Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Loans and Youth Developmemt

Why are Charlton, taking a player on loan from Chelsea? I do not get the logic of taking a player untried and essentially for the benefit of no one but Chelsea.
We have a successful academy and have seen players in his position previously sold, who are no better or no worse. I get the point of not putting too much pressure on our academy prospects, but the fact is we are essentially allowing Chelsea amoung others to continue this ludicrous farce of hoovering as many players as they can, who will never even wear a Chelsea shirt in anger.
Someone here posted that Chelsea have over 40 players on loan. Why have Charlton thought this is a good deal for them? Surely if there is a gap, they bring a proven player not an untried youth who's place if you take it on a like for like , would've better served by blooding another home grown prospect.
The loan market is being manipulated so much these days, it needs to be reviewed, but again the FA do nothing. The comical thing is every year Chelsea will be lorded for winning yet another youth cup, yet not one of these players will go anywhere near the first team. Instead they are essentially touted across the other clubs to bring them a nice little profit as they are eventually sold on.

On a separate note it's good to see our one time England manager prove how useless he is. Apparently there are no decent British players available who are cheap in the transfer market and he needs to look abroad. Another example of no youth product or vision beyond the quick fix. Yet it's funny how Everton, Liverpool and few others have managed to bring through youth products or identify them in the lower leagues. Until clubs are forced to restrict their squads and have true home grown products to bring through and promote our youth, the international scene and the wider player development will continue to be lost. I just hope we see them relegated for employing someone so soon after the FA thought he should be removed from his England job only a few months ago. # no consequences.

Rant over!

Comments

• Have a cuppa tea man.
  • Can't argue with any of that, l absolutely loathe loans and Chelsea's game plan with kids.
  • @SidJamesfanclub

Who do you think is ready to step up from the Academy? You will have a good knowledge from you observations at SL.....
  • edited January 2017
    People are saying Archie Edwards isn't robust enough for this level but we get on loan a younger left-sided midget who will get knocked off the ball by a strong wind. Archie LB, Chicksen LM until injuries recover.
  • DOC64 said:

@SidJamesfanclub

Who do you think is ready to step up from the Academy? You will have a good knowledge from you observations at SL.....

People are saying Archie Edwards isn't robust enough for this level but we get on loan a younger left-sided midget who will get knocked off the ball by a strong wind.

I agree Archie is a really good prospect. He is stronger than he looks and has a good football brain.
    Too late, but we also managed to off load THD who I thought had great potential for Charlton. Not sure why he was let go.
  • DOC64 said:

@SidJamesfanclub

People are saying Archie Edwards isn't robust enough for this level but we get on loan a younger left-sided midget who will get knocked off the ball by a strong wind.

I agree Archie is a really good prospect. He is stronger than he looks and has a good football brain.
    Too late, but we also managed to off load THD who I thought had great potential for Charlton. Not sure why he was let go.
    £££££££
  • DOC64 said:

@SidJamesfanclub

£££££££
    True!
  • Might just be because it was his first game, but Da Silva looked a mile away from being ready from professional football for me. Ridiculous having to throw in an untried kid in what's our biggest fixture of the season.
  • Loaning in someone from Chelsea makes sense if the player is really good, and can make a difference, especially in a position we are weak in. Tammy Abraham (only 19) at brizzle is doing great things for them. Dasilva is well spoken about, but .....
  • Da Silva looked exactly what he is, a boy who may have potential. Just goes to show YouTube videos are a world away from proper scouting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Da Silva looked exactly what he is, a boy who may have potential. Just goes to show YouTube videos are a world away from proper scouting.

Are you reading Mr Driesen and you Meire and you Douchebag ?
  • Because it benefits Chelsea I doubt we had to pay a loan fee for him and I doubt we are paying much of his wages. Very cheap option.

For what it's worth I think the kid did well kon Saturday. You could tell it was his first appearance in senior football and he was nervous/shakey to begin with. But he kept his game simple, ran at his man and tried to get a ball into the box. He never hid and worked hard. Sure he's not the finished article bit I think he showed good signs and will be useful off the bench for us this season.

It wasn't the game to have to throw him in early for ..
  • Why?
    Our CEO polishing the vision, giving her customers another future premier league star to watch.
    Roll up, roll up!
  • To an extent I agree with the OP... I was talking to a Spurs fan at work the other week and Academy Football is so different to the Senior game; i.e. Just look at the level of kids that have been produced by both Chelsea and Charlton over the last few years.

Shelvey | Jenkinson | Gomez | Lookman | Elliott etc. they've all gone from our Academy to playing in the Premier League whilst Chelsea on the other hand only Nathan Ake (Bournemouth) was good enough to out on loan whilst in the last few seasons none of their kids upon being released / sold have signed for Premier League sides.

Regardless of that though we'll see Jay Dasilva (I'm simply using him as an example) as a better prospect than Archie Edwards simply because he's come from the bigger named club yet ultimately; Dasilva will go back to Chelsea, have a few more loan spells and will end up in the Championship - the likes of Edwards on the other hand will get into our First Team and will keep rising.
  • Might just be because it was his first game, but Da Silva looked a mile away from being ready from professional football for me. Ridiculous having to throw in an untried kid in what's our biggest fixture of the season.

We didn't have to throw him in, despite the injury. The whole signing was completely pointless. Even with Fox leaving, we signed Page to compete with Chicksen, so we should have signed a left-winger, not this guy, despite his potential.

It's all well and good playing our own youngsters with potential, but don't get signing this guy who might be good in a couple of years.
  • It could be part of a longer term plan whereby Chelsea have said take this kid, play him when you can, broaden his experience, and if you do a good job you will get a better player next year? Holding us to ransom, yes, but that's all we can hope for under this regime.
  • To an extent I agree with the OP... I was talking to a Spurs fan at work the other week and Academy Football is so different to the Senior game; i.e. Just look at the level of kids that have been produced by both Chelsea and Charlton over the last few years.

Shelvey | Jenkinson | Gomez | Lookman | Elliott etc. they've all gone from our Academy to playing in the Premier League whilst Chelsea on the other hand only Nathan Ake (Bournemouth) was good enough to out on loan whilst in the last few seasons none of their kids upon being released / sold have signed for Premier League sides.

Regardless of that though we'll see Jay Dasilva (I'm simply using him as an example) as a better prospect than Archie Edwards simply because he's come from the bigger named club yet ultimately; Dasilva will go back to Chelsea, have a few more loan spells and will end up in the Championship - the likes of Edwards on the other hand will get into our First Team and will keep rising.

To an extent that's a Chelsea issue, not a PL one. Spurs have produced a series of decent youngsters who have gone to to careers in or around the PL, Kane, Townsend, Mason, Livermore with the likes of Carroll and Winks around the 1st team
    Arsenal have produced more players than Chelsea, even if many have moved on to other clubs
  • Chelsea have won five of the previous seven F A Youth Cups so they must be doing something right for youth development.

Well you would think so until you see that only one player who came through their youth system has started a PL game this season. And he won't even be there next season - because, at 36, it's time for John Terry to move on.
  • Loftus-Cheek?
  • Sponsored links:

• Tammy Abraham must get a chance next season at Chelsea
  • Loftus-Cheek?

I did say "has started" a PL game. The earliest he has entered the field of play this season in the PL is the 82nd minute.
  • Tammy Abraham must get a chance next season at Chelsea

Wouldnt surprise me if he goes the same way as Patrick Bamford.

Great season in the Championship, has a pre-season @ Chelsea and is loaned to a Premier League club like Brighton or Burnley for the season and does nothing of note - The only saving difference will be Conte!!
  • Random thread bump

Fifa discussing the idea of limiting the number of players you can send out on loan to 8

Chelsea have 30+ on loan this season
  • Good, hope it happens.