post flick on at corners? If I had a Pound for every unchallenged clearance header from a corner kick I'd have enough to buy Katrien a new pair of shoes.
    Drives me nuts.

near post flick ons seem to have gone out of fashion. The George Graham Arsenal team did that all the time, and while I can understand the continental type teams not using the approach, even the taller more British teams these days (e.g. WBA) don't really use that tactic
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Drives me nuts.

near post flick ons seem to have gone out of fashion. The George Graham Arsenal team did that all the time, and while I can understand the continental type teams not using the approach, even the taller more British teams these days (e.g. WBA) don't really use that tactic
    Eddie Firmani's legendary side of 1968-69 used the near post flick on from corners very effectively.
    Takes the keeper out of the game and completely wrong foots the defence.

• Options
    Talking of things bugging this season, is it just me or am I right in thinking our players slip over more than the opposition?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Talking of things bugging this season, is it just me or am I right in thinking our players slip over more than the opposition?

The disadvantage of wearing carpet slippers rather than proper boots with studs...
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Lookman's infamous free kick being an example.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    seth plum said:

Yes the only studs at Charlton are sitting in the East Stand
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

You could have a fucking monsoon at the valley and for some reason we would still water the pitch
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Roland has cut the studs budget and the players have to use screwed up duct tape.
  • Options
    While on corners, I always wonder why we cannot get more imaginative with free kicks. I was always wondering why, when Steve (hard shot) Brown played, the ball was not played sideways to Brown to shoot, away from the wall. I remember us doing once, (under Curbs I believe), but I am not sure if it was Brown. Sorry memory not so good at my age. Every free kick outside the area, seems to be shot at, or attempt to go round the wall, why not do as I suggested and play sideways to a player with a good shot on him, where the wall will not be in front of him? I do not get to see as many games as I used to, so sorry if this is happening but not being reported
  • Options
    I'll give it go, however play my slow down slightly, as I fold blanket, replace flask lid and throw myself from the top tear.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    ross1 said:

While on corners, I always wonder why we cannot get more imaginative with free kicks. I was always wondering why, when Steve (hard shot) Brown played, the ball was not played sideways to Brown to shoot, away from the wall. I remember us doing once, (under Curbs I believe), but I am not sure if it was Brown. Sorry memory not so good at my age. Every free kick outside the area, seems to be shot at, or attempt to go round the wall, why not do as I suggested and play sideways to a player with a good shot on him, where the wall will not be in front of him? I do not get to see as many games as I used to, so sorry if this is happening but not being reported

Yes, you see some goal-producing, quite intricate free kick routines on highlight shows. We tend to blaze them over the bar, or into the wall.
    And as for corners.....

PS Do you go as far back as the Jimmy Seed era by any chance?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

ross1 said:

Yes, you see some goal-producing, quite intricate free kick routines on highlight shows. We tend to blaze them over the bar, or into the wall.
    And as for corners.....

PS Do you go as far back as the Jimmy Seed era by any chance?
    Yes, born half way through, and taken as soon as my parents could to the Valley
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

JamesSeed said:

Drives me nuts.

Eddie Firmani's legendary side of 1968-69 used the near post flick on from corners very effectively.
    Takes the keeper out of the game and completely wrong foots the defence.

A recent (ish) game that comes to mind re near post flick ons is when Burnley, predominantly Andy Gray, beat us 3-0 at The Valley during the death throes of Pardew's managerial reign.

Needless to say when he joined us there was no repetition!
  • Options
    FC Slavia Karlovy Vary score from a bizarre corner kick routine during their 10-3 defeat by Slavia Prague in the Czech Cup.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56301959
  • Options
    I’m sure I saw Palace do something similar 😉